Time to upgrade my phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Orbe, Sep 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been upgrading my equipment this year . So far I have bought CD player , amp and speakers. My goal is my end game system. I am now looking at phono stages the ones I have been looking at are the E.A.T. e-glo petite, Luxman E-250 and Icon Audio ps3 mkii .
    Please give your opinion on the above phono stages. Have filled out my profile as I thought it was about time.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Why don't you first tell us why those three are on your list? What do you use now, doesn't seem to be one listed in your profile?

3. Orbe

I started off with a Trichord Dino + then I got a Tron which was very good but it broke and I had to go back to the Dino. As fo why these three the Luxman mainly because I think the CD player is very good. The other two are from reading reviews and people’s experience on forums.

4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

In that price range, and for a tube phono pre, I'd also consider Herron, Allnic, and Modwright.

5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

The Icon Audio PS3 looks like a nice preamp - one thing that was interesting looking at the specs is the default gain options are 53db for MM, and 72db for MC. Interesting choices, on the high side...

Then only one loading config per input, 47K ohm MM, 100 ohm MC with no loading configuration options internal or external that I saw. Sure, loading plugs... but not my first choice.

For $4100 not much cartridge loading / gain flexibility, and the high gain limits cartridge choice a bit.

Orbe likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

One of the reasons I asked is those selections cover a pretty wide price range, with the Icon Audio being twice the price of the EAT, and Luxman roughly in the middle. That £1,200.00 - £2,400.00 range is pretty competitive these days, lots of really nice choices, but those are pretty solid choices too based on reviews.

Orbe likes this.
  7. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

You are in the UK- look into Whest phonostages :righton:

Orbe and alan967tiger like this.
  8. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Have the Icon Audio P3 Mk 2 phone pre and am a big fan. Paired with a Soundsmith Moving Iron cartridge. Very lovely sound.

Orbe likes this.
  9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

When I was researching to get a new PS -now Cyrus signature- I discarded the idea of the Luxman because I found some people complaining that it sounded dull, I don't know much about the other two.

Orbe likes this.
  10. Orbe

There was a Whest ps 30 rdt for sale the other day looked interesting but was sold within the day. Not sure about the Icon audio if I read it right you adjust the gain with the volume dial .

11. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Are Sutherland's available in the UK?

If so look at the 20/20

displayname and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. Ontheone

Have you determined if you want tube sonics or SS in your phono pre? If I were going SS I'd definitely look hard at the Whest. But if you love the sound of tubes you may find the Whest leaning towards a "hifi" presentation.

Orbe likes this.
  13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Shiit Mani I can highly recommend. $130 and you can dial in just about any cart. Stereo separation, dynamics really fantastic.

Had a Carey PH-1 for years, all tube.

14. Ontheone

A Schiit Mani is hardly "endgame" and would be quite inconsistent with the level of the OP's supporting gear. Mani is quite noisy and unrefined with MC carts in particular.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

+1

Orbe likes this.
  16. Orbe

I know it is a fairly wide price range, in the review for the e-glo petite the reviewer said they did to good a job with it and it’s performance is very close to their next model. As far as I can remember the e-glo s is about 2.6 k.

17. Orbe

Thank you for the reply’s. I did a bit more reading of reviews and forums and today bought a new Whest ps.30rdt we .

18. Ontheone

Congrats! That's a killer phono.

Orbe likes this.
  19. Orbe

Thank you. That is se bloody spell check. Got it for a good price they had it as NOS £3999 down to £2799 ,I also live in a place with no Vat so got it for £2332.50 .

20. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Enjoy! Report back on your impressions, it is not one that gets much mention around here and would be curious to hear your findings.

21. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Same here.

22. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

You may want to look into Graham Slee Accession with Enigma power source. I have the Reflex, one step down but by many accounts Accession is an endgame SS phono stage. There’s an MC. and MM version. It’s also much cheaper than the tube stages, though the designer has given it some characteristics of tube amps in the sound.

23. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Well done! A very neutral and dynamic phono stage with great flexibility. Please let us know how you get along with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.