Timewatching: The Divine Comedy Album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Nov 5, 2020.

1. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Idaho

I think I was initially put off by the slow pace back when I first heard it, but it's grown on me over the years. I actually like the arrangement of the released version. Wouldn't have made a good album track, but I enjoy it when I'm in the mood. 3/5

DaniMoonstar and LivingForever like this.
  2. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

Idaho

I enjoyed hearing the first performance from that night in Idaho, especially the enthused audience reactions that Neil seemed to enjoy. But in the light of day (and as recorded for the b-side), I’m afraid this song is colorless and dreary. I agree with @jon-senior and @LivingForever that the final version suffers from being removed once, twice, etc, from that original context. Simply put, it doesn’t travel well.

Echoes of the discussion about Charmed Life, it could be argued in some cases that such specificity in a song lyric (“Bertie”, or “Boise” in this one) can be detrimental.

2.0/5

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

Absolutely - it fits the concept of “Absent Friends” so perfectly that you can see why Neil was conflicted about whether to put it on the album or not.

And then I have to agree with @jon-senior that it was probably never better (certainly not fresher) than on that initial American tour. By Seattle a couple of days later, he’d ironed out some of the awkward lyrics, so plug a DAT into the sound desk and you’ve got yourself a B-side!

Having said that, I do get what others have said about the B-side feel being more world weary and perhaps better suiting the subject matter. Perhaps the best version would be one that starts as humorous and light hearted as the “day of composition” recording, but then gradually descends into the dirge-like slow monotony of the final B-side version.

All in all, I think it’s a 3 from me.

The Booklover and DaniMoonstar like this.
  4. a paul

a paul Forum Resident

Idaho 2.5

LivingForever likes this.
  5. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

“Laika’s Theme”: 2.5/5
    “Charmed Life”: 4/5
    “Idaho”: 1.5/5

6. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Idaho
    A pretty song, feels more than a b-side somehow. It fits the theme of the album well.
    3/5

7. LivingForever

"Idaho" managed to scrape together 33.2 points from its 12 votes, for a "still better than Utah" score of:

The Booklover likes this.
  8. LivingForever

Moving on to CD2 of "Come Home Billy Bird", today's song is:

Girl Least Likely

A song about a possibly fictional girl from Neil's secondary school called Alison Green, and what became of her after that. (another "Absent Friend", eh?)

Here it is:

Sadly that's the only version I have for you today, as despite it being played on the 2002 tour, I only have it on "the DVD that I can't share any more" ... ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    The Booklover and Hazey John II like this.
  9. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely.

Another case where I think it really reminds me of another tune, but I can't think what. Help gratefully received.

A glimpse of an alternate-reality version of the Divine Comedy where they went more in the jangly retro '60s indie style. I'm sure Neil was and is capable of doing a brilliant pastiche in this style, and it would be a worthy album inclusion. But on this occasion he missed the mark, and this is only a half-decent example of it. 2/5

10. lazzaa

lazzaa Forum Resident

I really like the guitar on this one, is it Ivor Talbot's last contribution, or does he appear on some other b sides?

Its a bit of a plain song, with a nice enough story. 3/5

Missed the last few days I'm afraid so quickly filling in there, 4/5 for charmed life - I also read 'and not long after that along came you' as a cynical take on how there's no such thing as 'the one' before later realising it was about his child!

Idaho I've always been pretty fond of. I think it's better than Leaving Today about a very similar topic, and I like the arrangement of it over the live versions. 4/5

Generally on Absent Friends, I think this process has made me revaluate it a bit. I've always considered this and Victory to be not very good compared to the rest of the Hannon canon, but laying it all out I really enjoy quite a lot of this album, I think I just find Sticks and Stones and Leaving Today to be such huge momentum killers so early in the album that I just can't face up to listening to the whole thing when given a choice!

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  11. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely

I feel that I should add that the B-sides and stray tracks from Absent Friends on are less familiar to me because it was only five years ago or so that I started searching them out, while I had owned the earlier B-sides for much longer. But I've heard most of them previously, so they are not completely new to me.

This is clearly a better track than the one from yesterday. The echo on Neil's vocals, particularly on the chorus, is effective, and the guitar backing is pretty great. Could have improved the album proper by including this one.

12. LivingForever

Good question! I hadn’t twigged that he’s playing on this track, thanks for pointing that out :)

He’s also on “Mr. Right”, which we will come to in a couple of days - makes sense since both these songs were being played live around the same time, so I guess they went in and recorded them whilst Ivor was still in the picture.

lazzaa likes this.
  13. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

Just to finish out my scores for the Absent Friends album..

Laika's Theme 3.5/5

Charmed Life - a beautiful song with beautiful sentiments that gets better with every listen. 4.5/5

14. jon-senior

jon-senior Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely

Much better than yesterday's track, though I'd agree with the decision to leave it as a b-side rather than include it on the album. Very much in the vein of Postcard To Rosie and Born With A Broken Heart - it suggests that Neil has a jangly folk side he feels the need to indulge sparingly. I like @LivingForever's suggestion of Alison as another 'absent friend', though I'm guessing that's a coincidental link given how old this song is - I had no idea until the forbidden video was posted that this dated so far back, and I would have assumed it was quickly composed and recorded around or even after the album as a b-side until then.

The guitar part is nice, and the backing vocals work well in the chorus. The narrative is simple but quite well told (though it's very 'of its time', isn't it - Alison as part of the dot.com bubble). Musically, I think the bridge lets it down a bit. Usually, I enjoy it when Neil launches off into a surprising set of chords, but here it feels a little awkward - a little like he wasn't quite sure what to do in the middle of the song, so ended up fudging it slightly.

3/5

15. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

Girl Least Likely
    I'm not familiar with most of the b sides from Absent Friends as I went off both DC and buying singles around this time (although I do have an Absent Friends single with b-side Mr Right).

On a first couple of listens I like it. Its just a sweet little story, told with kindness and sensitivity, over a nice 60s jangly, folky sound. I quite like the echoey vocal effect.
    (@Vagabone it also reminds me of something - hopefully someone will have an idea...:)).
    I'm glad its a b-side rather than on the album, as its just a little anecdote that works well in this context, but I think it would have fallen down if it had been tarted up too much.
    It sounds a bit 'Regenerationy' with that echoey woodblock thing, and the middle part where it goes off-piste for a bit about other people from school feels a touch awkward.

Lyrically, it could almost be a mirror image of the story of the woman in Wreck of the Beautiful l, and echoes Neil's own story a bit too; if its real, perhaps that's part of why it interested him? (If it is real, I hope he changed her name!).
    3.0/5.0

Same here! Hopefully the same will happen with Victory... :)

The Booklover and LivingForever like this.
  16. a paul

a paul Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely

Not that keen on this one. It has some nice sounds at time, but on the whole I don't like the lyrics and the tune doesn't grip me that much. No real desire to listen to it more than I have to!
    1.5/5

17. Hazey John II

Hazey John II The lyrics are fine, there's no problem there

This feels like the kind of song one might write after deciding to title an album Absent Friends. Obvious idea, but too predictable; it highlights how interesting and varied the album tracks are in how they tackle the theme. Fine for a B-side though, bashed out on acoustics, quite pleasant really - but XTC’s Harvest Festival did it better. 2.5/5

18. LivingForever

Oh boy, I can’t wait to hear what you all have to say about tomorrow’s song :D

The Turning Year likes this.
  19. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Charmed Life: 2.5

20. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

Oh really...? (Now I'm trying to guess what it is. If its what I'm thinking then.... yeah... :p)

21. DaniMoonstar

DaniMoonstar Forum Resident

Girl least likely
    A rather sweet little interlude, with a vague early 70s folkie feel: the acoustic a little evocative of Nick Drake (though not the vocal). Suits the nostalgia of the lyric, I think.

3/5

22. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely

Can't point to anything specific that bugs me, but this doesn't really grab me. I think the melody is just not for me. It's not bad though. 2.9/5

23. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

Girl Least Likely

A bit bland but otherwise a nice folksy diversion and a respectable b-side. I'm getting a Cat Stevens vibe at the start from the two acoustic guitars, but the rest of the song isn't Cat. It sounds very familiar (especially the backing vocals), but like the others I can't quite place it (the XTC track isn't the one I'm recalling).

For me the middle section is easily the highlight, adding needed variety, even if the transition to it isn’t the smoothest.

3.0/5

24. James Cunningham

James Cunningham Forum Resident

Idaho
    I have to agree that it is very much of its placement and time. Without an emotional connection, it comes across as a tad deary.

2.5/5

Girl Least Likely

A really nice song with some lovely chords, and a great vocal from Neil.

It definitely reminds me of something else, and annoyingly, I can't place it.

I reckon with a little more work, this could have scored very well from me. As it is, still a very respectable...
    3.5/5

25. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

"Girl Least Likely": It's fine. Nothing I'll go out of my way for, nothing I'll rush to avoid hearing. 3/5