To people who collect multiple copies of the same album..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usually if I have multiple copies of the same album it's on different formats. For example; I have Aerosmith's Greatest Hits on 8 track, Cassette, CD, and LP.

2. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Mono vs Stereo versions of the same album would be the biggest reason. Original pressing vs. newest audiophile release of a favorite album would be the other.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  3. plateofpasta

plateofpasta Forum Resident

Being somewhat new to vinyl I've only done this with a couple of artists, but it's mainly like others said and to find the better pressing.

But now that I'm learning more about this world I'm actually trying to avoid this entirely. To me, it's not fun (nor cheap). I want the best from the get-go so I'm doing a lot more research before buying and if I can get the best pressing (within budget) I get it or wait until I can find it.

I do have many of the same vinyl albums on CDs but that's for different reasons.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The multiple copies of the same album thing is something I can't do. I like to have some albums on original vinyl and CD but that's as far as it usually goes.

If I was to collect an album it would be Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols. There's so many interesting variations and label designs on that one.

5. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Most of my duplicates of albums have been due to me chasing better versions of the sleeve. eg Space Ritual by Hawkwind I started with a copy that never had the full fold out sleeve, then found a battered second hand full version, then got the same in good condition. I've followed this kind of path for quite a few Hawkwind and Black Sabbath albums. As well as that I ended up buying a lot of them on CD when I went in that direction.

6. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I’ve bought multiple copies of a few faves, due to remastering or color pressings & picture discs for fun. I have 5 pressings of Jeff Buckley’s Grace and still want the double 45rpm, the purple, and blue pressings. It’s probably due for some new anniversary reissue soon so I’ll be up to 10 within a couple years.

I also do it because I love opening a brand new fresh copy on special occasions like Christmas, etc.
    I already have 4 different colors of Aaron Frazer’s new album and I plan to get every variation pressed because I LOVE HIM :love: and love the album and because so far at least, I can! :wiggle:

7. cloneofkane

cloneofkane Forum Resident

I've bought some Japanese pressings knowing they'd be in better condition and reported improved SQ thinking that I'd sell the incumbent. Sometimes I have, but often I've kept both to A/B and for the appearance (I'm a sucker for OBI's).

8. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Digital is not a “collection”.

no.nine and Scott222C like this.
  9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’m in the multiple copies category.
    The two bands that I have the most multiple copies are Velvet Underground and Love (especially their first four
    Elektra albums) ranging from multiple vintage copies to reissues. For the Velvets and especially Love, I began collecting them in the late 70’s when they really weren’t that popular. Finding cheap copies in the wild wasn’t too hard and whenever I’d see them, I’d pick ‘em up.
    I still do if they’re affordable.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve been doing that with my Beatles collection - having a shoot out between the multiple copies of each album I own and picking the winner. But I end up keeping most of the “losers,” as, for example, I kept the lesser of my two UK pressings of Let It Be because the lesser copy is an export pressing with the Parlophone logo on the back cover, and the better copy has the Apple logo on the back cover. Beyond the sound quality of each album, I do collect the records for those little sleeve variations as well.

For the White Album I have five or six different pressings that I actually regularly listen to: mono box mono, original US stereo, original UK stereo, Mobile Fidelity stereo, and Giles Martin remix stereo among them.

One thing I’m trying to do is move some of the lesser pressings to my storage unit, both to save space in my house, and as a hedge against my house burning down or some disaster of that nature. If that happened, at least I’d still have some decent vinyl records stored safely in a separate location.

RSteven likes this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, for years in the 80s and 90s, I bought just about any cheap copies of Beatles/solo Beatles/Badfinger/Apple 45s I saw. I have boxes full of them that need to be sorted out and ranked and maybe get rid of some of the “losers.”

The Elephant Man likes this.
  12. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

I don’t have any multiple copies of any vinyl albums. Then again I haven’t bought a record since the 80s. I do have multiple copies of some on CD SACD/DVD Audio or HDCD if available but haven’t bought any Blu-ray Audio discs as of yet. Sometimes will buy reissues if they have desirable bonus tracks.

13. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I refer here to CD's mostly - I have bought a second or third copy of something because I want one down the the end of the house for that stereo and there was already one in the study to play on that rig.
    Sometimes there's another copy in the garage but either I can't find it or I'm too lazy to go and look for it. CD's are so cheap I see no reason not to do it.
    I just bought a second U.S. copy of 'Tellin' Stories" by The Charlatans, simply because it says The Charlatans UK on the cover - I like most of the songs and it has a killer drum sound...RIP Jon Brookes - a groovy drummer. I already have the UK CD version. In fact, I just noticed that the U.S. version has two extra tracks, which I did not know - thanks Discogs.
    I don't specifically seek out titles - I buy whatever is there at the thrift shop.
    However, saying that, I just bought a second LP copy of DREAM WITH DEAN - it was a Stereo and I already had a Mono copy, so I thought that would make a nice set.
    As others have said, there can be multiple reasons for buying them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The idea isn't to get them all...the idea is the get the best ones onto your NAS server and hard drive to make the thumb drives for your car...and then dump the extras before your wife catches on...! :hide:

Now that I've got the technology to help me appreciate what I've got instead of obsess over what I don't, it's all ergonomics from here on out, baby!

Of course, once I change DACs, or upgrade my headphones, I'm gonna have to get them all back again to re-evaluate...:yikes: :doh:

15. atcrowe1

atcrowe1 Forum Resident

In some cases, I have duplicate copies which at one time belonged to a close family member...usually they’re pretty worn out and don’t get much play, if at all - but they stay in the collection for sentimental reasons.

16. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I collect pressings from all over the world so I love multiples!

Jagger69 likes this.
  17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Then what would YOU call it, then?

Andrew J and oboogie like this.
  18. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

In reality digital is nothing but a bunch of downloaded files. Whether downloaded legally or illegally they hold no real tangible value.
    Any one can do it it at any time and they can also be gone in a second.

Scott222C likes this.
  19. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Physical media can be destroyed just as easily... At this point, I doubt the CDs I still have are worth a whole lot. They're in binders, jewel cases long gone.

Andrew J and oboogie like this.
  20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

People who buy multiple copies of the same album are idiots. That said, I bought at least 11 copies of BRAIN SALAD SURGERY. I am an idiot. :agree:

ARK, Andrew J, boboquisp and 3 others like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I enjoy hearing the nuances of different copies of my favorite LPs across various masterings/issues/pressing plants. It is also fun to do the detective work to research different pressings.

I end up keep most copies I acquire as I like having a variety of different versions to listen to depending on my mood or just for a change. Some titles have more variation than others.

From a pure collector perspective, I also like to keep backup copies of some of my top records. I like to have daily play copies and then some I can keep clean on the shelf. Have never been a flipper, it's just my own particular OCD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

I'm a fan of art work and gimmicky stuff. So if i find a copy of an album i love but already own, with inserts, posters, die cuts etc, ill grab that. That being said most of the duplicates i had i either sold or gave away. Most of my duplicates left in my collection are Beatles and Pink Floyd.

I don't consider mono/stereo variations duplicates. Since the ones i collect are mostly unique mixes, thus different listening experience.

Mostly my duplicates these days are upgrades from vg to ex or repress to Og. Ill eventually sell or give these away.

I have many cds that are duplicates of vinyl but thats a result of moving to digital in the late 90's to early 2000's. Im really glad i hung on to that worthless vinyl!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's also encouraging. Because maybe three copies just might not be enough! It's not an expensive album and I really love it so.... :bdance:

c-eling and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Spirits In The Material World" :tiphat:

Honestly, I love photos like that. There is one member here who has like 28 different pressings of "A Trick Of The Tail", ace! :righton:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Perfectly normal behavior.....o_O

Jagger69, Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.