"Toast and Marmalade for Tea" by TIN TIN, produced and bass guitar by Maurice Gibb, long version!!??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Loved this song as a kid. Always ended on a fade about 2:25 or so. To my surprise, there is a longer version that ends cold. I can see why they faded but it's neat to hear this longer version after 50 years of my creaky Atco 45.

The story goes they wrote half a song, and the underrated Maurice Gibb ran with it, added his wonderful bass line, produced and arranged it like a Bee Gees song (which I thought it was, back in 1970.) The accidental bumping up against a reel on the tape machine as it was playing inspired the wacky guitar wobble in this.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For whatever reason, this one worked my last nerve in 1970 so 40 extra seconds just sounds torturous but what the hey - God bless. :hide:

audiomixer likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Beautiful song

The follow up is pretty nice too

4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Thanks for posting this - I loved the song as a kid too although I never bought the 45. Was listening to it recently, noticing how the verses modulate up a couple of times in the arrangement and thinking the song probably could have benefited from a bridge, but it’s still a wonderful vintage piece as it is, plus it sounded so much like the Bee Gees at that time in their career.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Mooserfan and Grant like this.
  5. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Thank you, it's a wonderful record; the Bee Gees sure knew how to craft a song. I must have missed out on it during its initial release as I don't recall ever hearing it until 1993, when I bought Rhino's "Super Hits Of The '70s - Have A Nice Day, Vol. 16". Still, it blends in with my other musical memories of the era; I was a devoted listener to Top 40 AM radio.

Grant likes this.
  6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Another underrated Tin Tin gem.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Here’s an “enhanced” mix of the song I found

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You sound like my disjoined siamese twin! Not only did I also buy that Rhino CD in 1993 but I don't recall ever hearing that song in 1970, though it fits right in with "Little Green Bag", "My Baby Loves Lovin'" and "Which Way You Goin' Billy" that I do remember just fine as if it was part of my history. It brings back vivid memories of that late spring/early summer.

BryanW likes this.
  9. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Had to buy those Rhino CDs - every one - as soon as they came out; it was my youth on CD. Maybe it was our age, the times, or that we were just receptive, but those early '70s hits really click with me!

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I bought every one of 'em the minute they came out, even the "Soul Hits Of The 70s" series, The "Phat Trax" series, the "British Invasion" series, and others. It was my childhood and teenage years.

There are better masterings of many songs, and the HAND and DIBYM CDs don't always have the correct single versions, but they are all indispensable. They were essential for helping me to create my custom year-by year comps for every year of the 70s.

jeffrey walsh, SonyTek and BryanW like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Woke up with the song on my brain. Thanks a lot, me.

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Somehow I missed this song in 1970. The radio stations in my listening area either never played it , never played it when I was listening, or maybe it just somehow didn't resonate with me at the time. I first heard it in 2010 on a cable TV guide channel and said, "What's this? A lost Bee Gees song? I have everything by the Bee Gees and they never did this." Its wistful melody touched me somewhere deep inside, so I Googled it and found out that it was Tin Tin produced by Maurice Gibb. I now have both Tin Tin albums. It surprises me that the longer version of "Toast" wasn't included as a bonus track on the CD. The song still makes me all misty-eyed every time I hear it.

CliffL, RickH and chacha like this.
  13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I'd never heard of Tin Tin before. Amazing how much they sounded like the Bee Gees.

chacha likes this.
  14. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

and a few weeks later they recorded this one with Maurice Gibb

Crimson Witch and skyblue17 like this.
  15. It was through J Dilla's sampling of Tin Tin on his Donuts album that introduced me to these guys. Being a massive fan of the Bee Gees, it was a no brainer to explore the album. Family Tree is my fave track.

And only a mere 10 years later Kipner would co-write ONJ's Physical

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Toast & Marmalade before. I don’t think it got played on AM radio in San Francisco at the time. I like it better than some of the Bee Gee stuff around then. Thanks

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I liked it when it came out but it always sounded like the tape player on the backing track was broken. Gave me a headache but great lyrics and chorus.

18. Famously copyrighted by Yoko in 1985.

She thought it was a legitimate outtake!

Lost In The Flood and LFSDoc like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

That really made me laugh. My mom said almost the same thing when I played her this 45 in 1970.

Manapua, CliffL and JamieC like this.
  20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

It's a lovely late 60s tune. Great to hear those extra seconds! I worked my way through a bunch of their songs when I discovered T&M4T a few years ago. It's definitely their best song, but there are several others that are pretty great. This one reminds me a lot of Honeybus' I Can't Let Maggie Go.

21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I bought this single in the spring of 1971, probably my first Australian record. It was a pretty big hit in Southern California, as I recall. I never hear it on radio anymore, but I still really like it today!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this!

Maurice's bass playing does not get enough attention!

23. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Wow, I haven't heard that song since it was popular, and I had completely forgotten about it despite loving it then. Thanks for posting this, it really brought a smile to my face!

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Wow! Love the cold stop.

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Only Ladies Play Croquet is my favourite. Does anyone know if the full version of TAMFT is on a CD?

Hiraeth likes this.