Todd Rundgren, Micky Dolenz and others touring the White Album this summer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Christopher Cross never appealed to me, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. Take him out, add Glenn Tilbrook and I'm sold.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Christopher Cross is there because he has a beautiful pure high tenor voice. And like David Pack of Ambrosia in the first A Walk Down Abbey Road, just because he had a bunch of soft rock hits doesn't mean he can't rock out.

longdist01 and sjaca like this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Maybe he can, but well?

No, “Ride Like the Wind” will not be allowed as evidence.

4. Chris DeVoe

Well he did a damn fine job with the second tour of A Walk Down Abbey Road and with the Sgt. Pepper's tour.

I haven't been able to find a long video, here's a clip of him rocking out on Revolution.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

One time fill in for Deep Purple:

That Time Christopher Cross Filled in for Ritchie Blackmore

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm willing to see Molland in this setting. I'm not interested in hearing his "Badfinger" show.
    (He actually could do a cool 'Badfinger' show of just his tunes, without Ham's stuff!)
    I loved Todd's version of Hold Me Tight form way back when

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Well, I’ll give this stuff a listen later, when I can.

You make a fair point. I just know I’ve never cared for Mr. Cross, at all, but I’ll admit beyond his radio hits I know nothing more of him. It’s a point I’ve made when people don’t know favorites of mine beyond the radio stuff too. I’ll report back.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

I honestly don't know him very much either, but I downloaded his 2013 live album A Night in Paris on Google Play Music to check it out.

Part of Christopher Cross's problem is that he came out of nowhere, won five Grammy awards on his first album, then won an Oscar for Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do).

But then MTV happened and it was hard times for pudgy balding guys. He had nowhere to go but down. And, like Todd and many of this Forum's favorites, once radio has found the pigeonhole they've decided you fit into, they are not going to listen to anything else you're going to try.

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I saw the Pepper show he did with Christopher Cross, Denny Laine, Bo Bice (!?!?) and Lou Gramm (although Lou wasn't at the show I saw). It was really entertaining. I would see this show. Especially since Greg Hawkes is likely to be on keys again as well.

11. Chris DeVoe

If Todd is putting this together, he'd use his regular band of Prairie Prince on drums, Kasim Sulton on bass, Jesse Gress on guitar and Greg Hawkes on keys.

longdist01 and ampmods like this.
  12. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

I would definitely go see this. Why the heck not? Sounds like a good time. I saw Todd last year, and though I didn't really know his music, he put on a spirited performance. His fans sure loved it, especially that skirt-wearing lady that got so excited that she slid down in her chair and lifted her feet heavenwards. Actually I guess she was pointing her feet towards Todd in absolute ecstasy. It looked like she was begging for some post-show meeting time, but I fear she was passed out by then. :disgust:

Bruce, The Panda, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  13. Billy Taylor

Billy Taylor Forum Resident

Yes, but our neck of the woods usually gets passed by. I would go see this in a heartbeat.

longdist01 and Mark B. like this.
  14. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yeah. If they play NC at all, it'll probably be Raleigh/Durham or Greensboro.

Billy Taylor and longdist01 like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

16. Chris DeVoe

It was just officially announced:

It Was Fifty Years Ago Today – Tour 2019 – A Tribute To The Beatles White Album feat. Christopher Cross, Todd Rundgren, Micky Dolenz, Jason Scheff and Joey Molland!

Tour Dates:

Sept 21 – Atlantic City, NJ – Golden Nugget
    Sept 28 – Akron, OH – Akron Civic Theatre
    Sept 29 – Danville, KY – Norton Center
    Oct 1 – St. Charles, IL – Arcadia Theater
    Oct 2 – Milwaukee, WI – Pabst Theater
    Oct 5 – Beverly, MA – Cabot Theater
    Oct 6 – Concord, NH – Capitol Center For The Arts
    Oct 7 – Orono, ME – Collins Center For The Arts
    Oct 8 – Ridgefield, CT – Ridgefield Playhouse
    Oct 10 – Staten Island, NY – St. George Theater
    Oct 11 – Boston, MA – Berklee PAC
    Oct 12 – Westbury, NY – Theatre @ Westbury
    Oct 13 – Morristown, NJ – Mayo PAC
    Oct 15 – Glenside, PA – Keswick Theatre
    Oct 17 – Red Bank, NJ – Count Basie Theater
    Oct 18 – New London, CT – Garde Arts Center
    Oct 20 – Washington, DC – Warner Theatre
    (Additional shows to be announced soon!)

Okay they're going to be doing songs from The White Album - which means they're not obligated to do stuff like Revolution Number 9.

Little bit of text on the poster says Not affiliated with or endorsed by the Beatles individually or collectively. So they might actually make some money on this tour - the fee they had to pay the Beatles to do the Sargent Pepper's tour prevented that from making any money.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    kozy814, arob71 and AlienRendel like this.
  17. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

No McDonald, no sale.

rswitzer, kouzie and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I just watched that clip yesterday. Dude was ubiquitous for a while.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not sure how much Molland is going to bring to this other than hopefully some Badfinger songs to flesh out the set.

While I am a fan of his contributions to Badfinger and solo work, seeing him live last year I found he does not have much of a voice left and he is not in Todd's league as a lead guitarist.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm going to 10/13 Morristown, NJ.

21. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Somebody with greater knowledge might correct me, but I think money is definitely a prime motivator for Todd to do this. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I recall reading somewhere a while back (can't recall the source) that Todd's Hawaiian estate is costing a fortune to continue to live in and that he has to do a lot of things these days at age 70 that he may not necessarily be into creatively in order to keep cash flow going. If that is true, it is tragic for an artist of Todd's creative stature to have to be on that hamster wheel. Although on the flip side, that would be the price you pay for living it up in Hawaii vs. his old haunts in the Catskills and California.

22. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I think you're spot on. Todd made comments about the New Cars project that he took it because he needed the money. He's also taken part in Bowie tributes in Europe this year. I don't know if he had some bad business deals in his career, made bad investments in tech, or electing to follow his muse with experimental projects in lieu of more commercial recordings left him in dire straits financially but I'm pretty sure Hello, It's Me and Can We Still be Friends aren't providing for him in his golden years.

Autotune Sucks likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wonder if he is getting any coin off Bat Out Of Hell going to Broadway. Likely his biggest cash cow.

I also bet Bang On The Drum All Day earns more money each year than I have ever earned in a year.

Autotune Sucks and blastfurniss like this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing the lineup, Joey does a decent job on guitar. None of these guys is getting younger and they all have Bills to pay!

Autotune Sucks likes this.
  25. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Arthur's Theme #9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.