Tom Cruise stars in impassioned PSA against motion smoothing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sometimes it's helpful...rarely though.

2. Michael

no it doesn't...that's YOUR opinion...

bopdd likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

...and with hybrid interlacing! :)

Vidiot likes this.
  4. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Probably depends on what your ultimate point is. If you think that motion smoothing doesn't completely change the dynamic of the film, then you're missing the point by a wide margin, and it's not really a matter of opinion. If you're just saying that people enjoy the films regardless, then it is indeed my opinion that you're still missing the point (even if your assessment is technically accurate).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Michael likes this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

:hurl:

6. Michael

gotcha...

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oddly, I have yet to see a prominent golf legend make personal statements about pixel resolution, or Blu-rays released in incorrect frame ratio. Why, it's almost like they just don't care about social injustice...:tsk:

8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Are you being sarcastic here? What does golf have to do with film? And what does this issue in general have to do with social injustice?

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My main TV is pretty old so not affected (yet) but definitely noticed this on my brother's TV not too long ago.

Was an older movie and I kept staring at it like something didn't feel quite right. Now I least understand it and it's interesting as a goof on movie watching, but I think I'd at least want the option to turn it off.

I hope it's generally an option still, at least?

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The assertion that the LCD artifacts are only related to frame rate and Plasmas are therefore similarly disadvantaged is incorrect.

Here is a nice article on how sub-field drive enhances motion response on plasma TVs with no need for frame interpolation.

Understand the Refresh Rate and Sub-field Drive on a Plasma TV

unclefred likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Check your settings...your Whimsey Filter may have accidentally switched off...:rolleyes:

Start with post #46...;)

Gary7704 and Ghostworld like this.
  12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Yes, I saw that earlier (and read it as being sarcastic), but then got confused by your follow up. I guess you've found your thing and are really running with it.

13. Michael

uh huh...gotcha!

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I go to people’s houses that have cable, that offers both the SD and HD versions of networks. And they have a package where both are available. But half the time they are watching the SD stretched to fit the box, instead of the HD. Because they can’t bother to switch from channel 253 to 553 or something.

It’s incredible.

I mean I’m not one of you video guys. But jebus... who can’t look at that and think WTF?

15. Dillydipper

Gotta admit, I'm probably due for a fresh pair of New Balance. See, the notion that a major star like Tom Cruise looks around at all the famous names standing up for #metoo's, and Lives Mattering, and candidate platforms and saving whales...and he finally takes a bold step out of his comfort zone...to bravely crusade for the intense controversy of a setting on an HDTV set...?

How does a human not catch that. I suggest one checks occasionally to see if there's any distilled water left in the reservoir of your irony.

16. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

What point were you trying to make when you brought up the golfers, exactly? Furthermore, why would it be unfitting or even ironic for Tom Cruise, Chris Nolan, PT Anderson, and others to step out and talk about something that affects them and their craft directly? I think the irony here is in your assumption that you're making intelligible or convincing points.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll grant you that plasmas are not affected to the same extent as LCDs due to sub-field processing which basically keeps a frame alive (ie, frame image doesn't decay) because additional electrical pulses are being sent out to the pixels between the TV's native refresh rate.

This does improve motion handling, but it does not completely eliminate the issue.This why the smoothing option was still available in plasma TVs.

18. This sort of crap makes me think I should just stick with a CRT.

19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

There's also another issue not mentioned here about this HDtv feature and that is it goes by other names according to brand. This thread peaked my interest on the subject to the point I checked to see if my $230 Samsung HDtv I bought at Walmart about 5 years ago had this feature and I couldn't find it in the Picture Option menu section which is quite easy to find and access. My "Motion Smoothing" is called "LED Motion Plus" and this is what it does...

What is LED Motion Plus technology in Samsung H Series TV? | Samsung Support India

So they adjust the LED backlight strobe frequency speed to mimic a CRT's. That explains the sea sickness effect comments here. I have this turned off.

I may have to give it a try and turn it on because it might explain the creepy smooth movement of the restored "Twilight Zone" episodes that played during a marathon on the ScyFy channel several years ago. Anyone notice that? I'm now down to basic cable so I don't get those channels but TZ does play on MeTv and they don't have this look and feel.

20. Dillydipper

Is your whimsey filter by any chance connected to your obstinance module by a USB 2.0 cable...?

I just used "golfer" because I already used "movie star", and "sports figure" didn't sound right, so I just opted for one prominant random celebrity profession I don't see engaging themselves in political, social, commercial or spiritual controversies outside of their own personal expertise that could elicit a backlash from people less likely to appreciate famous people using their notariety to forward thinking and public discussion that conflicts with their own less-evolved worldview, thus blaming stars for getting attention to opinions they don't agree with and somehow becoing an Enemy Of The People because they themselves haven't engaged in positions that could put them in the public eye as well, to forward their own views instead of camping out in the basement of their mom's house at their computers hacking away at their Facebook-trolling crusades with the talk radio dimming their intellects IQ-point-by-IQ-point loudly in the background as the hosts try and make them fear Hollywood and critical thinking and strangers and progress, instead of considering that if a person with a public career is taking a break from furthering his own fortunes by instead using his high profile to get you to stop and think about issues affecting both you and your family and all the neighbors up and down your own street and how much better your world could be for the lot of you if you only thought outside your own bubble with an iota of compassion for others instead.

So, I chose "golfer".

Now, to save you the exasperation of trying to numbly ask my meaning of this latest explanation, and misunderstanding my time spent openly answering your questions as if this were me being patient and generous, I can make it a bit easier on you by offering this alternative that will contribute to your understanding, in the earnest manner in which it was offered. That big paragraph up there was one, carefully-crafted sentance, intended to help you with your queries, as well as engage your intellect and stamina as well. So, you might try reading it aloud, slowly, to help you include the punctuation and pacing as required to bring out the emotions and deeper meaning, and try your best to do it all in one breath. If at first you fail, you could take deeper breaths and start over, helping your facial features, eyebrows and head-bobbing encompass the entire, intended interpretation, paying heed to syntax, voice quality and speaking dynamics.

If you can practice and bring yourself to the point where the sentance is understood, no only by others, but yourself as you grow deeper concentration with every attmpt, you will have achieved the desired effect.

Which is to waste more of your breath - and time - reading what it is I was trying to get across, and less asking dumb leading questions trying to drag me into your dismissive attitude for the points I was trying to bring to this nuanced discussion...but, probably not engage further with you. :wave:

dewey02 likes this.
  21. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Now this is irony!

showtaper likes this.
  22. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

He's an Unstable Genius.

Jazzmonkie and audiomixer like this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Looking at this "Cruise Crusade" from a business standpoint it comes down to whether the majority of folks would rather watch a first release movie in a calibrated digital movie theater or wait and watch the Blu-ray disc on their factory default setting HDtv they spent nearly a fortune on and maybe decide in hindsight they should've watched it at the theater. I don't know the numbers on which format brings in the most dollars.

The OP's linked article on this subject not only covers the default setting of "motion smoothing" but also color and contrast. I've been in the imaging industry most of my life and even the cheapest HDtv offers some very sophisticated image adjust features that rival what I can do to improve an image in Photoshop and most folks don't even know where or how to access these tv options and features. The HDtv manufacturing industry could just set the defaults to "Movie mode", offer a more neutral white balance to make images match Rec 709 standards in brightness and contrast.

Put the really sophisticated settings like "motion smoothness" within a two button access menu, not bury it several nested menus down. The manufacturer could call it Blu-ray Cinema Standard setting.

Heck my 20 year old Pioneer car CD player offers several default EQ settings for different genre's of music. Why can't the HDtv manufacturers off something similar. It just might make Blu-ray sales increase.

Jazzmonkie and apesfan like this.
  24. Dillydipper

High five! :laugh:

25. Tim Lookingbill

Well it looks like the streaming content providers care enough about this subject to offer a setting outlined in this article:

New Sony TVs Will Come With "Netflix Calibrated Mode" to Display Content as Filmmakers Intended

How hard would it be for HDtv manufacturers offer this type of viewing mode as default. I have mine set as such and I can still watch sports events just fine. In fact it looks a lot more real. I just might turn on motion smoothing to see whether it improves the experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.