Tom Cruise stars in impassioned PSA against motion smoothing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nope not with my player.

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If you turn the motion smoothing off, but you have a 120hz tv, does panning a exhibit judder?

My current tv is only 60hz so it looks like crap whenever there is panning, since I keep the motion smoothing off in order to avoid the glassy soap opera effect.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Weren’t SD channels forced to go HD about a decade ago? How are there still SD channels being offered on cable?

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm not an expert on HDtv frame refresh rates since I only know about computer frame rates which are fixed at 60hz where there's no motion smoothing option. I never get jutter in panning scenes on Blu-ray through HDMI connect on my 27in. LG computer display which provides both cable tv HDMI and Mac Display Port HDMI adapter.

Just guessing but you might try changing between interlaced vs progressive scan if that option is offered or is controllable either within your tv settings or content device provider like cable or Blu-ray player.

5. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Tom Cruise might be in favor of something that would conceal his mono-tooth being automatically set on your TV and buried in 23 sub-menus that were all displayed in Chinese.

If the movie "Taps" shows up on cable again you might wish to take a peek and remember just how geeky he looked before the surgeons went to work. He got his monies worth!

Also, as far as new TV's go, first this I do is search this dang fangled new Interweb thingy that Al Bore invented for the optimal settings for the model that I just bought.

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

This thread could use emotion smoothing.

Dan

Kyhl, Vidiot and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

As best I can tell, my new low-end LG TV doesn't have Motion Smoothing.
    Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

8. alexpop

Automatically built in?

9. zakyfarms

Seems unlikely in a low-end model, but I guess it's possible.

10. alexpop

Sports look good?

11. zakyfarms

meh. Nothing looks too great. I invest in audio, and let the video chips fall where they may.
    It's an LG 49LJ510M.

showtaper likes this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Makes me wonder what else they have a distorted understanding of.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love it. Thank you Tom. It drives me crazy that motion smoothing is default on so many sets. Music to my ears that he’s talking about this.

enro99, reapers, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I find it very easy to turn off Tom Cruise.

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Let me ask all of you a different question: How importation is motion smoothing for sporting events? I have it turned off for all events and I never thought to myself.....gee I should turn this on for the football game.
    So does anyone who has it off notice anything for sports?

16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

When you are a monopoly, you can offer anything you damn well please. I don't think that the current climate at the FCC would compel them to further regulate the cable monopolies.

17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I like it for hockey, because the players and the puck are almost constantly moving at very high speeds. Football & baseball have lots of stops in the action so you don't notice as much. Basketball is somewhere in between.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

My company got one of those. Amazing how much TV one can get now for so little money.

Tim Lookingbill and Doug Sclar like this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

whoa, does tom owe you money?

chacha likes this.
  20. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I know they say he’s crazy, but damnit is that not the coolest PSA?!

Most people wouldn’t care. To me that shows one more ounce of dedication to the art.

chacha, Tim Lookingbill and Rhett like this.
  21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Had a very similar experience when I bought my first HD set a decade ago. I couldn't wait to watch some of my favorite shows on it, but was instantly befuddled by a strange "video" look to shows that I know were shot with film. After an hour or so of trying to get used to that look, I started scrolling through the menus to see if there was a way to fix things. When I saw the motion smoothing option and saw that it was "on," I turned it off to see if that would help. Bingo!

I still have the same TV today and have never turned the motion smoothing back on.

BZync, Vidiot and Rhett like this.
  22. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

I wish!

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The director in the mobile truck working on the game doesn't see a monitor with motion smoothing. Why see something that the people who are actually making the TV show don't see? To me, it's the video equivalent of cranking the bass up to "11": the people who recorded a song probably don't want their listeners to hear their music with excessive bass.

Some cable & satellite boxes will let you lock out unused/unwanted channels. I generally turn off all shopping, foreign-language, religious, and standard-def channels. I can't be bothered with that crap. In general, the HD channels get it right, but there's always an infomercial on at 3AM where somebody decided to fattenize it and force a square image to fit the 16x9 frame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    chilinvilin, Kyhl, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sports are broadcast in video frame rates (30-60 FPS), so motion smoothing is not necessary. Except for something like NFL Films, live sports are not captured in 24 frames per second. Motion smoothing just makes 24fps stuff look like it was shot on video. It’s an idiotic “feature”.

25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Will that still work if I don't golf?

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.