Tom Cruise stars in impassioned PSA against motion smoothing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Your posted Aspect ratio example is similar to a "Zoom" effect I'm suppose to get on my Spectrum cabletv digital box HD settings.
    It never works on "AntennaTV channel" (vertical squeeze ratio) and "Justice channel" (horizontal stretch ratio). I have to access my Samsung HDtv's "Size" setting in Picture Options menu and choose "4x5" instead of "Fit To Screen"(proper aspect ratio for the rest of the HD Basic channels package). It's a hassle to have to do this on only two channels and these are channels I occasionally watch. Sometimes I just watch these two with the wacked out aspect ratio as is.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They can actually line-double live sports telecasts up to 60Hz, but it doesn't make the picture any better to me.

3. Tim Lookingbill

I agree especially since I just tried it on my Samsung's named "LED Motion Plus" and all it does is make my screen go darker. I couldn't see any soup opera effect even on reruns shot on film like "Gunsmoke". So I guess it might be broke or not implemented the same as on other HDtv's.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes. I wish HBO would stop blowing up most 2:35 movies to 16:9 though. It’s usually obvious and looks too tightly claustrophobic and close. I usually decline.

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I showed my parents the Tom Cruise PSA and they let me "Fix" their tv.
    I asked them if it looked better and they said they couldn't tell the difference.

Kyhl, budwhite and LivingForever like this.
  6. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I will say that on some TVs (or with some TV settings) it definitely looks worse than on others, so there are degrees. But when it looks bad it's really, really obvious.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's not always true. It's possible in some circumstances to create a 1.78 version of a scope film if it was shot full-aperture, just removing the letterbox and then adjusting the framing to compensate. So sometimes you see more in a 1.78 version. But if it's anamorphic, chances are they did have to blow it up 20% or so. But I agree that HBO should stick with the original aspect ratio.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes agreed it’s not always true. When it’s opened up I often enjoy it more. But I can tell immediately when it’s blown up which is often the case and it loses its composition and doesn’t feel good to me.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is inarguably bad. I have done many pan/scan projects before, and generally at the end of the session my face hurts from wincing. :sigh:

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Geeky"? :confused:

[​IMG]

11. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

12. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The only excuse for motion smoothing would be to make old kinescopes look a little like videotape, but, really, there are more important things to get worked up about.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You found one awkward picture of a teenager - you win! :sigh:

14. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

15. BZync

BZync Senior Member

When I bought my TV I used the Blu Ray of the Godfather as my reference disc, as it looked like film (as opposed to video). I tweaked it bit by bit for about two weeks. Once I was happy with the presentation of that disc - everything else looked fine to me.

16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

It's great to see Tom in his air force flight suit. They've been talking about Top Gun 2 for decades, and it's finally happening. :righton:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We can fix the duplicate-field problems in other ways now and do an "inverse telecine" process on it. Not the same thing as motion-smoothing.

18. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I like motion smoothing. Life doesn’t have a frame rate.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I only have Amazon from the many available streaming sources.
    The HD stuff I've watched are OK quality wise.
    Films seem to be better quality than the TV type serials...……. I do notice some judder/jump issues with the serials.
    I was just wandering if the [PAL region] TV's media player automatically adjusts to the correct fps when streaming the serials/other items?

20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I don't have any of these issues on my 16mm projector.

21. Tim Lookingbill

I may disagree on the aesthetics of your POV, but I do like the way you think.

I think a pretty good and original horror movie could be made using this liquid like movement similar to
    the Blair Witch Project's hand held video cam look which actually made me nauseous viewing on the big screen in the theater.

Bill Larson likes this.
  22. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

So why aren't more companies restoring kinescopes that way for DVD? Too expensive?

23. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

This may have been mentioned but a great place to start for TV settings is a site called rtings.com .plug in your model, and there is suggested settings to minimise any annoying factory defaults.

Dudley Morris and konut like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The major reason: no one cares, at least not a wide mass-market audience. And the longer time goes on, the less people care or even remember. Obscure shows and broadcasts tend to get more obscure and more forgotten as time goes on.

I think every TV show ever broadcast should be saved in some form, and the studios, networks, and distributors should all make a greater effort to release everything at least via streaming.

I would take this with a grain of salt, because there's still a danger in setting contrast, brightness, and color temperature wrong. If you don't have scopes and reference signals, it's all guesswork. It's kind of like saying, "I have a Pioneer XYZ receiver and I listen at '6' on the scale and it sounds great." Ten other people might try '6' on the volume scale and hear completely different levels. The numbers are just random numbers -- they don't really mean anything.

SamS and chilinvilin like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to update this thread: no less than Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy and The Orville has spoken out against motion-smoothing in TV sets. His exact quote is:

"Don't get me started on that ****!"

Very funny and interesting article.

Motion Smoothing Is Ruining Cinema

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.