Tom Petty talks about Huey Lewis' music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murat, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Indeed. Not sure why Tom Petty needed to criticize Huey Lewis. I like both artists.

2. Chris Schoen

Huey Lewis's "Walking On A Thin Line" tops many of Tom Petty's popular songs (imo).

3. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

"I don't believe nothin' that guy sings". Nicely put, Tom. :confused:

Bill Diercks and CousinCheebo like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Huey Lewis and The News were basically a "Bar Band", and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Yeah, because "Free Falling" is so deep.

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If you are asked for your opinion, you have two choices: give your honest opinion, or tell the interviewer what you think they and their audience want to hear.

Petty chose the former. He could possibly have phrased it more tactfully, but at least he gave his opinion for what it was worth, rather than being mealy-mouthed.

7. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Petty’s comments seem gratuitous to me. It’s not like Huey Lewis was trying to make profound statements in his music.

8. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

While I felt that Tom Petty had exactly one great rock track to this name ["I Need To Know" since you asked…] I have to laugh at his all too on target assessment of Huey Lewis + the News! They seemed to me from day one like the kind of bar band your ne'er-do-well uncle might have fronted on the weekends. How in hell did they ever manage to mine platinum? Did teenagers really buy those records?!

Bluesman Mark and Chris Schoen like this.
  9. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I did. All of them!

10. Chris Schoen

Frankly, I'm surprised Tom Petty would even have an opinion about Huey Lewis. Doesn't seem like the kind of music he would listen to,
    or care one way or the other about. Making a negative comment reveals more about Tom Petty than Huey Lewis (imo).

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im not sure if Petty is criticism his singing more what he chose to sing about and the delivery more than anything.

windfall likes this.
  12. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Jealousy is an ugly look....

JoeRockhead and OptimisticGoat like this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Huey Lewis was (is?) an interesting guy. He should write a biography. Yes, he basically was at "the right place, at the right time", as far as
    the music he was serving up. People were tired of Punk/New Wave, and just wanted some old fashioned Rock and Roll. He was doing it...

BPMC, Vic_1957, Fred1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I approach music similarly. Me personally, I’m a sucker for fancy production and memorable melodies. It’s why I find Bob Dylan, for example, uninspiring and boring beyond compare. It’s really about taste, and I feel like TP was mindlessly echoing his tastes, or distaste in the case of Lewis. Listening to Petty speak, I sense a bit of arrogant and elitist tone in his commentary. I had to laugh!

dee, Chris Schoen and Ryan Lux like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Point taken, but Billy Joel attempted to do this on An Innocent Man.

Queezma, Ryan Lux and Jarleboy like this.
  16. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I can't find it at the moment, but I remember an interview with Huey Lewis where he was slagging off on Ray Parker Jr. (over the Ghostbusters theme song), then yesterday I was listening to the recently released Funky Nation - The Detroit Instrumentals by Marvin Gaye and who was playing guitar on there? Ray Parker Jr.

Marvin apparently thought Ray was ok. Like you said, that's rock 'n' roll, I guess. :shrug:

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thing is, Petty believed it. He lived and died by it. He was consumed by rock’n’roll and if that means he was hoodwinked by rockist dogma, thank God for that. It’s what made him (and others like him) the special artists they are. And it’s what gave us (some of us) music to live by, not just to hum along to.

Bluesman Mark and Murat like this.
  18. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

I just looked it up and Huey was working at it for about 10 years before his big breakthrough, so he put in his fair share of work.

(BTW, I own most of Tom Petty's albums and none by Huey Lewis, but I don't necessarily hate HL&TN. For instance, I quite liked the use the "Power of Love" at the beginning of "Back to the Future".)

Vic_1957 and Murat like this.
  19. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Just looked at the track list. I'd gladly stick that in my car and sing along to every song. Go on, Huey!

20. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

The funny thing is, everyone is arguing about the relative importance of Tom Petty vs Huey Lewis as musical artists. (TP>HL). And take it that TP was being somewhat dismissive of HL.

But in the end I feel that both of their contributions are relatively simplistic and limited when compared to the people like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Ellington, Davis, etc, etc,

ARK likes this.
  21. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Bah. Petty's music is just too darn loud.

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes, and don't get me started on that album. :(

23. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The Heart of Rock and Roll
    Bad is Bad
    The Power of Love
    Heart and Soul
    Workin for a Livin
    I Want a New Drug
    Hip to Be Square
    Couple Days Off

Great, fun tunes.

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

That assumes that Huey's music is only good on a superficial level. His fans would disagree.

25. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I wonder if there was any cross influencing.