'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Adele insisted that her record be pressed at RTI.

Edit: of course, Columbia had to use multiple plants to get the quantity they wanted.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    dman23 and mktracy like this.
  2. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Great how opinions can differ... for me moanin is not even top 5 blakey; prob my least favorite I own on vinyl.
    My favs are buhaina’s delight, indestructible and the Witch Doctor. You might recognize a pattern there though

kt66brooklyn and mktracy like this.
  3. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I am simultaneously mildly frustrated by the delay to vinyl I want, while impressed by Adele's attention to detail and quality.

4. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

I could be wrong, but I assumed this had less to do with RTI's reputation for quality and more to do with the fact that they are one of a handful of pressing plants in the United States with the capacity to do the job (to the disadvantage of the Tone Poet series and other artists/labels). I thought Adele/Columbia basically bought up capacity wherever they could find it.

One thing I learned from the recent YouTube chat with Stoughton, RTI, etc. on Chad's channel is that RTI regularly does a lot of non-audiophile records as well and they actually depend on that work to ease the burden of pressing for the super-detail-oriented audiophile stuff. So, I gather that RTI has the capability to do mass-market vinyl AND audiophile and they don't necessarily use the same standards for both.

Edit: but obviously RTI does a great job in everything they do. The above comment was more an observation that they have an impressive range.

5. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Those three were released as a 12 inch single on Honest Jon's.
    Can you remember why the other two were not added to the CD.
    I'm guessing they weren't up to scratch in some way.

6. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

What I think I like most about Free For All is Cedar Walton's playing. Those piano runs on the title track and "Hammerhead" pull me in every time (Shorter penned both). And then there's Curtis Fuller on trombone -- I love the way the Blakey records utilize his playing to add color to the songs. The Fuller/Shorter combo are also on Mosaic and The Jazz Messengers!, two of my favorite and best-sounding Blakey records.

7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Same for QRP. A lot of their bread and butter is pressing vinyl for other labels. I used to see pallets of boxed records ready to ship out when I visited. What was interesting is that Acoustic Sounds couldn’t hold any back for their retails sales. All of it had to go, and AS had to order stock from the distributors just like everyone else. Guess who absorbs costs for all that unnecessary double-shipping. :sigh:

8. Josquin des Prez

Free For All isn’t bad, it’s just that I like the other AB/JM albums I have better. It’s one I could part with when (and if) the time comes. I’m listening to Mosaic now. I’ve always liked that one.

9. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Looks like the Ornette box is getting packed! Still don’t know what this means as far as release date, but it’s farther along in production than I’d expected:
    Login • Instagram

CBackley, Kimiimacman, PATB and 9 others like this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Cool! Any pre-orders outside of the UK?

this_machine likes this.
  11. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

The CD runs about 74 minutes, so maybe there wasn't room for any more.

12. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

So as luck would have it, I stumbled upon Invitation in my local record store this weekend for quite cheap and in excellent condition. You were exactly right, Hill is as adventurous as during his Blue Note years, if not more on this album. While the setting is more standard than, say, Smoke Stack, I find the record a bit harder to get into than Smoke Stack or Black Fire, but intruiging nonetheless, especially considering that Invitation was his first recording session after a break of four years. He surely didn't lose anything in those four years!

Also, as it might be of interest to some here, I found this doctoral dissertation about Hill's improvisational style online. I haven't read through it yet, but it's very interesting, especially the complete transcriptions of various solos.

Starquest, Spazros, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Surprised this hasn't gotten a pre-order listing yet if they're this far along.
    Maybe the pallet is empty boxes, i read somewhere that RTI isn't pressing until everything is in place.
    I can't imagine they have room to store all these if they're not in production.

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

when you zoom in on the pic it looks like they have sleeves in boxes already. I couldnt imagine theyd stick empty sleeves into the box and then take em out, sleeve, and then reinsert. Seems like a lot more work and chance for damage to box and sleeves than necessary

this_machine likes this.
  15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Very glad you liked, and thanks for the link.

I went back and played Invitation after mentioning it on the thread - one of Hill's best post Blue Note albums for sure, IMO.

testingcan likes this.
  16. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

Well it surely encouraged me to check out more of his post Blue Note output myself, so thanks for the recommendation!

17. this_machine

Yes, it looks to me that the boxes are filled and you can see the spines in white on boxes that are alternatingly flipped after the top layer. That may be the first pallet for all we know. I'm sure they wanted this out for the holidays and would've posted pre-orders if that was possible.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

If they are still sitting on pallets at RTI don’t count on “out for the holidays.” By the time, they go out to the distributors, who process and fulfill orders to retailers, who process and fulfill orders to customers, and the three legs of shipping in between, during holiday shipping season…the holidays will be over. I suspect I’ll be able to order in December for a delivery sometime in January.

Dignan2000 and mktracy like this.
  19. this_machine

Yes, would be very surprised to see these before January. For those trying to read the tea leaves further, Joe replied to a comment on ETA with, "stay tuned.....soon."

20. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I haven't really got my head around Ornette yet.
    Do we know what's in the box? I want to do some auditioning on spotify.

21. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

In spinning My Conception right now. I held back on this one to grab some stuff that was going out of print first, and am finally getting A chance to listen. It is really fantastic and on par with almost all of his other albums.

22. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

all of the BN titles he led (5) and the McLean title he plays trumpet on

Briskit and danasgoodstuff like this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

It has 6 LPs
    Love Call
    New York Is Now
    The Empty Foxhole
    Golden Circle Stockholm Vols. 1 and 2

plus the Jackie McLean album New and Old Gospel, with Ornette on trumpet

I just got the new Music Direct printed catalog today, and it has a little blurb about it, showing a list price of $230.

24. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Hey man, Golden Circle vol 1 would be a good one to start with if you're new to Ornette.

uzn007, Dignan2000, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
  25. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Gotta love when forum members answer questions before I have to ask. :)
    Loading up Golden Circle #1...

Dmann201, Spazros, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.