'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. LaBowe

LaBowe Forum Resident

Wish there were such a thing as local sources for moi!! Anyway thanks ...by the by ...love the "De Rosa" brand from the 70's!

DeRosa likes this.
  2. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

That edition doesn't seem to be logged on Discogs... maybe it's one of the undated ones.

I've owned and enjoyed The Shape Of Jazz To Come and Change Of The Century on CD for years - and The Golden Circle albums - without feeling the need to track them down on vinyl, but the Speakers Corner Shape has performed the trick that some of the BNCs have of pulling me in deeper... last thing at night concentrated listening, glass of whisky, etc... so it's time to find a vinyl copy of Change and acquire Tomorrow Is The Question and Something Else!!!! too... and I've been meaning to acquire This Is Our Music for years, too.

I expect many have read this interesting article about Contemporary Records: CONTEMPORARY RECORDS Jazz LP History - SHELLY MANNE AND HIS MEN PLAY CHECKMATE - West Coast Jazz - Lester Koenig - MANNE HOLE - Howard Holzer - BLACKHAWK - Roy DuNann

John Koenig talking about Roy DuNann's boosting of the upper frequencies intending for them to be brought back down when playing back for cutting and the Fantasy engineers not being interested gives pause for thought. I can't say I've noticed a problem on OJC reissues; perhaps they realised, or maybe this was mentioned on the tape notes (you'd think so)?

Edit: I should have posted most of this on the Contemporary Records 70th thread instead, I suppose... sorry.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Most excellent post!!!

Elofan and Dai like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

This is my copy, and yes, it's one of the undated ones:
    Ornette Coleman – Tomorrow Is The Question! (Vinyl)

CBackley and Dai like this.
  5. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

FYI, still $35 here.

Edit: the link might not work but it was to Music Direct.

FWatty and Vibrolux_Reverb like this.
  6. I don’t like the higher prices, but Speakers Corner has put out its fair share of records that are certainly worth that outlay. Forest Flower, Pithecanthropus Erectus, The Clown, Fathead, Mingus at Antibes, Impressions, Jazz (Ry Cooder) just to name a few off the top of my head are just as good as, if not better than, many releases coming from the stateside boutique audiophile labels. I'm sure there are many more that could be added to that list. I am crazy excited for their upcoming release of Mingus's Oh Yeah, one of my favorite albums of his. Assuming it delivers the goods sonically, it is one of my most anticipated albums for 2022. Can't wait.

7. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Those undated 70's pre-Fantasy Contemporary releases are great. Even though the production is stellar, I generally eschew earlier Contemporary pressing. The sessions are often on the subtle side, so any potential noise is a major deterrence for me, and those late 50's records can be beat to hell.

Dai and Josquin des Prez like this.
  8. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I really like those, too. They were super cheap back in the day. In many cases they use the original metal work. I found plenty of nice and quiet original Contemporaries, but that's going back a few years.

ultron9 and Dai like this.
  9. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Long live Speakers Corner. One of the major players in keeping vinyl alive since the early 90's. I just picked up Elvis Presley, Bill Withers and Al Green titles that are excellent.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I agree as I have a pretty decent collection of their titles and love them all. So please don't read me wrong. They should at least up the level of the jackets though for the new price.

Now it's a good thing I said it would have to be a knockout title and Mingus's "Oh Yeah" is certainly that. Preorder has been placed. I'm sure in the matter of a few days or so I will be used to the new price and not give it a second thought.

A pretty big fan of his as well, but you know that. I have a question for you...there is an awesome song from those sessions "Peggy's Blue Skylight" that was left off. Personally I think it's a really good one. I have it on the Complete Atlantic Recordings boxset. What's the story with that one?

11. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

off

Delos island - Greece

/off

12. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I’m also a big SC fan, and I think even with the price bump, their single LP price is still reasonable. But, I’m definitely going to be thinking twice before I drop $80 on a double record. Although, tbh, I said that before I bought their reissue of Mingus at Antibes and that’s about the best $65 I ever spent on an LP.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One of my absolute favorite SC titles and Live Jazz records for that matter. $42 is still pushing it to a degree. They are priced higher than The Acoustic Sound Series and Tone poets, which was my initial shock, but what the hell...still will be selective.

$65 sounds like some type of fire sale now...

Tone Poet selection for today...its raining and gloomy here, so going to chill with "New Bottle, Old Wine".

14. Josquin des Prez

I have a pretty good handful of these, including the two Sonny Rollins albums. They all sound fantastic.

In other news, my haul from Acoustic Sounds for the day. The Keystone album is pressed at QRP. I wasn't aware if that before.
    [​IMG]

15. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Nice haul.

Can you provide any information on the Live at Keystone pressing? Just curious if this is an old mastering or something current. Thanks.

16. Josquin des Prez

dminches and trd like this.
  17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I really wish they would do a re press of the Keystone Companion which features 6LPs and all of the material from those 2 Garcia Saunders shows. I bought my copy for $80 from Amazon a while back when they had it on sale, but it has been out of print for a while now and fetches a good amount of money. It sounds lovely though and the playing is out of this world good. Jerry in his prime.

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! I have that Charles Lloyd and it's a good one. Think I will just be happy with my older copy of Saunders/Garcia. Plus it's backordered anyway.

I will say one thing about listening to Charles Lloyd records. Where I have liked his music for some years now, is it me or has it aged even better over time...

ultron9 likes this.
  19. TheTalkingDrunk

TheTalkingDrunk Forum Resident

This thread is brutal for my wallet. Guess I need to order some of the Mingus stuff on Speakers Corner before the prices go up everywhere.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

May I recommend "At Antibes" and "Pithecantropus Erectus". You would get a 2 LP live set plus a single studio one. That's three records of awesome Mingus for only $117, and free shipping. That's less than a MoFi One Step. All of a sudden I have convinced myself that SC records are a bargain. I just had to look at it in a positive way.

21. Josquin des Prez

The Speakers Corner of The Clown is excellent too. "Haitian Fight Song" is a favorite. Never mind that the clown is too scary for one of our members here.

22. Josquin des Prez

When I stream music on Qobuz I'm always reaching for the Charles Lloyd. Some of the ECM stuff from late-90s/early-2000s is really fantastic, especially the albums that include John Abercrombie and Billy Higgins. Joe Harley had a hand in these too.

charlesp, Troy McClure, trd and 3 others like this.
  23. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

John Abercrombie = Gateway. Great album.

Are the digital masterings of the ECM albums as high quality as the vinyl?

spieg16, Greenmonster2420 and ultron9 like this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

For ECM albums from the analog era nothing beats the German pressings. The WEA distributed US pressings are pretty good too, but the German pressings are the ones to beat.

25. TheTalkingDrunk

TheTalkingDrunk Forum Resident

Yes you may. Just ordered both of those for $100 total from The In Groove. Their prices haven't gone up yet.

Can't seem to find The Clown in stock for under $40 though.