'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

imgur.com

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

Was this ever answered? I skimmed a couple of pages and didn’t see anything. Listening to Destination Out tonight, thumbing through my Penguin Guide and when I got to Jackie’s entry I assumed I was just forgetting about a reissue. I checked discogs, last released in vinyl in the US in 2014. This seems like an absolute no brainer for an audiophile release. Anyone know why it’s not been released? Seems like it must be a tape issue, not like they just forgot about it.

3. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I have the 2014 eu pressing (75th Ann) which sound pretty good, one of the better ones. I do recall Joe being asked this some time back and my understanding was that I may have been slated for a future TP; I’m sure @scotti will have the correct info. It’s one of my favourite JM releases so I hope it gets the treatment.

trd, mktracy and FunkJazz like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I think they may have just went for a more natural sounding song (Peggy's Blue Skylight) while they were recording the sessions for (Oh Yeah). Plus it's fairly long and where would it have fit anyway, and as you said, it certainly doesn't jive with the overall vibe of the record. I actually listened to the portion of the box set yesterday that includes this future SC release and that said song. The sound quality from this box set is really pretty good. Hey, its always nice discussing the music of Mingus.

But as I come back to the land of Tone Poets, may I just mention that we are now only 6 days away until we take a deep dive into the Avant-garde from the genius that gets the first box set released by Joe and his gang of Tone Poets.

And as I relax over my morning cup of coffee, my wife is in the other room watching some movie call "Anything Else" and all of a sudden she says you have to come check this out, they are in an old record store and just look at that Gil Evans record displayed on the wall. It was "Out Of The Cool" and I said we have that one and you just gave me an idea how to start off the day with Jazz. Also in the mood for some Pepper Adams so I have "Poppin'" lined up for an afternoon spin as well.

Happy Saturday indeed!

(Let Freedom Ring) I can't remember what I was told about that title. It's certainly coming from one of the series. For now, we have to be fairly quiet discussing any records that have not already been announced/discussed. Because of the way release schedules keep changing we need to keep a tighter lip these days. One thing is for sure, the Tone Poet Series has no end in sight.

I'm just happy as can be that we are starting to get more Avant-garde titles, whatever series they come from.

5. Kimiimacman

They say it’s a small world; no kidding.

So, having my morning shower with Hank Mobley playing, I strain my water filled eyes to check if the shampoo my daughter bought me, Palmers, is yet another Procter & Gamble product. Nope, made by ET Browne,What’s that? Englewood Cliffs? Spooky:sigh:

[​IMG]

crispi, muletrane, Spazros and 11 others like this.
  6. Kimiimacman

Well I hope it’s a TP if not just for those cover graphics!

7. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Darn, you guys got me. I just ordered SC pressings of Forest Flower and Antibes before the price goes up! Im excited for these.

8. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Speaking of Mobley and releases that would make awesome TPs, did we ever discuss the wonderful Thinking of Home?

- LT series, recorded in 1970, released 1980 (i think, or something like it). I don't have it, but from what I understand the mastering on some of these releases weren't that great originally
    - Only reissue alternatives are Scorpio, and Japanese (not many of those around)
    - I just listened to it again today, and man is that a sweet session.. it has a bit of the funky 70s style in it, and also a kind of epic feel, but deeply rooted in traditional jazz. One of Mobley's best IMO, and I think he might have said so himself too. Sounds well recorded too based on the Amazon Music stream

What do you say, @scotti et al? :)

9. Petter Premberg

Those may well be the top 2 SCs in my collection. Very well chosen!

Kimiimacman and scotti like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

May I quote a line from "The Last Crusade"..."You Have Chosen Wisely".

No wonder why I love hanging here, there are so many intelligent fans of great sounding Jazz records that share their enthusiasm and passion day after day.

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

that, Third Season and A Slice of the Top are begging for reissues. Hi Voltage too. Mobley had extremely good output on Blue Note that has been neglected for far too long.

12. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

That's an incredible tune for sure. It was released on 1964's "Tonight At Noon," a compilation album with 3 cuts from the Oh Yeah session and 2 cuts from the Clown session.

Everything Mingus recorded with Roland Kirk is a jewel imo.

13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

All the sold out Tone Poets and BNCs say shipping on January 25th, according to that Chet Baker Sings will ship on January 25th!

The one exception is GG's Nigeria - it just says sold out.

14. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

where you seeing that?

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

BN website.

You have to click on to the title link to view on the titles page the status of when it ships, Nigeria doesn't have any info other than sold out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

i see that, interesting. looks like Now He Sings and Roots/Herbs will be available too. wonder if amazon will get these.

17. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

haha, I made the exact same order! I have a NM Antibes original so I had put off getting the SC version for a long time - had it in my cart a few times when AS had 10% sales, but never pulled the trigger - the original is actually quite good, now I get to compare! In fact, this was the only SC Mingus title I didn't have - still trying to track down a reasonable priced Pure Pleasure East Coasting (which I believe is AAA, yes? I think it was before PP starting doing more digital sources, right?)...

Petter Premberg and YouCantWin like this.
  18. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

also, what's the deal with AP's Blues & Roots 45? they announced that awhile ago, and still nada?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

woah... best news of the week re: reissued TPs!!!! That said, doesn't seem like a way to add any of them to a cart...

20. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

The In Groove still has East Coasting for $35.

j4yheindeo and beginthebegin like this.
  21. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

But, you’re not able to actually order them yet, right? There seems to be some difference between the TPs and the BNCs that they announced have been repressed, because you can order the BNCs.

Bodhi and ubiknik like this.
  22. Petter Premberg

Yeah that PP East Coasting is all analogue, great album. I think I've read that there might have been some issues with the tapes though, there's a thread on here about Mingus reissues, search for "Mingus on vinyl" or something. I've held off so far, but have also seen good reviews, so let us know how it is if you get it @beginthebegin ;)

beginthebegin and YouCantWin like this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah that seems to be status right now, Lonnie Smith's Think lp also does not have an add to cart option, it just says sold out like the TPs.
    I got wind of this because someone in the BNC thread saw an instagram post and posted a list.

YouCantWin likes this.
  24. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I'll be getting: It's Time, Chet Baker Sings, Oblique, Cornbread, Minor Move for sure. Still debating on The Kicker, Mr. Shing-a-Ling, and Black Fire all of which I have passed on before (actually passed on It's Time and Oblique at the time as well, but that was more because I didn't think they'd go OOS)

Bodhi likes this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had one that I just sold on elemental music Europe. I think it was digital cut.

trd, mktracy and Kimiimacman like this.