'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

A little pricey? Duh. Pass.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Its 239.98 and tone poets are 38.98, put 6 into a box set and the price is (essentially) exactly the same.

6x38.98 = 233.88

add in a booklet with actual essay and a nice box to store them for only an additional $6.

no upcharge or anything

3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

But we have seen other similar box sets, like ones from the Grateful Dead sell much cheaper than the Coleman box. I find it a tad pricey too.

mackeyse, LaBowe and jazzsurfer like this.
  4. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

This, definitely agree. And especially when these titles will not become available individually, you can always choose to keep the ones you like, and sell the ones you don’t on the second hand market. Those will be very desirable to quite a number of people, I assume. Not for me though, I want them all.

Swordsandchains, scotti and Elofan like this.
  5. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Scotti,

what can I say, I was listening to the Stockholm records yesterday (and will continue today) and I think am getting into them. Actually my comments from before looking a bit silly now, as this is really quality stuff. Great bass work as well. Sometimes it takes a while some music - I know that and don't give up easily (if I sense something). The longer it takes, the bigger the reward. Some favourite pieces of mine took quite a while for me to decode emotionally.

I placed my order.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I can't believe he unboxed this like that. Why would he not have that laid out on a proper table to make sure nothing happens. Quick reflexes indeed. I had to stop watching after he almost dropped the first record he was showing.

I also wanted to correct myself regarding who owns Impex Records. Its Abbey Fonn, who partnered with Elusive Disc as their main distributor.

Well said! Of course music like this won't be for everyone's taste, but it can have a way of sneaking up and rewarding you if you give it a chance. I think Mr. Marley describes it quite nicely..."One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain, So hit me with music, hit me with it now, yeah!

So $221.99 for the OC box from Amazon US. This may seem pricey to some, but I wonder how that price will look next year this time.

Drew Brooks, Dignan2000, Dai and 10 others like this.
  7. bonedigger

bonedigger Forum Resident

Sorry if this is another question that’s already been asked and I couldn’t find the answer to but am I correct that there’s been no announcement one or way the other about if any of these new pressings will be available individually?

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

They will not, at least for now and not in the foreseeable future.

bonedigger likes this.
  9. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

apples and oranges

Kimiimacman, hutlock and uzn007 like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And if you look at see how many different Grateful Dead boxes have been released (as example) over the years, heck, you could fill up a small record store with the RSD releases alone. Don't get me wrong, I dig the heck out of the Dead and have several of those box sets myself. But you can't price the Dead boxes too high because of that. Plus, not all of those are AAA unless I'm mistaken.

I guess I'm a bit confused here, because as noted above, 6 new Tone Poets would run around $234 now. So we get (US) $219.99 (6 records) plus booklet and slip case box to hold them in and all AAA.

I think it really comes down to how much you enjoy Ornette Coleman. If an average fan of say some of the titles in the box, I could certainly see how one would feel it's priced to high. So I do respect that.

NorthNY Mark, mktracy, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  11. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Glad I ordered them yesterday (Sonny Red and Grant Green) at $42! Back up to $55.55. Now if we can get the pre-orders for Joe Pass and Stanley Turrentine to come down for a few minutes, I could order them too.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hooray! My OC box has now officially shipped. I'm sort of looking forward to it I guess...

13. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You guys are a bad influence.

:D:p

Elofan, Dai, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  14. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Exactly. Some of these titles are not so great IMO so the price gives me pause. For those who love all these lps Price is not a consideration I suppose.

ryu and scotti like this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks for the heads up on Katanga! When it was first announced it didn’t grab me. Maybe the fact I didn’t recognize any of the players, or that i tried to cram listening to all the announced titles at once and it got lost in the crush, or seeing soprano sax on the list of instruments (not a fan usually). But this is a really cool mix of players. The guitarist and pianist are really good, and I love Rollins’ version of You Dont Know What Love Is, so this is looking quickly like a must have!

16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've caught my daughter singing along to Henry Cow before (making up her own lyrics). Some kids are more in tune with avant-garde music than a lot of adults.

Biff Jones, Gabe Walters, Dai and 5 others like this.
  17. uzn007

Ask your local record store to pre-order it for you.

pdenny likes this.
  18. uzn007

The Grateful Dead are putting out at least one box set per year. Not really a comparable situation IMO.

trd likes this.
  19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

With Amazon.ca If you pre-order and the price goes down you get the lower price, I pre-ordered Grant Green Latin Bit at $55 but my order price is currently $41.99, Stanley Turrentine I pre-ordered at $55 and my order price is currently $49.98.

mktracy, allbrosca and DeRosa like this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Hmm

all gatefolds except for Golden Circle vol. 1 and 2 .

The Golden Circle titles and New & Old Gospel are the only titles I really want. Do you guys think it would be easy to quickly sell the other 3 titles at $40 a pop?
    I have many of the Dead box sets and none of them are close to this well done. We are talking about 6 stoughton tip ons (4 of which are gatefold) in addition to being pressed at RTI. I would say that the price is fair(ish). Meaning that it is fair enough, but would like to have seen it at older tone poet prices before the increase which would have put the box closer to $200.

ETSEQ and trd like this.
  21. No comparison to the quality and mastering to Dead Boxes. I love all the Live Dead Boxes but they don’t compare. Expect for the VMP box which was something like $450

hutlock and uzn007 like this.
  22. uzn007

Well, he was gonna, but the camera was all set up already, and he didn't want to break it all down and move it, and his table is a mess... :D

It reminds me of a recent Acoustic Sounds video where Chad was stacking up these thick gatefolds on the desk in front of him and the whole pile started to slide. He just kept pulling out these records, showing them and putting them on the stack and I'm like "Didn't think this through, did you?" I just find it comforting that even the pros are sometimes flummoxed when handling their vinyl.

23. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I know. But if the price never goes down, I'm at $55. I guess I can always cancel if it does not!

24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Or just process a return and send it right back if they do wind up shipping it to you...

allbrosca likes this.
  25. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

I bet Love Call and New York is Now would be quite sellable. Those titles are unique in that Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison play on them (Dewey Redman is awesome too, but he’s on other Ornette recordings). Not sure about Empty Foxhole, nothing really special about that one except there is a 10-year old playing drums (and he sounds like a 10-year old, albeit one with some talent and confidence for his age).

scotti, Instant Dharma and mr.dave like this.