'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just put me in the mood for some Shorter. Going with my OG of Speak No Evil, which is fortunately in really good shape. Ran across it a few years ago at my local store for $15, believe me I kept my mouth shut when I bought it. Not sure what the owner was thinking...

AnalogJ, timzigs, mktracy and 6 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Just to note to add to similarities Joe also played (albeit briefly) with Miles.

3. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Nice. I had a similar score recently. Clean as can be Nm copy of Frank Zappa - You Cant Do that On Stage Anymore Vol.2 ( the Helsenki concert) for the same price of $15. Love it when you can get unbelievable deals

Mr. Heartbreak and scotti like this.
  4. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Not saying, "I doubt it."

Heck, in trying to run this down, I discovered Joe Henderson even had a flirtation in the Blood, Sweat & Tears band. But could you explain when Henderson played with Miles Davis, please?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    scotti likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! I have many OG Zappa's but the two titles I have been waiting to come out are finally coming our way on 12/16, The Grand Wazoo and a particular favorite "Waka/Jawaka both of which I only have on CD. Dig the heck out of those 'Hot/Rats" fawcet handles. Just little things like that putting a smile on my face. Now all of a sudden I'm in the mood for some FZ. Going with "Bongo Fury" and "Sleep Dirt" , featuring "The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution", such a cool song.

And must not forget what thread I'm on, I did pull out one Tone Poet earlier, and that's 'Moment Of Truth".

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

He played live with him on a few occasions in 1967. He never recorded. J.J. Johnson was another who played with the band live in the 'sixties, but did not record with Miles then.

Joe himself references his time with Miles here:
    Joe Henderson: Sudden Sensation After 30 Years

In the late ‘60s, Henderson joined Miles Davis’ band for a brief stint. “The band was going through a transitional period at the time. Miles, (soprano saxophonist) Wayne Shorter and I were the only ones who showed up every night. The rhythm section was always changing.”

Mention is also made of his participation with Blood, Sweat and Tears immediately below this quote.

SideShowRobb, Dignan2000, Dai and 4 others like this.
  7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Since many of the gigs with other bassists subbing for Ron Carter have shown up, maybe the gigs with Joe Hen and/or JJ will show up one day too.

8. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Even Archie Shepp got to sit in with Miles, once.

mktracy and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  9. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Is this an SAT question? Jokes aside these are good analogies.

bruinuclafan likes this.
  10. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So the problems are all to do with pressings? If so, taking away the gatefold of the Tone Poets, they should sound as good as the Tone Poets were it not for the pressing issues?

11. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Holy grail tape... Although still want this one the most
    [​IMG]

12. MisterBritt

In a nutshell, yes.

The "mission statement" of the Tone Poet series indicates, "The titles were handpicked by [Joe] Harley and cover lesser-known Blue Note classics, modern era standouts, and albums from other labels under the Blue Note catalog." Furthermore, as you note, the Tone Poets come in gatefold sleeves and are pressed at RTI rather than Optimal.

Tone Poet curator Harley explicitly states, " We do not roll off the low end, boost the top or do any limiting of any kind." No such declaration is made regarding the Blue Note Classic series, but since both are mastered by Kevin Gray at his Cohearent Mastering facility, they should sound similar.

Note the cascade of posts regarding Blue Note Classic pressing problems at Optimal. It is significant.

On the other hand, I have experienced tracking problems due to the excessively "hot" nature of the pressings with several Tone Poets: Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor, Charles Lloyd and the Marvel's Tone Poem, and Andrew Hill's Passing Ships come to mind. Those albums were returned, not exchanged. (McCoy Tyner's Expansions was also discarded, but I don't recall why.)

On each of these albums, not only did the needle skip out of the groove, but I could visually see the meters jumping into the red as a clipping alert flashed on my phono preamp. Not good. Maybe some measured compression is in order? I don't recall any such issues on Blue Note Classics. Pick your poison.

Shpongle, Morbius, PATB and 1 other person like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is pretty cool, just heard from Joe and the new BNC list is coming out tomorrow, with the Tone Poet list still on track for 12/15...

CBackley, mktracy, Swann36 and 5 others like this.
  14. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I want that for the cover alone! Damn hang that on a wall. It needs the TP treatment!

15. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I and some others here would argue that there is more to it than where the records are pressed eg vinyl formula and more so wether the stampers are dehorned. I for one find that TPs have a distinct and consistent character as do Optimal and differ from each other. The TPs understandably sound most similar to MMJ 33 too.

I do agree that a few TPs have been cut a bit hot and I haven’t noticed many from Optimal but then again I have far fewer of the latter as they duplicate my MMJs but this I have shown before here can be ameliorated by cartridge choice. My £6k Dynavector doesn’t like Passing Ships at all in at least 3 spots but my £1k Dynavector tolerates it better and my 40 year old Fidelity Research FR1 ($230 in 1980) with its 15x10 compliance rating finds it a walk in the park. Looking at the specs of your Opus cart of 8x10 will not be helping here perhaps. I know it’s a pain that some records are troublesome especially when one forks out for high end gear.

16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Anselmo, Aura, Aeryn Sun and 14 others like this.
  17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

March 9–12, 1967: "The Davis Quintet, with Joe Henderson added as a second tenor saxophone, was booked for a short engagement at the Village Vanguard (March 9-12); they then -- minus Henderson -- embarked on another tour of the western U.S. with Ron Carter remaining in New York, this time replaced by Stinson (here) or Buster Williams (the remainder of the tour)."
    Session details: Harmon Gymnasium, University of California (April 7, 1967)

18. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Yeah, if this ever gets released they definitely need to use this (fan-made) cover.

Joe Harley: please give the people what they want! We want the Trainwreck!

19. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh hell yes I want that.

Josquin des Prez and CBackley like this.
  20. MisterBritt

That cover is so freakin' great!

I initially thought this is much better than the cover they did for Lee Morgan's The Rajah. I remember remarking the Morgan album's fonts were okay but the wrong size (something about Pythagorian proportions), etc. I was twisted up over that jacket. Close but no cigar. And here comes your Trainwreck. It's perfect.

I've gone through several episodes of cognitive dissonance over your Trainwreck. I cannot get my head around this, but "Seeing is believing." In my final fit of schizophrenia, I went to the Blue Note Discography, and lo and behold -- there it is!

[​IMG]

This whole thing is blowing my mind. They made that record, but to my knowledge, it was never titled or released.

21. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

And now I just realized Herbie Lewis played in this, and also the recent Stick Up…. And god his playing style, specifically his intonation, drove me crazy.
    Either straight up out of tune or rakishly avant garde but yeesh it was annoying to me.

So I guess I’ll just keep the TP sleeve and toss the record. :shh:

MisterBritt likes this.
  23. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

mackeyse and Crush87 like this.
  24. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

Yikes, will pass then. Thanks

25. Pearson

Pearson Forum Resident

There is vinyl production and export from Russia? At this point in time?

mackeyse likes this.