'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I had both of these on CD only. I started off with the Blue Mitchell which took me a few minutes before it started sucking me in. The piano is no doubt a highlight for me and I'll take anything with Higgins on it. That man can work those brushes like magic. Not taking anything away from Mitchell or Cook though...

I honestly thought POH was going to be just an average Tone Poet. But almost as soon as the needle hit the grooves, I was like WTF do we have here! I realize I'm known for getting a bit carried away at times, but I'm telling you, this record sounds absolutely incredible! The soundstage and lower end deliver such a bite that you just sit or stand back in sheer amazement. I'm not trying to sound like a broken record here, just sharing how impressed I am over how it turned out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I hear you brother! So far the pacific jazz titles have been more of my favorites tbh in the Tone Poet series so that was easily a no-brainer. I've spent a crap load on vinyl this month and I definitely could chill a bit but it appears that will have to be a question I answer later, haha

mktracy, Dartman and scotti like this.
  3. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Joe Pass - For Django

A fairly under appreciated tone poet imo. Maybe it is because I am a guitarist, but I consider it to be an essential title in the series

4. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Drove downtown and picked up Blue Mitchell / Bring It Home To Me from Rotate This! in Toronto, who keep things real on the pricing @ $36.99

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Theres always a deal happening somewhere.

recstar24 likes this.
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Streaming Donald Byrd - Half Note. pretty good, fiery, and sounds really good, especially the drums!

day1953 likes this.
  7. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

All three Pacific are among my most-played TPs. It would be cool if there could be a TP spinoff that focused on Pacific - there is enough good stuff on that label to justify its own series.

8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Kind of hoping Picture of Heath comes down in price in a month or so. Music didn’t suck me in on streaming but I’d be willing to grab it for cheaper

For Django is still in stock and slightly discounted. I feel deservedly or not the Pacific stuff tends to stick around longer so maybe not as necessary to jump on them right away

9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Amazon.ca brought Picture Of Heath down to the "normal" price way before release day, which is a good indication that it's not selling and will be 30-40% cheaper in the coming months.

mktracy and allbrosca like this.
  10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

If you don’t mind giving Bezos money, ALL Tone Poets drop to $20 - 32 range at some given point within a month or two after release. Maybe with the exception of small run represses and double Lps

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Tyrone Washington - Natural Essence

Man, I hope they leave this one off the list. That is just not that good of a record.

charlesp likes this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Will probably kick off the 2024 BNC list

13. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

Classic, yes, I'm recovering from a stroke so forgive me.

Also, will check out the Rastaman alternative suggestions. Thank you all for these. Does this all mean skip the recent Abbey Road Mastered version ?

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No forgiveness needed. Wishing you all the best and a healthy recovery. Nothing like some good sounding music to help you on the way.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just got Picture of Heath, and on side 2 I was having some issues. Mostly a "skipping"/"crackling" noise in the right channel on some louder transients. My cartridge generally tracks everything really well, but these sounds were very disconcerting. The LP didn't actually skip, and it definitely did not sound like non-fill - it could be mis-tracking, but as I said I have never had this issue before with any LP.

Anyone else finding issues with Picture of Heath on side 2? I don't know if I got a pressing defect or it is cut hotter than most and I am having some mis-tracking. The noise I hear is only on the right channel.

It happens once during the first track on side 2, and a bunch of times on the 3rd track on side 2. Otherwise the LP is fine and sounds great.

16. MikeT

Blue Mitchell - real nice - Love it.

Crush87 likes this.
  17. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Agreed....

18. flx

flx Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately my copy has the same problems; Side 2 does not play properly. I think I'll wait for a few more reports before ordering another copy.

19. MikeT

Thanks. Like you I will wait for more reports as well. It is quite possible it is a pressing defect.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just checked out track 3/side 2 since I saw there were some issues. My copy plays perfect. Mono done right...hope you figure it out or return and get a better copy. Good luck, as maybe it sounds like some copies might have issues.

21. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

No issues on track 2 of side 2 but my god track 3 is a nightmare. Skips without skipping 4 times.

This is a 2 week old stylus as well so shouldn't be mistracking.

I was really enjoying it up until then but this is either cut ridiculously hot or it is a pressing defect. Either way not acceptable so have ordered a replacement.

Be a first that a record is cut so hot it has done this on any TT I have owned. As someone said above it sounds like skipping but the stylus isn't skipping, all very odd.

On looking at the record under a very strong light there is markings in line with the grooves on that track roughly where at least 2 of the skips occur.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Got the Blue Mitchell album today and enjoying it with a Mudslide cocktail my wife made on my upgraded system. It sounds fantastic.

23. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I'm choosing to interpret this as you having a hifi system that makes cocktails! We all want one of those!

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What can I say? Living the dream :cool:

Patanoia and this_machine like this.
  25. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Anyone know if there's been discussion somewhere on doing a monthly Prestige reissue series like we're seeing with BNC and TP? Would it be Chad's outfit that would be responsible? There's so much on that family of labels that could do with quality reissues on a schedule.

ausgraeme, rxcory and Patanoia like this.