'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Haha...now if they were covering The Stones, I'd be all over it!

2. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Hope not. The TP is the only issue I've heard and I don't want to hear it any other way now :tsk:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Petter Premberg likes this.
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

134 is the number to beat, correct?

My memory says there are 134 unique MMJ titles. I’m confident I’ll be corrected if that is wrong :)

4. Walter Ruben

Walter Ruben Routine Expedition Member

:cool::cool:
    All things being equal I would just take the sequential order of announcement as the deciding factor as to which title would be 100.

Maybe they weren’t thinking about before you asked, and maybe now they’re saying to themselves, “Scotti brings up an interesting point.” :cool:

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That seems a lot, offhand, but you may be right. They did 112 45 RPM titles. Did they really do 22 titles that weren't in the 45RPM series. I know they did some new unique ones and a hanful from the AP series, but I never bothered to count. I don't have all the 33s.

6. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Wow. Half Note sounds amazing. Awesome session! Picked this up along with 'Night Train' at my local spot today.

day1953, timzigs, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  7. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Great to hear! Just ordered today. Glad I listened beforehand and trusted my ears instead of the Penguin guide, they really don’t like Byrd it seems o_O

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I’ve been alternating these titles today on my turntable. Two fabulous LPs.

9. MarMan

MarMan Forum Resident

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] First post here! Followed since page 600.
    The Donald Byrd arrived today. Sounds fresh and unusual than other Rvg. Peppers on fire. So mellowed B-side. I like the „Stereo“ Sticker. Look forward to Andrew Hill!

Greetings from Germany.

scotti, GabrielJazz, mktracy and 6 others like this.
  10. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Have you guys checked out Pepper Adams - “The Cool Sound of Pepper Adams” on Regent from 1958? I got a copy of this recently and it’s an incredible dark and moody album in my opinion, with some incredible piano work by Hank Jones and a relatively early recording of Elvin Jones.

EDIT: I also think the cover art is pretty awesome.

11. Josquin des Prez

Someone is selling a copy on Amazon for only $250.

It’s on Qobuz so I added it to my library to stream later. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

AS only charges shipping on the first album, so if you order all seven you only pay shipping once, oh and of course the $1,050 for the disks The’in’Groove ships for free and no sales tax in PA.

scotti likes this.
  13. Jeffrey Weiss

I count the Ornette box as six and to make things worse I have all the MMJ 33s which I consider part of the same series, just like the BN80s go hand-in-hand with the BNCs. Oh, and Patterns from BNR2 is also a TP

14. Jeffrey Weiss

Pretty sure there are 55 33s and I thought about half were unique, maybe not. 22 doesn’t sound like a lot to me but I am curious enough to check it out tomorrow.

15. Josquin des Prez

How many of those 65 33RPM titles are SRX, because none of those were unique to the series? I vaguely remember that pre-SRX, there were about 44 or so 33 RPM titles, and a lot of those were repeats of the MMJ45s. I have all the MMJ45 (112 titles) and about 34 or so of the MMJ33s.

I could probably figure out the exact count of unique MMJ titles if I felt like looking through my collection to determine that, but now I have them all mixed in with all my other BNs, except for the Tone Poets that I still keep in a separate record bin.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hung out at the Half Note Cafe with Donald and his new band for a third spin last night and just WOW!!!!! This is with out a doubt a must have Tone Poet (or any jazz record) and for those that decide to pass on this, I'm truly sorry for your loss (kidding of course). This is absoluetly one of my all time favorites from this series. I do not have one that I would call the best, but this is easily right up there. If you lock yourself in, you are at the club! And Pepper, you are just so badass, can you be any cooler!

As more folks get this and listen to this incredible live set, let's just see what others have to say...

17. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Yeah I definitely meant this primarily as a streaming suggestion. The version I got was a 1969 pressing and that cost a bit, though under $100. There is an inexpensive 1984 reissue available under the name Pure Pepper with terrible cover art, though I don't know much about these 80s "Savoy Jazz" reissues.

18. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

This prompts me to ask a side question: which live acoustic jazz records would you call absolute top for the quality of the recording? I don't mean projects like Scolohofo "Oh!", which are live in the studio with no overdubbing (I'd assume most of classic era BNs are like that). I mean live recording in a real environment with audience present. Recently I wanted to check my OJC version of Dolphy in Five Spot vol. 1 to see if I wanted to replace it with the AS version. I was blown away by how present Dolphy and Booker Little sounded and decided I'm very happy with it. It's an RVG recording that shares the best features of his studio work. Another one I'd mention is Ron Carter's and Jim Hall's "Live at Village West", where even the sound of plates and the cash register adds to the feeling you're there, sitting at a table, only slightly removed from the stage.

Dignan2000, mktracy and scotti like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Great question and post! Would have to put some thought into that as there are so many variables and types of live settings/recordings. Of course there will never be an argument from me when it comes to talking about how good an Eric Dolphy record is and "At The Five Spot Vol. 1 is clearly incredible. I would recommend that you grab the AS $40 version as well.

I did add my thoughts on the Byrd on the what's your favorite live jazz recording thread...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  20. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Unfortunately in Europe it's currently at around 60 euro plus shipping. And I'm a bit hesitant recently after AS "Karma" proved to sound noticeably less interesting to my ears than my 1969 US copy. BTW, I hope at some point Chad does Dolphy/Ron Carter's "Where?".

Didn't know there was a live jazz recording thread. Found it, thanks.

Elofan and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Now I understand your hesitation on getting the AS version. I thought Karma turned out good, but I had no other versiopn except a CD to compare it to. Ron Carter's "Where" would be very welcome, another one I only have on CD. Been a while since I listened to it. Jazz Workshop records are not for me...

22. Bebopper

Bebopper Forum Resident

A handful of recordings immediately come to mind.

The Great Jazz Trio - 'At the Village Vanguard' (East Wind, 1977).
    Hank Jones (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Tony Williams (drums.

Bill Charlap Trio - 'Live at The Village Vanguard' (Blue Note, 2007)
    With Peter Washington (bass) and Kenny Washington (drums).
    CD and digital.

Jakob Bro - 'Bay of Rainbows' (ECM, 2018)
    With Thomas Morgan (bass) and Joey Baron (drums). Recorded live at The Jazz Standard, NYC, in 2017.
    Vinyl, CD and digital.

Ben Paterson - ' Live at Van Gelder's ' (Cellar Live, 2018)

Ben Paterson leads an organ trio date, with Ed Cherry (guitar) and Jason Tiemann (drums), recorded live at the famous Rudy Van Gelder studio in Englewood Cliffs, in front of a live audience. CD and digital.
    Link: BEN PATERSON - Live At Van Gelder's

Here's a video about the session:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    R.T.Firefly, mktracy and scotti like this.
  23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Bill Evans Live At The Village Vanguard is pretty much top of my list.

24. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Half Note and Night Train in da house both arrived 2 days early , spinning Half Note now so far 1 track in all is good :D

Oh nearly forgot the “Stereo” on the cover is a sticker not sure I’ve seen anyone else mention it … apologies if I missed it

scotti likes this.
  25. Some of the SRX are unique titles. Blues Walk and Introducing Johnny Griffin. There may be more that I am not remembering

Josquin des Prez likes this.