'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

ETSEQ likes this.
  2. Bebopper

Bebopper Forum Resident

He did write 'The Rumproller' for Lee Morgan, so could when he wanted!

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Woah, the upcoming Tone Poets are listed at $92.99 on amazon.ca!

(Assuming a mistake that will be rectified at some point)

4. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Indeed! Though I think his first recordings came in the 1950's. Still amazing...

This is turning into a checklist of who's still here. I had no idea about Donaldson. So there's enough 90 year old greats to form a legendary band. Quincy could be on piano (he just turned 90). I guess Ron Carter would be on bass, and the others would call him "the kid" (he's 85).

[Edit: Richard Davis is 93 in three weeks!]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  5. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I saw Marshall Allen in 2019 in Bristol, with the Arkestra... a fantastic gig.

6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

With Hutcherson's Spiral & Medina rumored as TPs at some point I've been spending more time with them

I've really come around on Spiral. I love this one and I hope it's first up. Medina not as much but I'm sure I'll come around

7. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Just picked up a copy of Blue Train (Stereo Edn) - along with Herbie's Empyrean Isles - my first (new) record purchases since last August. I've given it a vacuum clean and haven't even got to the end of Side A yet and I've lost count of the amount of loud pops I've heard (plus a little burst of stitching distortion). And this is a £50 record pressed at RTI, supposedly one of the premier plants. If this is a premier plant, I'd hate to hear what records from the bottom-tier plants sound like. Such a shame that such tremendous music and mastering is totally let down by pressing plants' inability to give a consistently good product.

I will be requesting a replacement and hopefully that's good. If it's not, I genuinely think I'm done with TP and Classics. In fact I think I may be done with new records and just stick to used ones.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  8. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with Blue Train Tone Poet. It's a fantastic release, so worth getting a good copy of it. I think the issue with all pressing plants is that they are under a lot of pressure to fulfil orders, what with the vinyl revival. So some QC issues tend to get through the net quite often. Hopefully in the not too distant future more pressing plants will get built and QC will improve. I find my luck is the same from used copies to new ones. A lot of misgrading records on used records and quite often the sellers are awkward and reluctant to accept returns. The good thing about new records is they are very easy to return.

SideShowRobb likes this.
  9. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Yeah I understand the fact that the plants are under pressure but they should still do them right. The fact that they're really busy is great for them and their bottom line but it's no good for the record buyer that has to keep dealing with substandard product on a regular basis. Records are easy to return if they're bought from Amazon but much more of a hassle from other places.

As for Blue Train: Side B is nearly as bad as Side A. I'm going to clean and listen to the second record soon. If that's good, then I'll request a replacement since then I only need the first record to be good. If the second disc is just as bad, I'll not bother, I'll just get a refund and forget about it. I've really had enough of pissing about sub-par records.

G E and Swann36 like this.
  10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I’m glad I was able to find an early copy recently, then. I never understood why this didn’t get an international release on vinyl until now.

11. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

So I found a copy of Tina Brooks's 'The Waiting Game' out in the wild this weekend. I'd originally passed up on this one as it hadn't grabbed me when I listened online, but what a pleasure to spin the TP - it brings the whole thing to life. Tina is such a wonderful tenor player and it's nice to hear some Johnny Coles before his upcoming BNC release. Now I need to hope for a repress of Minor Move, which I also missed first time around. And of course hope that True Blue makes the cut for a future BNC.

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's interesting that so much of Tina's recordings were not released during his life.
    There are various speculations for this situation, but it's just hard to understand why
    Blue Note kept recording him, and then not releasing the sessions.

We largely have Michael Cuscuna to thank for them seeing the light of day,
    I'm glad that Joe has been including Tina in the series, and more people getting to hear his playing.
    Tina Brooks Musician - All About Jazz
    Some speculation in this piece that goes a bit far, but interesting regardless:
    Who Killed Tina Brooks?

MarMan, Spazros, nutsfortubes and 9 others like this.
  13. Peskier

Peskier Well-Known Member

Funny, I just took a first audition of Minor Moove. It took more than a month to arrive but I got a first Japanese release from Thailand, at a decent price.
    I truly dig the "relaxed" sound of Tina's play and the connection with Lee Morgan.
    While it sounded really nice, soundwise it seems a little bit behind TPs (others, as I did not have a chance to do a director comparison) -particularly bass and drums seemed to lack a bit of detail and clarity. Maybe it will improve on the second round of play...

Tricky By Name and mktracy like this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I put this on this morning and it really struck me how fortunate we are to get these reissues. Some, like this record are truly astonishing records but simply less well known. 20 years ago i was certain it would never be reissued on vinyl , let alone in a package like this.
    [​IMG]
    I remember the dark days of vinyl in the 90s and early 2000’s very well.
    So nice to be well past that.

15. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Dance With Death will probably be my TP of the year. I'm not much for rankings but to use the parlance of this thread, a "gem" title for me

16. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. TheTalkingDrunk

TheTalkingDrunk Forum Resident

I was having a problem with this but only on certain titles. If I put either of the new BNC titles (Fuchsia Swing Song or Empyrean Isles) I would not qualify for free shipping. Seemed to work with other titles, though. Weird.

19. Swordsandchains

none of the titles i had were preorders, or classic, or TPs so its weird. Someone of facebook also commented on their post regarding it. We will see if it gets fixed.

Edit: and now i just added the 5 latest TPs including preorders and those get free shipping. So it looks like stuff thats in the 40% spring clearance section doesnt qualify for free shipping, thats how they get you.

20. TheTalkingDrunk

Weird because I was looking at 2 titles that were 40% off, and one was in the advertised sale section (Charles Lloyd Trios Box and Tone Poem TP) and those titles gave me free shipping.

Now Empyrean works too....gonna be an expensive order.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Swordsandchains likes this.
  21. TheTalkingDrunk

Also there is a 10% code for new email subscribers that stacks with the 20% off of Tone Poets, bringing them to $28.07 each for single LPs.

Doesnt seem to stack on the 40% off titles however.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  22. Swordsandchains

looking now and looks like they fixed issue as i get the free shipping

TheTalkingDrunk likes this.
  23. Swordsandchains

time to make a new email…

TheTalkingDrunk likes this.
  24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

is it worth ordering from BN for that savings? i've heard nightmares about delayed shipping, etc.

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I personally don't think so

Look on Discogs and the BNC thread for just how many defects are across that series. I happily pay full price on Amazon to be able to swiftly sort an exchange