'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Diverse stocked them, also Stamford Audio (I think) sold me around 20 or so for £25 each they said they didn’t have much interest as they were 45rpm. That was back in 2009/2010.

Dubmart likes this.
  2. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wow never seen this one, and yikes what a nightmare. Haunted Mansion meets Beach Boys SMiLE type of artwork.
    Terrifying.
    Is it meant to be, like, New Orleans??

3. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with that last one, but I kind of want to buy it now just for the cover to be honest :D

ausgraeme likes this.
  4. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

"Out of the Back Room...of Hades!"

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, i guess the point i'm making is would you rather them to Carole King Tapestry or Santana Abraxas as a one step?
    Should MOFI have put Abraxas into the Silver Label program to "attract new buyers"? but at the cost of the lost opportunity
    to do it as a one-step?

While every record selected for a series costs the same at msrp - the commercial potential to sell certain high interest titles supports the
    choice to be produced in the higher price series.

I have no issue with BNC taking flyers on certain obscure long out of print records and giving them the visibility to a new
    audience that may not be 'collectors' or 'audiophiles'.... but for some reason the rigid decision making of the BN programs
    seem to escape some obvious huge wins the market has proven over and over. Is Blue Train so special a record as a TP?
    I think BN could do that 10 times over with other top titles they put in the BNC series. Or better yet, do them both ways.

Basically, what i'm saying is it's very weird what BN chose to do, because the TP title selection is pretty much backwards from the MMJ series.
    The majority of TP's should be Classics, and the heavy hitters ( the 'real' classics) should be TP's.
    It's interesting that this recent batch of TPs is finally getting closer to what the series could be,
    and not simply letting Joe's previous release schedule be determining what titles fall into the plan.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I see what you’re saying but unfortunately Blue Note is owned by a monolith that operates under the century-long music industry practice: make them buy again what they already bought.

I have no doubt the BNC titles will be done again with Tone Poet level jackets. It just won’t be for a while, not until the next guard.

I think one day they’ll do the 45s again, but not until everyone has bought the 33s.

After that will come the records in deluxe packaging with the outtakes

And in 2080 they’ll be remixing the two track recordings with AI

Look what BNC did with the first round of titles: hard hitting titles that were a lock for good sales. Now? Spreading out the catalog so they can exploit it for longer.

I’m not thrilled about it either and it would be nice if there were more “exceptions” like Blue Train but I feel you just can’t fight City Hall.

mishima's dog and DeRosa like this.
  7. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I have that t-shirt. Uniqlo also did a bunch of ECM tees including a highly attractive Return to Forever one.

8. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

I actually like the BNC covers. They’re exactly what I expected them to be when I got into collecting the reissues. Were the original covers tip on or gatefold?

9. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Mostly tip on (Caramba was a wacky Unipak gatefold)…some other OGs were tip on gatefolds. Majority tip on non gatefold.

10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Agreed on all of this

best covers

My Conception
    The Cooker
    It’s Time!!!!!
    Nigeria
    Byrd in Flight

MisterBritt and rcsrich like this.
  11. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

It may still be too much for a record, but Roll Call 45 rpm can be had for a nice price with a little patience. I paid $85 for mine not long ago, which is a lot, but worth it for what is a top tier hard bop album. Maybe Mobley’s best. Maybe.

13. GabrielJazz

I guess ignorance is bliss then! I had assumed they were true to the OGs.

rcsrich likes this.
  14. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

FYI just grabbed Great Jazz Standards and Blue Spirits with the 30% off Udiscover code.
    Time For Tyner and Slow Drag are sold out already. I wonder if some were quick to get those at a discount.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Hmm...I had the Gil Evans in my cart and backed out. Streamed it again a few days ago. It's OK but never seems to really rise up. Not sure if I want to own it. I did grab Blue Spirits and Wes M for 30% off, good deal.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  16. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Time for Tyner and Slow Drag were not part of the 30% discount as they were pre-orders. Sure about the McCoy for I tried to include it in my cart. So I got this title @ the Blue Note store @25% off.

this_machine likes this.
  17. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Today they went off pre order.

I am not positive but I don't remember any TPs being eligible for 30% last week.

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Blue Spirits & Gil Evans certainly were

99khan and Jasonbraswell like this.
  19. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Funny you mention Caramba I actually found that at my local today. What a weird gatefold.

rcsrich likes this.
  20. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I like the Miles/Gil era, plus Duke, Gerald Wilson, etc.. big band stuff is pretty well played in my collection.

Not a taste for everyone, but I dig some trombone jazz like Kai Winding. It hits different.

mktracy likes this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

wore mine yesterday haha

MisterBritt and PATB like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So are you ready to poke fun at me once again, WTF not I say...just had these on CD's before...

Slow Drag - Hearing it like this I have to say this is indeed one of Byrd's better records. Cedar Walton is just killing it all over and Higgins, holy smoke, as Joe said he was feeling no pain especially on the title track. Byrd and Red deliver some sweet sounds throughout making this a very welcome edition to the Tone Poet collection.

Time For Tyner - May I just say this one is worth getting for African Village and May Street. Interesting how the soundstage comes across at times, and not saying anything negative there. But when you have McCoy and Hutch going at it, you have to sit back and take it all in.

Long day of awesome music and that was a quick impression of my first listens of these...the sound on both are very impressive.

23. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Definitely. Dippin’ and Roll Call are my favorite Mobley albums. Own all the Mobley AP45 and MMJ45’s. Didn’t buy the BNC of Soul Station because of that (well, I did, as a birthday gift for a friend, and it sounds really good). But Tone Poets will make me double dip.

Chandler Dickson likes this.
  24. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Can’t wait! :goodie:

GabrielJazz likes this.
  25. GabrielJazz

I really like the Gil Evans. It’s one of those records where the Tone Poet process really paid off. It is substantially better than the streaming version - which I found rather dull and yawn inducing!