'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

This is about to become an expensive month for me. In the next two weeks I expect the four new DG Classics "The Original Source Series" releases for about $200 and "Changes: The Complete 1970s Atlantic Studio Recordings" for another $200. Add to that the two new ECM reissues and a few other things. I think when my wife is in the same room I will need to :hide:

OTOH: I just told my company I am going to work FT to the end of the year, instead of switching to PT in August. That's more money for fun stuff.

GabrielJazz, rcsrich and Peter K like this.
  2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

In keeping with other comments, completely blown away by Time for Tyner. Never really listened to this one before. Will be one of the releases of 2023 for me. We are so lucky.

3. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

4. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

That is 100% the best bang for your buck, but the difference between this and the MMJ 45 is a lot. And the Classic Series sounds good and will scratch your itch

that doesn’t apply to the Classic Series across the board which is strange. I was surprised for example how close Evolution was. I predicted it would be one with a big difference and the Classic Series got damn close. Not so much with Point of Departure. Or Fuchsia Swing Song.

5. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Ha what's the saying ?
    If I never hear the tree fall in the woods....

GabrielJazz likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

When the BN Classic of Evolution came out it had so much non-fill I returned it for refund and didn't even attempt a replacement (I thought I would collect some 33s of MMJ45s I have for convenience of more casual listening). With that I also decided I would only buy BN Classics of titles I don't already have and really desire. So for this round I am only buying Spring and Unit Structures. I just hope they are good. I have them as 80s EMI Pathé Marconi reissues that aren't too bad, but would love something better.

Edit: I recently ordered the July titles too (Heavy Soul and Turning Point), so we'll see how they turn out. I may still cancel them.

7. gonolith

gonolith Well-Known Member

8. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

Do we have any definitive info as to the provenance of the Mingus (AAA?) or are you just rolling the dice that Rhino will come through?

9. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

New hype sticker wording...

Yet, will it be enough to convince people??? :laugh:

[​IMG]

j4yheindeo, mktracy, scotti and 4 others like this.
  10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Didn’t need convincing with TPs but yes this needs to be the standard wording for AAA cuts.

11. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Wait, all the prior Tone Poets didn’t say that. :sigh:

Lamus, mktracy and kt66brooklyn like this.
  12. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

But is it over $100 better? I guess that's for the individual to decide.

Rollin’Stone74 and Trifonius like this.
  13. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Sonny Rollins as below

ubiknik likes this.
  14. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I was glancing at it quickly and thought it said digitally cut at first.:biglaugh:
    Then, I realized something changed and looked at an older sticker. It used to state "Mastered from the original analog tapes."

I like the new update.
    Maybe it will be a trend to use the word "cut from" in the industry.

ETSEQ, mktracy and FWatty like this.
  15. Mano-be

Mano-be Active Member

Any of the represses already available in EU somewhere?

16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

But what does "directly" mean?? :D

DeRosa and mkortjohn like this.
  17. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Not to my knowledge yet - a few pop up from US ebay sellers (Rarewaves-United) every now and again - last I checked you could get The Cooker and One Flight Up from them for about £41 here in the UK.

18. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

Kevin Gray comes to your house and plays the tape for you.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The UK Blue Note store seems to have Chet Baker Sings as well as various other older TP’s (For Django, Out of the Blue etc.), if anyone is looking for that one still. £32.99. Prices have risen, Slow Drag is £34.99.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    rcsrich likes this.
  20. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Chet Baker Sings is gone they do have Chet Baker Sings and Plays but sadly not the long long long awaited repress

21. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

Believe I read that's coming end of July/early August. Maybe not in the UK though. As far as the rest of the represses goes, Rarewaves on Ebay is a good option. Costs about £41+. Another option is to buy direct from Blue Note US. You'll need to buy 2 or more to make it worthwhile price-wise.

Swann36 likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Slow Drag and Time For Tyner...I did pull them both out and listen to them again yesterday. After spending another listen with the Tyner, I have to say as much as I enjoy it, there is just something about it that lacks at times. I almost attribute that to the way it sounds. I wish it opened up more at times as I think that would have helped with how the music comes across. African Village and May Street make this worth getting and out of the three songs from musicals, "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top" is clearly the winner here. A lower title in the middle tier for me. I will spend some more time with it though.

On to "Slow Drag" now we are talking or should I say sloppy rapping with Billy. The sound on this one is much better and this is one crazy good/fun record to listen to. "Slow Drag" and "Jelly Roll" are worth the price of admission and Cedar Walton is just on fire on this. This might be an essential for me.

So check this out, when I was pulling the record out yesterday I noticed something else inside the jacket that I missed multiple times. I knew they kept the jacket true to the OG but I did not know they included a two sided picture insert, very nice and it brought a smile to my face.

23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I just received both so looking forward to dropping the needle on them today.
    Yes, that Slow Drag insert is cherry.

scotti likes this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Let us know what you think of the sound on the Tyner...I need to give it another spin today and give it a good listen. I wonder if anyone else that has it would agree where I'm coming from regarding the sound...its good, just not what I was hoping for.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  25. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I had to cancel my preorders for Time for Tyner and Slow Drag, I was really looking forward to those. But I found some titles from craft that harder to get in Europe on imusic (two Chet Baker on Riverside records and Charles Kynard's Afrodisiac) as well as the repress for The Prisoner and some relatively good deals on two BN80s records.
    I was really excited when Time For Tyner was leaked, having McCoy and Bobby in a hornless setting is something else and I'm really curious about it (I haven't heard it so far, by this time I know I can buy a McCoy record blind). I sampled Slow Drag, and its tight grooves are also right up in my alley.

So on the one hand I'm jealous of y'all who already got the records, on the other hand, with this nice weather (today we have almost 30 degrees Celsius) I'm barely listening to records.