'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Was just spinning Curtis Amy’s ‘Katanga’ on Pacific Jazz. What a superb record that could be appreciated by a lot more ears with the Tone Poet treatment. It remains brutally difficult to find in either physical or digital realms (at least here in the US it’s not available digitally on any of the major services...don’t know if that’s the case outside the States).
    The track “Native Land” is absolutely one of my favorite jazz tunes, EVER. Damn, **SO** good. Plus this is just one of the two studio records Dupree Bolton played on...a shame that it’s so elusive.

Dean R, mike_c, Lucca90 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Katanga is on the Mosaic Select which you can still find online. I know that when the Select was issued it received a lot of publicity so a good many people may have purchased it.

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  3. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

thanks for the info.. Will have to check this out

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

As I said earlier, there are some great LPs from the other labels. Like:
    Charles Mingus - Jazz Portraits (Mingus in Wonderland)
    Teddy Edwards - Sunset Eyes
    Art Farmer - Modern Art
    Cy Touff - His Octet and Quintet
    John Lewis - Grand Encounter (sadly, very short)
    Jack Montrose - Sextet
    Jim Hall - Jazz Guitar.

Mark J, Bryce, brimuchmuze and 4 others like this.
  5. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

ALL inspired choices!

Bryce likes this.
  6. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I picked up Hustlin' and Chant this weekend at Rough Trade. I was really trying to save some money this year and avoid the TP reissues and this thread, after being blown away by the Chick Corea, Sam Rivers, and Wayne Shorter releases. But there they were at Rough Trade Brooklyn, just staring at me. I somehow was able to put the Kenny Burrell back, but after listening to these two, I'll probably have to go back for it.

I tried to catch up in this thread, but there was like 75 pages of bickering over one album. JFC, I get that we are passionate about music, but who has time for all that arguing? Looking forward to the October releases for sure! I'm back in to the releases, but will keep a wary eye on this thread.

Aeryn Sun, Bryce, Mazzy and 6 others like this.
  7. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Just got the Dexter Gordon and the Kenny Burrell today. The dexter is outstanding, but Introducing Kenny Burrell has a serious warp and some surface noise on the first track on side 2. No problem returning it to Amazon. Think I’ll replace it with Cornbread and maybe Wayne’s ETC.

8. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

My Kenny is perfect and it is an awesome album. Get another copy.

Dai, IanL, Maltman and 6 others like this.
  9. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

True enough, though the notion of having it as a standalone, relatively inexpensive, single LP is really attractive. It’s also probably a better option for more widespread adoption—the Mosaic Select series is terrific but it has a narrower, more enthusiast-oriented appeal and if prepped for Tone Poet ‘Katanga’ stands a good chance of getting to digital platforms as well which gives it a shot of going even wider. Also, from my perspective (one man’s opinion anyway) ‘Katanga’ stands a few notches above the rest of the music on that particular set, though I should probably revisit the other discs as it’s been awhile.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  10. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Just finished a great meal with my beautiful wife. I'm half a bottle of wine into the evening and now on my second rye&seven listening to Wayne Shorter's ETC. I think I heard a warble at the beginning of Penelope for about 3 seconds. But it's all good. I'm feelin' warm. Great album!

Dan Steele and brimuchmuze like this.
  11. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

I received my Kenny Burrell Intro.... with few deep scratches on Side B. Thankfully Amazon replaced me another perfect copy without any fuss.

paulmock likes this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Amazon is great for returns.

Even if anyone is hesitant about a certain title in the series, I say pick it up and relax and listen. If you are not happy it's an easy return.

bluemooze, WatchMaker and paulmock like this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread will reopen. Stand by.

paulmock likes this.
  14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Posts deleted, to put it understatedly. One suspension issued.

This thread is not to continue as it has been.

Carry on; post thoughtfully and politely, and move to a dedicated thread, if needed.

When things get out of hand as they did here, please, hit the REPORT button. This dragged on way, way too long.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  15. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thank you @MLutthans. Let's hope this thread goes back to what it once was. Eager to see some users coming back, including @Joe Harley.

16. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

Finally, thank you ... I'm really happy.

17. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

Thanks, I am happy that the thread has been reopened. Last day I have been listening intensively to Cornbread and Face to Face, received both in July bat it was to hot here in Sicily to listen well to them.
    Now, even if I have plenty of records in the queue, but I like them so much that every time I have time I put them on my VPI.
    I am waiting for Introducing Kevin Burrell from amazon.com and Chant from dodax.fr and I preordered on amazon.it Minor Move and Born To Be Blue. For the European forumers, good price in .it less than 30 euros for record.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Dan Steele and Anselmo like this.
  18. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

I am too looking forward to read again from Joe Harley here

paulmock, hutlock and Anselmo like this.
  19. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I will be in my best behavior I promise. There are plenty of great music to listen to and appreciate and even greater forum members to exchange and share music with. Long live Blue Note...long live the Tone Poet series.

paulmock and dastinger like this.
  20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Different philosophies; I’m quite content with the Mosaic.

On the rest of the music, the Select was intended to bring together his Pacific output.

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much every single Kohl's department store has an Amazon return kiosk now. If you're close by to one, that makes it pretty easy.

Fender Relic and Aeryn Sun like this.
  22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

How much did you get it for? I got mine from Dodax.nl for €25 and it jumped up to almost €40 the day after. Looking for Hustlin' to go down in price.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thank you! Thank you! @MLutthans. I was hoping you'd catch wind of this thread and clean house. I meant to bring it up in our "conversations" but it always slipped my brain. :rolleyes:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

NOOOOOO! Please give Kenny another chance. That is a near-perfect recording. I am so happy to have it in my collection.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I did not know that. Thank you!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.