'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

I ma glad you have enjoyed Italy if come back e visit Sicily it would be a Pleasure to meet you...

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  2. Giorgiovinyl

Giorgiovinyl Forum Resident

26 euros, Hustlin' was the same price but I did not order it... carpe diem...

3. MusicaMusica

MusicaMusica Active Member

I purchased five of these from Amazon. The order came in three different shipments from three different fulfillment centers. Four came VERY well packaged, each with its own heavy cardboard mailer, then put into a second box. ONE however, came with NO BOX. Not kidding. Amazon just slapped a label onto it and gave it to UPS. It arrived predictably with corners damaged. Its being sent back the same way it was shipped to me.

4. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Is that an SRX sticker on the Matador?

5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

I just saw and ordered the upcoming (Oct.) TP and 80th issues, this time Amazon made the digital files available to stream & download, nice! I wonder if these are digital cuts from the current KG remasters? Also, "Born to be Blue" has 9 tracks totally around 50 mins. and Jutta Hipp has 8 tracks totally over 50 mins. Will the vinyl be the same tracks and thus include all the digital file cuts?

6. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Giorgio, when I do come back I'll make sure not to come in the summer, it was so hot in Napoli at the end of June! I did visit a friend in Tuscany, near Vinci, it was nice weather, not too hot up there. I can only image how hot it gets in Sicily in the summer!

Giorgiovinyl likes this.
  7. Yeah. That’s an MMJ. Mixed it up.

8. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

You had me really excited for a minute there!

Hgavinyl and Mazzy like this.
  9. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thing is, he recorded as a leader and the albums (as we know now) were killer. And still, the tapes were shelved and wouldn't see the light of day until Cuscuna did his thing.

Point number 3 makes total sense to me, but I still don't understand why Alfred simply chose to not go ahead with great albums already recorded because of personality or drug abuse (and, as you mention, Tina was far from being the only one with drug issues).

Well, I guess we'd never know.

This actually makes sense, but where did you get that info? Would love to read more about this.

That Sidewinder sounds just as an original! Got one a few months ago for €10 due to a small edge warp that was fixed and I love the punch on it.

Oh well, wish I had seen it at that price (still, €29 is pretty good).

It really depends on the fulfilment centre. It happens more often than I'd like it to unfortunately. And the jackets rarely survive intact.

10. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Loved Tina Brooks first time I heard him when Cuscuna was releasing stuff from vault. Bought all Tina’s albums and all the ones he was side man. Particularly liked him with Kenny Burrell and Jackie McLean. Also released gems from Sonny Clark, Herbie Nichols and Andrew Hill to name few.

11. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Blue notes galore from the Mazz!!!

12. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

That happened to Fremer too...

Michael Fremer on Twitter

13. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

14. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

I will, honest.:)

15. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

It’s in my cart.

ceynon likes this.
  16. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

We interrupt this regular programming to bring you this very important message...

If you love jazz, you should know or have heard of altoist Charles McPherson. Although he never recorded for Blue Note (to my knowledge; also "The Complete Town Hall Concert of Charles Mingus" from 1962 was rereleased on Blue Note in 1994 and does not count). McPherson recorded extensively for Prestige, Xanadu, and Mainstream labels, among a few others.

If any of you will be in Los Angeles/Southern California area around the the 21st of this month, do yourselves a huge favor and check him out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This photo was taken 32 years ago when I went to listen to his Quartet (that included pianist Alan Broadbent) at Catalina's Bar in North Hollywood. I saw him on May 8, 1987...and less than 2 weeks later, I caught another great saxophonist - Michael Brecker at The Palace, also in Hollywood.

McPherson is 80. Sonny Rollins just turned 89 a few days ago. Wayne Shorter turned 86 last month. These jazz legends and many others are getting up there. Don't be satisfied with listening and owning their records...catch them while you can!!!

I have been fortunate to have witnessed, and in many cases met, many of my BN idols (headliners or sidemen). To name a few...McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Tony Williams, Sam Rivers, Jackie McLean, Roy Haynes, Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, Harold Vick, Harold Mabern, Bob Cranshaw, and a few others.

Thank you. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

dman23, action pact, Dean R and 13 others like this.
  17. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

All of this. And get everything he did on Xanadu.

99khan likes this.
  18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

In the middle of Love Letters on Hustlin' it goes from stereo to mono. Sheesh. what gives? Did I miss this being explained?

Marko K, jon9091 and patient_ot like this.
  19. Harrison

Harrison Forum Resident

I don’t believe this has been mentioned previously! Are you perhaps able to post an audio clip of the part? Does it stay in mono or return to stereo? What is the extent of the anomaly?

20. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Mazzy, I hope you also have State of the Tenor 2 - that's magic too,
    even if it is not from the early Blue Note Years.

garrincha likes this.
  21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

this happens on, presumably, the original tape. i have the BN Works CD from 1994 so this is not a new "problem". it's at the point where Shirley Scott solos, so maybe two takes spliced together and nobody cared that one was mono?

22. I do not.except on CD

23. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

It happened to me a few times too, every each time there will be damaged corners, and I will send them back.
    I wonder why do Amazon do such things :crazy::crazy::crazy:

24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

is that right. Well I wish I would have known. Don't need this record that bad it's going back. I'd be looking to see if my mono button was still in from a previous record every time it happened.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Just listened to Hustlin’ and Introducing Kenny Burrell. Excellent music and sound on both. :thumbsup:

scotti likes this.