'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’ll let him speak for himself, but it appears that an OG doesn’t have the same splice issue, and because he’s used to that copy, it’s hard for his ears to adjust to the TP

2. Got it. I misread. Like most remixes these days or versions that are different to what we first heard. .

After 50 years of the original stereo Sgt Pepper, I just can’t get into the new one. Invidious not the same thing but I get it.

Hadn’t heart Huslin’ before so this new one is fabulous to me.

3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

When was the splice introduced?

patient_ot likes this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

:)
    Thanks for posting the list. I’m in same boat and prefer being selective with Blakey. Heck, I’m a guitar player and haven’t lapped up all of the Grant Green titles. Workin’ on Burrell though :)

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Excellent points here. While I agree the warble rambling became over the top, I come here to collect information and to learn from those like me who love jazz and great sound. When opinions are silenced and, worse yet, evidence is erased, the utility of this thread is greatly diminished.

6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thank you both, I'll listen on Spotify!

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Couldn’t tell you, obviously as none of us really have seen or been in possession of BN master tape.

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

just found this post from 2015 on the organissimo forums which contradicts struttincool's input here...
    "Anyone else notice the sudden shift from stereo to mono on the second track, at the beginning of Scott's solo? I assume there was an issue with the stereo recorder at the session, as I have the original vinyl and it does the same thing. If I recall correctly, Rudy always had a mono safety running."

johnpisme and Bryce like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

In regards to a mono safety running, I believe that would be incorrect. Rudy stopped the practice of running both a mono and stereo reel somewhere in 1958, hustlin is 1964.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

right, but that's another topic. of more importance is "when" this splice happened. people cancelling or returning orders based on one person's recollection (we all make assumptions based on memory that are later proved incorrect) seems a bit drastic if this is a master tape issue. perhaps there was a flaw in the very first pressing that was "fixed" by the splice to mono as early as '65 (the record was released more than a year after the recording, not that much can be read into that given BN's release schedule).

Bryce likes this.
  11. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yes, but if the splice isn’t on the original pressing, there is likely a subsequent pressing where the splice first becomes present, which is what I’m wondering about. I only have this TP Hustlin’ and the shift on that track is not bothersome to me at all, but I’m wondering when it would have occurred.

recstar24 likes this.
  12. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yes, exactly. I’m wondering when this happened - if it’s not on the original.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Got it. I’ll let @struttincool chime in as it’s his post that I think needs some clarification (he’s the one with the OG). I was I only trying to interpret what he posted.

Bryce likes this.
  14. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Well-stated Mazzy. I’m really glad I have this one. Amazing record. Now I have to try to go back and listen for the splice.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Will take a listen on Tidal before ordering.

I'd like to know that too...is it on earlier LP and CD issues, even going back decades?

Hmmm. Perhaps some more Clyp postings are in order, wherever those are allowed.

gr8trak and Bryce like this.
  16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Speaking of mono splice on Hustlin': I was very wrong! It's on the original pressing! I apologize....

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification.

Bryce likes this.
  18. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

Yup...it’s pretty troublesome for me to do returns back, I have had almost 45% return rates for records (mostly from other labels) I bought from Amazon, mainly because of warped or superficial defects.
    Don’t get me wrong, they are not all Amazon’s fault, and I truly appreciate Amazon and their customer service.

That is the reason why I love this forum and the people contributing to it. You guys really helped me a lot and save me plenty of unnecessary trouble :love: :love: :love:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  19. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I believe one of the original releases of Hustlin' was in mono. I have no idea if it was a fold-down of the stereo or if there was a mono recording.

20. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I have this album on reel to reel (15 ips / 1/2 track). It is stereo, made from a safety master. Just like the LP the sound switches to mono at the beginning of Scott's solo in "Love Letters." I don't have the original stereo LP but my guess is that all copies are the same (unless someone finds one that does not).

PATB, timzigs, Bryce and 1 other person like this.
  21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

But there is no mono master tape. Only stereo.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

See above. The OG stereo LP that @struttincool has been discussing has the splice. It has been there all along.

paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I see the post. Just wondering aloud what could have been spliced in because
    They're all fold downs in the mid 60s on blue note. No mono master tapes exist.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    hutlock likes this.
  24. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

It is possible that that section of the recording is just one of the original channels. I need to listen to it again to see if that could be what they did.

Fractured likes this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Even though by this time RVG was only running session tapes in stereo, he would have made a mono tape by folding down the stereo into mono, and for whatever reason would have needed to take a splice from that mono tape to fix whatever issue was on the stereo tape. This is all contingent on if you believe that the original stereo tape is the one with the mono splice (as it appears and confirmed above an original copy does have the mono issue)