'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

JMCIII, Fractured, Aeryn Sun and 10 others like this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Me too!
    Instant pre order. Really been enjoying this one on Apple Music since it was announced. Cool pairing of Mobley and Pepper

hutlock, Rob Zarzecki and scotti like this.
  3. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

hutlock, Rob Zarzecki and scotti like this.
  4. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

The mastering engineer and the mastering studio are the same, but do the mastering choices sound the same to you? I definitely felt like KG made some different mastering decisions with this one vs. a Tone Poet. Joe Harley has spoken about the philosophy of the Tone Poets to reveal as much of what it is like to be in the room with the master tape playing. In other words: it's a flat transfer with no EQ to boost/cut frequencies. To my ear, it sounds like KG sweetened some frequencies. The bass, in particular, sounds phenomenal.

What do others who have heard both think?

scotti likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

His intonation is better on some records than others.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

It works for me more in his later years.

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Are you sure this is the RSD and not one of the records from the box that's about to be released? It could be indicative that they'll sell those records separately.

8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

has a release date of 22nd November, on Concord - which tallies up with the RSD. might be, might not. we will see

9. David Kramer

David Kramer Forum Resident

as far as that Chet LP for RSD, I am under the impression that the box is stereo and the RSD release was MONO....I bought 2 copies of the RSD release and both were poorly pressed...or perhaps I should say poorly handled?? before making their way to the sleeve...both have marks and both have scratches that sound...I returned one only to have the other show up just as bad,,,

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That sucks and blows simultaneously.

11. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Well, I just completed my TP 2019 set by picking up Glamoured and Cornbread (I have the 75th of the latter) in a BF sale at my local store, and then stumbled across Black Fire on Amazon.ca today for CAD 22 (under 20 bucks USD). Had to go for it at that price!

I'm thankful for a couple of months off between releases, though looking forward (with some financial trepidation) to the 2020 series announcement.

lbloom, scotti, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I dunno....with the sales that occured at various locations after the TP releases were out for awhile I think I will wait on these new releases to show up at sale prices rather than jumping on them as they just get released. I certainly have PLENTY of great LP's to listen to from the 1st round and the BN 80's.

Crazysteve and Peterr like this.
  13. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Poppin’ is on my list! For a short moment I was confusing it with Dippin’ and wondering why it was given a new cover :)

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

I Just looked on Amazon to preorder this again as the first time was removed, and Im not showing any new TP albums for release. Hank Mobley "Poppin" is diff on my radar to get.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just opened up my copy and it is flat and looks fantastic, will be spinning it later. I am not a fan of Jazz vocals per say, but I am a huge Sinatra fan and thought I would give this one a chance (never heard it and like to take a chance here in there and it was only $24.99). The feedback on the RSD Black Friday 2019 sound thread has been fantastic, like he is singing to you in your very room. With that said, have not heard it yet, but will give my thoughts later on the sound.

Listened to "Born To Be Blue" and then "Sunday Morning" back to back yesterday. BTBB is one of my favorite Tone Poet's so far, but I have to say "Sunday Morning" does sound better and it is noticeable. Not night and day mind you, just a bit better and no doubt thanks to the bass/bottom end to the recording. It's a fantastic record and I got my copy for $25.99, so very happy! I think even the standard black is limited, but can't confirm. If a Grant Green fan, this is a must have!

Ordering Hank and Stanley when I pick up my MoFi 45 of Dire Straits - Love Over Gold this Friday at my local store...and I think it's about time to shut down for the year, my oh my, what a year for awesome vinyl releases!!!

Do not mean to further derail, but I have had the new Who album "Who" for the past week now (comes out this Friday) and it is a bleeding masterpiece! Their best record since "Quadrophenia" and one of the most remarkable triumphs in Rock music in many years!

Dmann201 and garrincha like this.
  16. AnalogJ

Sinatra and Baker are two extremely different vocalists, stylistically. Sinatra swings and is full of emotion, really interpreting the lyric. He expresses warmth and heat, at well as attitude, as someone would growing up in New Jersey.

Baker, on the other hand, is oh so cool. He almost whispers the lyric in comparison. He treats his vocal phrasing like the cool, west coast jazz trumpeter he is. West coast clubs were often supper clubs, which required you played under the din of diners, not disturbing their conversation and meals.

Yes, the presence of Baker's voice is very impressive. But you might detect the flaw in this pressing, and that's warbling in the piano at times, a weird fast fluctuation of pitch. Listen to the piano chords in the first song, for example, and see if you hear it.

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks! Will listen closely and respond later. Yes, I realize they are different, but was just hoping my love of Sinatra, might help me a bit here, but the way you have described Chet's vocals has me looking forward to it, warbles or not...ha! Keep in mind, I'm one of the folks that think "Black Fire" is great overall, but I will be honest with my response on Chet...

Since there is a bit of a wait on Tone Poet releases, I am one, that if you have contributed to the main topic of this thread like many of us regulars here, it is alright to derail from time to time. I hope others are ok with this...

18. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Whenever I feel I’m buying too many records, you all have a way of making me feel prudent. Thanks! I went to search out Sunday Morning today, without luck. I did pick up incredible reissues not jazz related, and it looks like The Who may be next. I’m very excited for the next round of Jazz, especially Poppin’, the January BN80’s (and beyond) and Sunday Mornin whenever I can find it. I was bummed to be road trippin and missing out on RSD, but I think I’ll be alright.

scotti likes this.
  19. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Amazon.fr now shows Chet Baker "Sings" and Grant Green "Nigeria" are to be released on Feb 28th!

20. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Poppin' is definitely a purchase for me. Love Hank Mobley.

Aeryn Sun, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I listened to the Chet Baker - Sings "It Could Happen To You" RSD KG mono yesterday for the first time. Never heard one note from the record. Yes @AnalogJ I did hear a bit of the odd piano sound on a couple parts of the first song when he was not singing, but not enough to derail the listen, and after that, I heard it no more.

The sound quality of this record is an easy 10/10, yes it really is that good to my ears. The vocals are absolutely stunning and yes it's like he is in your room singing to you. My copy is pressed perfect, quiet as can be with not one flaw, so I guess I got lucky. Mono is the way to hear this, no way would I go for this one in stereo.

I am not supposed to like this kind of music, but I absolutely love this record and every song on it! A couple of my favorites are You're Driving Me Crazy and Old Devil Moon, with ODM being the best.

So that brings me to the up and coming Tone Poet release of Chet Baker "Sings", now I am really looking forward to this one!

And staying on topic, thought I would drift on back to the 5/31 releases and have me some "Cornbread" while I do the "Shing-A-Ling" later today...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  22. AnalogJ

The Baker is an excellent record, no doubt. The warbling does occur at other times on the record, though. If it doesn't bother you, you're lucky. Believe me, I wasn't listening for it. It is just there for me. I'm a musician, and having never heard the album before, I wanted to hear the record.

recstar24 and scotti like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm studied music and took over 5 years of drum lessons. I think some of us just can hear certain pitches differently. I have the Speakers Corner of the Roach/Hasaan and the piano is indeed a train wreck though out, but the rest sounds great. Just so you know I can hear problems with the sound on records.

No need to revive this thread on piano warbles, but I do realize we are going to have issues from time to time.

Anyhow, nice to see more Tone Poet's coming our way, and where the heck is the 2020 list please...

timzigs and Joti Cover like this.
  24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

...And if they figured out how to fix the tape speed flaws that ruined a few of the 2019 TPs, 2020 could be a banner year for affordable great jazz releases.

One can only hope.

Anyway, still not pre-ordering anything with a piano on it.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Joe said on Instagram yesterday that we can look for the 2020 announcement next week.

timzigs, Joti Cover, lbloom and 12 others like this.