'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Come on, Scotti, spill it !

2. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Hank Mobley's Hi Voltage.

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  3. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

On that Joe Harley interview posted in this thread a while back the host and Joe had high praise for Art Farmer.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Amazon Canada now has the TP preorders at $32.41 !

ceynon likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Maybe the series should be named 'SUX' rather than SRX? :hide: (kidding)

birchstick likes this.
  6. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

These threads are almost MMJ TMZ...

7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Some of the out of print Tone Poet titles are getting expensive on the aftermarket, Chet Baker sold for 99 USD on ebay today, wow.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Another example why if Amazon is one 0f your options, you alway pre order right away...

mktracy and DeRosa like this.
  9. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

People are just impatient. I can't imagine Blue Note not putting the Chet Baker back in print. As we've seen with other titles that were sold out, they have come back into stock. Turnaround in general for getting titles repressed is just slow at the moment.

10. AnalogJ

But they're not out of print. as @Dreaddazzman says, it's just that people are impatient. The whole industry has slowed down due to COVID-19. These titles will eventually be back at regular price. They're not limited editions. That's not to say that they'll be in print forever. It will depend on demand, but the series is popular. Why would they suddenly stop pressing them when they're making money off of them.

Marko K likes this.
  11. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I know that they are not out of print, I do think though they may not be repressed for a while.

Which ones will get pressed first though - the new Tone Poets or the ones out of print? :)

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  12. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

IMO- I would think the new ones are more important to Blue Note to get out. Gotta keep that machine rolling and they've already had to delay titles. :righton:

Marko K likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

There are many sources that carry the Tone Poets, including Plaid Room Records, Bullmoose (I think), etc. There's a record store in Providence, RI, that carries a LOT of jazz, including the TPs and the BN80s. He also gets in the OneStep MoFis. If I'm not mistaken, it's Round Again Records. In any event, check around and you just might find copies at retail.

jgrillo and superstar19 like this.
  14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Kind of depends! The hold up is with the pressing plant and Stoughton, so it could be issues at either or both. Also, it depends if they had the orders in for the new stuff before the old stuff sold out (which I would say is probably the case). So the new stuff is probably ahead in line.

The thing to remember is: NONE of this is actually out of print. Be patient and don’t get gouged!!!

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's still available for CA$49.99 at Amazon.ca.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

chet baker sings for $100?! sounds like shill funnybusiness to me.

17. brimuchmuze

Lazy buyer?

magnet and GentleSenator like this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It happens even the amazon marketplace. As soon as something is out of stock, let alone after going out of print,
    the algorithms take over and the prices on listings shoot up into orbit. I don't know how many get sold at hugely inflated prices,
    but there are certainly many listings. Any title that has demand from fans and no current supply will hit $100 and then $200
    because at some point someone will pay it. I noticed some Van Morrison records like "Back On Top" from 1999 selling for
    $300-$500 on discogs, sometimes almost double that. it's insane that simple supply and demand will fetch those kind of prices.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Since my recent acquisition on Breaking Point on Heavenly Sweetness only days later to find out there’s to be a TP of it I’ve decided not to buy any non TP/MMJ of titles not already released by MMJ or AP

Dignan2000, Thom Lieb and hutlock like this.
  20. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Any chance we get Donald Byrd Mustang or Lee Morgan Caramba!(?)

I have a promo copy of Mustang and man does it swing! Both would be fine additions to the Tone Poet series.

danasgoodstuff, Rekkerds and trd like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yesterday was my first time in a very long time being able to visit a record store! A buddy and I did a little record store crawl, and at one of our stops, I picked up the Lonnie smith TP. Wow! This one is a smoker, in the jazz space funk kind of way lol. Absolutely love it, sounds great!

22. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

This!

Biff Jones likes this.
  23. brimuchmuze

For 2021 I am hoping for something by Ornette Colman, Don Cherry, or maybe Cecil Taylor, and for a modern recording Joe Lovano or Jason Moran.

24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Lee Morgan - Caramba would be great!, especially if they could do a better album cover. No idea why some jazz albums of that era had photos of (unknown?) women, but it's a concept that has aged quite poorly, not to mention having nothing to do with the artist.

25. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

What other albums are you referring to? There were, indeed, some albums with women pictures on the cover, but there was usually an explanation.