'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Miles was lucky to get Wayne. Much like his role in Weather Report, Shorter is the fulcrum.

kt66brooklyn and recstar24 like this.
  2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’ll duck for cover but Miles was lucky as hell to get all of those dudes that got time with him. I’m sure they got paid ok, but they also had to live with Miles, and across the years they carried the records into legendary status.

3. The ones coming out this month started at list price. I pre ordered right when they listed and they came down about a month later. I always ope order w them as you then get the lowest price it hits I can always cancel later If need be

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

With regards to this particular ensemble, the others really were given their first shot, while Wayne had already done time with Blakey and was leading his own sessions for Vee Jay and then Blue Note, he didn't need Miles as much as he needed Wayne. George Coleman was pretty straightforward and wasn't pushing himself on the same level. Shorters’ compositional acumen Bumped him into the stratosphere while Coleman played his bop pretty close to the vest.

BreakBeat DJ and trd like this.
  5. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I ended up accidentally stumbling upon a copy of ETC at my local Bull Moose today, so I bought it. So at this point I’ve gotten a copy of all the titles I wanted pretty easily, with the exception of waiting months on the Universal Blue Note store for delivery.

Joti Cover, zither, scotti and 3 others like this.
  6. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Happy to see Jimmy’s Prayer Meetin’ and would love to see The Sermon. This would make a great Tone Poet considering the title track is over 20 mins.

7. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I requested six months ago and need to again. Good Friday Blues: The Modest Jazz Trio. Pacific Jazz.
    Great record, and impossible to find outside of the internets for a surly price. Pacific Jazz so it fits. Maybe I can ask someone to whisper to Joe?

scotti likes this.
  8. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Also, Tina Brooks!

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hey now, I heard Miles was a real likable guy. An absolute joy to be around...

10. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Been away from this for a while dealing with the 19, but when I saw this, I had to step in and make the correction. RVG's stereo is NOT stereo, it's two-track mono in each channel, there was NO attempt to get stereo out of this. The problem is that too many people think "stereo" means "two-channel reproduction". It does not. Stereo describes a three-dimensional sound field created to form the illusion of a music field, stereo is the creation of a three-dimensional sound field, not just "two-channel' ping-pong sound. For more information you need to refer to Harry Olson's work with Bell Labs in the '30s with trying to create a realistic 3D sound field, he used 6-channels to create a realistic sound field. It was later determined that a minimum of 3 channels could create a "realistic" sound field. RVG never tried to create the sound in the two-channel recordings of stereo, hell, as many have noted, he monitored in mono, WTF how can you create a stereo field when your not even listening to and mixing to true stereo? If you want true stereo, go listen to Roy DuNann's work on Contemporary, he made the attempt to get the sound of a band in the recording space with his stereo recordings, not some ping-pong effect as was so often the result of early stereo done in the jazz and pop field. For more, study teh work done by both RCA, Everest, Mercury, and others. RVG did NOT record in true stereo, he recorded in 2-track mono.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Speaking of CTI, I'd like to see Milton Nascimento's Courage be given a quality reissue.

Biff Jones and kt66brooklyn like this.
  12. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Everything you're saying really only applies to RVG's earliest stereo recordings, which were indeed "ping-pong" stereo with everything on one side or the other.

But before long, he was achieving a true stereo field: piano and bass generally centered, drums right, horns both left and right.

13. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Bingo! I think that just about covers it correctly, RVG didn't look to create a stereo sound field even when recording to two-track, at least until the early/mid '60s...

14. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

You cannot create a stereo field to two-track tape if that was not your intention, only if you intended and monitored the original recording session to tape to get that sound would you get a stereo sound field. Heck, even today with multi-channel recording the resultant product is not necessarily stereo but just a bunch of tracks pan-potted into what the producer wants the final product to sound like.

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If by "earliest" you mean, "basically every 1500 series session recorded at Hackensack" that's correct.
    I personally would not characterize this as "before long". Rudy was years-late to the stereo party.
    1953ish-1959 Hackensack, mono
    1959 july - Englewood Cliff NJ - stereo

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  16. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I'm listening to Katanga! on youtube right now and loving it! Will be getting this for sure. Thanks for the introduction, Sydster.

Would be glad to have any tips about other similar "trippy" albums. Native Land kinda reminds me of Little House That I Used To Live In by Frank Zappa.

danasgoodstuff and kt66brooklyn like this.
  17. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Huh. Interesting. Gonna go spin that Zappa up now. I’ve often described “Native Land” as a song that’s about to bust into Phish’s “Reba” at any moment. I just love the way the whole tune just kind of...floats.
    Lots of mini reviews on my Instagram @jazzandcoffee...over 700 jazz LPs, plenty of trippy stuff among the classics and the esoteric. Lately been digging Elvin Jones ‘Genesis’, The J-Jazz compilations on BBE, and I’m **DEEP** down a rabbit hole with the Mainstream label.

18. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Reba is pretty Zappa-esque.

Sounds like I need to check this album out.

19. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I'm not sure what your point is here.
    That Van Gelder stereos aren't stereo because he was recording with a mono playback in mind?

trd and Aeryn Sun like this.
  20. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hi folks.

Has anyone received the Tone Poet release:

Joe Henderson The State of the Tenor Volume One?

Volume Two was released last year and is excellent.

21. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Re
    Joe Henderson

State Of The Tenor Vol. 1. (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) [LP]

It will be released Aug 28th so... Not yet

scotti and AnalogJ like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Only 23 more days before the official street date of the "Fantastic 4" new Tone Poets. Talk about one long wait...but it will all be worth it when these new treasures go for a spin on our turntables. Honestly, I have no idea which of these I'm most excited for. To get four new Jazz titles like this on the same day, as I say, hooray! Thank you Mr. Tone Poet, we appreciate it big time!

Just dig the heck out of the Reid Miles cover for "It's Time", super cool! Joe, Stanley, Bobby, and Jackie all coming over on the same day to hang out, holy smokes! Think I will grace my ears with some State of The Tenor Vol. 1 and Nigeria this afternoon. Can't go wrong with those two classics...

23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

spinning The Prisoner. I picked this one up on release date, but my deck has been out of action for a number of months, for one reason and another

man, this is one great sounding record! superb stuff

double thumbs up emoji

Joti Cover, trd, timzigs and 3 others like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wow, that's way too long to be without your turntable. Glad to hear you are back and running.

garrincha likes this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Let me clarify my mistake here, I meant to say State of The Tenor Vol 2...interesting though that Joe chose to release these that way.

trd and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.