'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Personally, I don't miss the BN80 series. Not a big fan of the flat and brighter mastering. The covers are bad and the pressing quality was all over the place. And that without even mentioning the titles with speed issues... What I enjoyed the most of that series are the more recent titles like Hand Jive and Lee Konitz's Alone Together.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I have heard the same however mine is flat very limited ticks considering how quiet the album is overall and no none-fill. I do agree with the brightness especially with the soprano saxophone however overall I enjoy mine.

Now the 75th of Perceptual was a really bad experience for me. After three pressing I kept the last one and in hindsight I should have sent that back (weakness of being a huge Brian Blade fan). Mind you all the 75th versions we not that good. Looking forward to seeing if the new series improves on them.

Tony Williams is amazing but I still need to pick up the La Roca one. I listened to it on spotify and it's brilliant. Joe Henderson is worth it alone!

BreakBeat DJ and Eric_B like this.
  3. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

To me, the TP of grant green / born to be a blue seems very, very slow and not very joyful ... I expected better and more engaging songs .... Very pale instead! ... I don't buy it, unlike others who have impressed me more!

4. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

OBLIQUE> BI-SECTIONAL was a big surprise for me. For the first time I felt that a post bop musical theme creates space and environments, characteristic of modern musical directions and in fact of the progressive ones.

OBLIQUE album is perfect and a special TP.

Bryce, AGimS, Kimiimacman and 4 others like this.
  5. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

Yes, in addition to oblique I also liked the phantom

scotti and magnet like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Unfortunately I have some bad news if you were looking forward to Grant Green's "Oleo". I was talking with Joe earlier today and he informed me that the tapes were basically shot, even after they baked them twice. So "The Latin Bit" which was scheduled for 2022 will be taking it's place and coming next year. This was one title my wife and I were big time looking forward to...

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That is a shame I would also have loved a TP issue of it, perhaps Don Was can get hold of the Japanese copy tape and use that for a non TP release.

scotti likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why is that the tape of the better album is always screwed and the subpar one is dandy? Meh.

Honestly, Im good if they never do another Green album, but if one more was going to be done Id have chosen "Oleo". The Latin Bit is an ok Green album imo, but nothing to write home about.

Moving on to some more cooler/riskier titles is my hope.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes, this was the one I really wanted. And The Latin Bit will be nice to have (fun little record), but my Grant Green collection is looking mighty fine, so I'm also hoping for more cooler/risker titles as well. Sometimes I seem to enjoy those more...

Kimiimacman and mpayan like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ah man, I was really looking forward to Oleo. But I share your interest in riskier titles as well. We definitely have enough Grant Green on audiophile vinyl nowadays.

mpayan likes this.
  11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oleo was one of the titles on the list I always nagged Joe with :( Oh well... Thank you for the news, Scotti!

12. LISTEN2JAZZ

LISTEN2JAZZ Active Member

It would appear that the BN Classic Series is supposed to be the deal of the day today, but all the titles still show full price:

BLUE NOTE CLASSIC SERIES HOLIDAY SALE – Blue Note Records

If only there were 3 titles being released, I could grab them from the Target or Amazon "3 for 2" deals going on right now. :)

13. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes that is disappointing but we still have the Mosaic set that includes Oleo. Sometimes I feel Mosaic gets overlooked when we all celebrate these Tone Poets as many of the titles were reissued in Mosaic boxes with mostly analogue sound
    Still no slight to the wonderful Tone Poets though

Bobby Buckshot, mpayan and Bradd like this.
  14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

The Latin Bit is a nice recording.

scotti likes this.
  15. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

When you check out the discount shows up (17.49).

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  16. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Yep, I was able to pick up all 4 for $75 shipped!

17. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I didn't care for that one either, but mainly because Ike Quebec's tone is annoying, rather whiny. Pass.

18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

How quickly does the uDiscover store typically restock the TPs? Would like to pick up Oblique while it's still on sale but it's sold out...

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

To each his own. I like Ike. I enjoy this LP quite a bit, and Blue and Sentimental is another great album from Ike and Grant to these ears.

20. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

They are screwy you could wait months. But who knows really

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Thanks. Wish Amazon would come back down. Don't think it started at 34, correct?

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One of my favorite MMJ titles in my collection! One of the ultimate "chill" records.

Greenmonster2420 and Crazysteve like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Bummer about Oleo but Nigeria is the album with Sonny I really wanted, I think that session is miles above oleo and gooden, so I’m ok with this. Especially because we’ll get the Latin Bit! That one is a blast and a little diffferent from all the other GGs we’ve gotten the last few years.

Bryce, Ronnieb, scotti and 1 other person like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Well it’s more of a mood album, I love it. I like Ike quite a bit, Sonny Clark too, so getting both of them with Grant Green is a slam dunk. But it’s more of a late night vibe for me. Same goes for Blue and Sentimental and Easy Living. I was pretty excited for Born to be Blue, I’d hunted down an 80s DMM previously and the TP is an improvement

scotti likes this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I am never one to argue a Grant Green record, just too big of a fan. But I'm going to disagree with you here. As much as I like Nigeria, I was looking more forward to "Oleo", of course same lineup minus the drums, but that is one mighty fine record!

With that said, going to fire up "Nigeria" later today. If I'm wrong about it not being as good as "Oleo", I will fess up tomorrow.

I also wanted to bring up what has to be the least selling of the Tone Poet titles, Casandra Wilson's "Glamoured". I will admit this is a record that is not for everyone (obviously) but if you have never heard any of it, stream Lay Lady Lay and Honey Bee, my two favorite songs from it. And what is really cool about this release from 2003, is that it's AAA.