'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

I own it & enjoy it a lot but I'm a Cassandra fan. Just like Don Cherry on a pocket cornet it ain't for everybody and doesn't need to be. Gotta find your own musical path.

scotti likes this.
  2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I wonder if we’ll see any Sonny Clark in this series. The quintessential BN pianist, at least for me, taking nothing away from such luminaries as Horace. His early death was such a tragedy.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If I may derail here for just a second...Anyone going after any of the Jazz Black Friday titles? The three key ones I noticed are the two Resonance ones, Bill Evans "Live At Ronnie Scott's", Sonny Rollins "In Holland" and the Herbie Hancock Trio, which was only released previously before on vinyl in Japan. I have a CD somewhere in my house of it, but I'm pretty sure it was on Wounded Bird, and if anyone has ever heard their releases, it's best to run for the hills. But it's from 1977 and a very stripped down affair with Ron Carter and Tony Williams.

I promised my wife I would only buy three titles this time, and since she wants "Masters Of Reality" and I want the BOC "Live 83" which is just an incredible performance if a fan, I am going with the Sonny Rollins. It's a 3 LP set of unreleased studio and radio performances that is a must have for this Rollins fan! It also comes with what looks to be a very awesome booklet.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Going after Bill Evans if I can get it.

scotti likes this.
  5. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'm finding SN Vinyl about the best consistent upon price @ £29.99 each release plus p&p at £4.50 if thats of help ...outside of that i've seen Amazon & HMV offer a few deals

6. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Going after Bill (Resonance always does good work) and Sonny. Love Herbie, but have had not so great luck with Get On Down titles, so going to wait for reviews and may try to pick that one up after the fact.

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I just chatted with Ron McMaster and he didn't remember this being a problem when he did the CD release. He recommended they ask for a copy of the Japanese tape. He says their tapes are in great shape.

Fractured, blutiga, Dai and 3 others like this.
  8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

After the white hot opening of Rollins’ “Airegin,” Nigeria becomes nothing but standards.

Some of you folks are easier to please than me, I guess. I’ve been listening to jazz so long that I want original compositions. Nigeria does start on fire but by Side 2 it puts me to sleep. Any release without a single original tune just tends to sit on the shelf. I’d rather listen to any vintage Horace Silver record for the thousandth time than hear Cole Porter or Gershwin covers.

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm with you on the Herbie, plus I have plenty of his records already and need more Rollins. I was going to get the Bill Evans, but not sure how often I would listen to it. I read a review that was recently posted that says the sound is a bit sharp and DeJonette's drums are a bit off of the rest of the playing (but still say it's well worth getting). Plus I plan on getting the two titles coming next year from the Verve Label Group. I will most likely regret not getting At Ronnie Scott's, but I'm not passing up on that Rollins.

And I kind of have to agree with @Tim1954 as I do like "Nigeria", it's not one of my go to Grant Green records, in fact I can't remember the last time I listened to it. But glad it's in my collection. No doubt "Airegin" is far and away the best song on it, and hey, there's that Sonny Rollins cat again that I have been raving about.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  10. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Going for the Rollins.
    Just ordered it and then hoping they will get it.
    That's how the record store doing it now (covid) so fingers crossed.
    It's a very expensive edition over here 60 Euro's (70 us?)
    But hey a part is recorded just around the corner at the Vara studios.
    And I love the live recordings made by the great American artists in Europe.
    Most of them sound brilliant.

Joti Cover and scotti like this.
  11. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Hey @scotti, you may like this (and you should get the Bill Evans!) :D

BendBound and scotti like this.
  12. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Wasn't Feelin' the Spirit also being considered? I realize it's also standards, but I prefer it over Oleo.

Craig's Story and scotti like this.
  13. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Oh come on now -- It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it!

Mugrug12 and Aeryn Sun like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's another one coming next year, and agree, it's a good one...scratch that, a real good one!

Craig's Story, blutiga and timzigs like this.
  15. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

Agree with @scotti about the Cassandra Wilson. It is like we say it in Dutch “a buitenbeentje” (don’t even try to pronaunch without breaking your tongue ;-)). The bass on this record is bone crushing and Cassandra’s voice brings you in outer space. It was my first TP and still enjoy it a lot.
    I would like to see a 90’s Dianne Reeves or 80’s Bobby McFerrin transferred into a TP release. Any suggestions here?

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You are wearing me down. I am trying so hard to control myself. Just got a new cartridge, $150 last week on records, RSD this Friday, and on top of that a AS holiday sale about to start. That's it. I'm going downstairs to listen to music, have a cold one and hopefully stay out of trouble. You folks just continue to buy more records while I prove to myself I can show self restraint.

Okay, its not fair, now I want that Bill Evans "At Ronnie Scott's"...

17. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

Better the kicker or oblique? I know undecided friends .....

18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Oblique without question for me--but if you're among those who prefer the less adventurous BNs, you might go the other way.

IanL, Gabe Walters and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  19. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

[QUOTE = "NorthNY Mark, post: 25484881, member: 20811"] Obliquo senza dubbio per me - ma se sei tra coloro che preferiscono i BN meno avventurosi, potresti andare dall'altra parte. [/ QUOTE]
    What do you mean? I wanted to take one but I'm undecided to choose ...

20. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

It may seem like splitting hairs to some, but to me a program of spirituals does not equate to 'standards', very different material IMHO, YMMV.

Good Vibes, timzigs and blutiga like this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, that's part of why I have the record.

The problem with Nigeria is not the covers but that it's ALL covers. Not a single original composition. Yawn.

22. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I dont get it. What are your thoughts on My Favorite Things played by John Coltrane?

23. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Bravo! A fine + enjoyable review.

24. "Oblique" - especially for those last two tracks.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

It's exceptional. And clearly Ertegun agreed, since it was released when it was recorded.

There are some gems in those sessions Lion passed on like Etc., but to see average sessions like The Kicker, Nigeria and Born To Be Blue reissued when there are prime titles which Lion did not pass on and which received a proper release at the time they were conceived isn't a concept I really follow. But it's Joe's baby and I buy them, so he must be doing plenty right.