'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I’m going to pretend this is the definitive opinion. I have waaaay too much Lee Morgan vinyl, mostly MMJ and some TP. Then there’s his omnipresence on Blakey and Jazz Messengers records. I love Morgan, but really don’t need another of his records unless it’s a standout.

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

So you’re saying you’re a “maybe” for the 12 LP Lighthouse set?

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

no such thing as too much Lee...or Mobley for that matter

4. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Wha....? I totally need 12 more Lee Morgan LPs. I’m planning a “Morganathon” that I’m hoping will last an entire week, nonstop. 12 more LPs will get me where I need to be.

Mugrug12, trd, Craig's Story and 4 others like this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Saying you have too much Lee Morgan on vinyl is like saying you have too much success.

6. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Totally agree - 15 Lee Morgan records here - looking forward to picking up some more.

7. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

Well it’s probably a matter of taste but The Rajah has always been a favorite of mine. Have to admit it took a few listens. But I’ll pass on the TP as my Japanese SHM sounds fine. There is more music I want to spend my 40 euros on.

kt66brooklyn and scotti like this.
  8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

My first Lee Morgan album was Tom Cat, then Search for the New Land and then Sidewinder from MMJ. With TP I added Cornbread and The Cooker. I still need to l stream Rajah on a few walks (which of course won't do it justice). I will likely add a few TPs in February as I play catch up. Rajah may be one of them (also probable: Bass on Top, The Waiting Game, Byrd in Flight and It's Time).

It's a time of gratitude for all this amazing jazz being done at affordable prices.

I'm sure I should just add them all right?!

mktracy, mpayan, Dignan2000 and 4 others like this.
  9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Any word on when we'll hear (offically) what's coming in 2021?

10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I think we are still at a point where its impossible to say that the release schedule will be 100% waterproof until the end of the year. My first thought would be why dont they manufacture everything 2 months ahead and start with the schedule later (april for example), but then the biggest problem is probably storage - where would they storage all these records for 1,5 months before the release date? If I assume correct, they must be producing at least 5 000 copies of each Tone Poet in the initial run. And those records take a lot of space.

If I look at what is happening here locally, the small and not so small bands just release stuff, there is no "release schedule", vinyl pressings just appear on the record store shelves and that creates even more hype and demand for the product - you know, the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). But I also understand that pre-orders must be an important milestone for labels and record stores, so a precise schedule has its role to play.

mikemoon and mackeyse like this.
  11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think a tentative schedule is fine. No one should be upset with delays. I just like to know what is upcoming so I can familiarize myself with the title and/or not purchase some other version (which is less likely).

This is kind of the same thing I'd like to see with the Ume-Acoustic Sounds series.

I'm being patient. I have enough records to keep me happy in the meantime.

12. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I get what you mean, I'm holding off on a couple of titles 'just in case'. Really looking forward to this thread coming alive again!

mikemoon likes this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

A wealth of information here, especially for someone like me who is somewhat of a jazz novice but my appreciation runs deep for the art as I gradually get to know it better.

Swann36, Elofan, Queezma and 2 others like this.
  14. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Do BN80/Classic and TP people follow these threads? If they do, please we really need (well I do):

Inner Urge
    Night Dreamer
    Roll Call
    Juju

and plenty more but those are so essential and missing...

mktracy and kt66brooklyn like this.
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i bet we will get those, along with most of the 75th series that wasnt very well received. I have a feeling BNC series will be lasting many years...

mktracy and kt66brooklyn like this.
  16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Classic Series will hopefully address most of these. JuJu is my favorite Wayne album and Inner Urge my favorite Joe album, and i agree. Also let's add Free for All on this list. I get that Moanin is more in demand, but Free For All should be next.

mktracy and mackeyse like this.
  17. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Stoughton Printing recently posted about a COVID outbreak in their finishing department. Read the post here --> Old Style Record Jackets

This might affect releases of upcoming Tone Poets, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor thing. Hope those affected at Stoughton make a full recovery.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Damn disease. I hope those folks are ok.

Vic Trola, astro70, Elofan and 10 others like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Man, I like Rajah.

Hank and AFA like this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And then there was the 2008, "I Can See Russia From My House!"

22. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Just had an email from amazon UK saying the Rajah us delayed till the 23rd Feb. They just delayed my pre-order of black coffee in the AS series to the same date.

23. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

My birthday, I've already bought myself Lush Life one step. Seems rude not to pick these up as a treat too! Hahaha.

Swann36 and mikemoon like this.
  24. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Would be rude not to as they moved the date to your birthday:D

Hardiman likes this.
  25. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I'm putting out a last ditch prediction of Lee Morgan - City Lights.

Then praying I'm right!