'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. I use a spin clean on all of my records and I do not recall seeing any marks left behind. I am very cautious about placing the record between the two pads and try to do it slowly and carefully. Same with removing the record!

Bill Why Man likes this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just listened to Contours. What an awesome pick for Tone Poet to release. It's adventurous, exotic, colorful. I've pretty much decided Freddie Hubbard has my favorite trumpet tone ever. It's so full and vibrant and rich, and as a trumpet player myself it's the tone I'd die to have. Sam is such a unique and creative player. I agree with @Josquin des Prez that Tony Williams would've been perfect for this session, but Chambers does an admirable job.

Slam dunk, no brainer purchase.

Jimbo912, Bryce, Dmann201 and 7 others like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Picked up Contours from a local shop yesterday. One listen so far, but I'm impressed. Not the sort of album you absorb in one listen either...

Joti Cover, AnalogJ, Bryce and 3 others like this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Get the Impulse of Oliver Nelson's The Blues and The Abstract Truth. Freddie is great (and so is everyone else). The AP 45 RPM is fantastic.

AnalogJ, Bryce, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

If you don't have Contrasts on ECM, you should. It highlights his playing and all tracks are his compositions.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Damn, too bad that's OOP. That's a killer lineup.

7. Josquin des Prez

Keep an eye out for it used. It's one of the great jazz albums of the 60s. A true classic.

danasgoodstuff and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That is a incredible sounding version! I got really lucky and got a new numbered copy off Ebay for $64 late last year...good luck finding it still sealed for under $120 or so now. One of my all time favorite albums! Keep an eye on Ebay though as it pops up every now and then at a decent price, I kept looking and it paid off.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Contours" arrived yesterday... Another home run from @Joe Harley, Kevin Gray, and the Blue Note team at Ume.

This is a very high quality product, offered at a bargain price. I look forward to purchasing a lot more titles in this series.

10. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Just bought a copy on discogs. I'll let you know how I like it.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, or keep an eye out for a copy of the Speaker's Corner version it's great to for those who prefer 33 1/3.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

FYI: Speakers Corner used 2nd generation tapes for the Impulse reissues. They normally use 1st gen tapes, but for some reason they couldn't for the Impulse.

13. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

And the 1st generation masters were burned up in the 2008 Universal vault fire, so AP had to use 2nd gen or later sources (but still AAA).

AnalogJ and MisterBritt like this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

Hmmm...I was told AP used a different tape than Speakers Corner. I need to call Nate at AS tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask him again.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

They could have both used different tapes but both could have been 2nd gen. We don’t know.

MisterBritt likes this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

The AP reissue is 2009, so I suppose it's possible they had the 1st gen master prior to the fire. Nate will know for sure. I'll ask him tomorrow.

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

the speaker's corner version came out in 2003. (doesn't mean it wasn't a 2nd gen tape, but it was long before the fire)
    my copy sounds fantastic. The AP version will likely get repressed, when that happens, it's the
    most affordable way to get a really nice mint version, unless to fall into a 2nd hand copy.
    those interested should keep an eye on Acoustic Sounds.

scotti and Josquin des Prez like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

Have you heard the AP 45? I am curious to know how they differ.

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

not on the same system, my pal who has a much better TT than mine (Brinkmann bardo, 12" reference arm, tube power supply) he has a copy,
    it's really open, but my preference is not to flip as much if possible.

20. Josquin des Prez

I like 33s too, but the AP 45 is just sooo good. :)

SoundDoctor and scotti like this.
  21. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

In theory it shouldn't matter how fast/slow you insert/remove the record. The brushes shouldn't be able to scratch the record no matter what, so I'm not sure what happened with mine. I probably won't use the spin clean on Contours when I receive it.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Contrasts" is a fantastic album. You'll dig it.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ha ha. I knew I can't really trust amazon.ca. My copy shipped today :)

24. I agree but again I’m just really cautious!

25. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Listened to Contours over the weekend. Really great @Joe Harley , thanks for including this in your run. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I never listened to Sam Rivers before, and love this album. The looseness and space in the improvisations suck me in.