'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Just Shazam the tunes.

trd likes this.
  2. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered Andrew Hill’s Passing Ships Tone Poet.

It is a two-record album, so the price is higher. Looking forward to it.

The other Tone Poet due in May is Dexter Gordon’s One Flight Up.

I have the Heavenly Sweetness reissue, which is excellent, so didn’t pre-order this one.

It’s a great album though. Don’t miss it!

3. Is Passing Ships a 3-side album?

trd likes this.
  4. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Yes it is :)

trd likes this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Yes. Looking forward to this one most of all! Vinyl premier for this music I think?

6. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I can’t wait to get it. I love Andrew Hill and I can’t wait for the Tone Poet. I consider this a gift.

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My wait will be even longer as I am now starting to feel the spell that has been cast with the arrival of Katanga! and The Witch Doctor. Just gets me in the mood to fire up Jimi's "Voodoo Child" as I admire the covers of those 6/4 releases.

Within a 29 day span we get those two classics, plus One Flight Up, Passing Ships, Out Of The Cool, and Genius + Soul = Jazz. Scotty, you need to just calm down now, easy I say. Just keep repeating, they are only records, they are only records. Oh yeah, that's why I'm so excited!!!

Dmann201, Ronnieb, Dignan2000 and 8 others like this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Aegir and Dmann201 like this.
  9. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah that's the BN80. While I can't hear any of the pitch/flutter issues people discuss, this one has gotten a lot of flack for that. To me though, it just sounds like another incredibly mastered Kevin Gray Blue Note record with great dynamics and wonderfully clear SQ. One of my favorite Herbie albums.

10. Worst W&F of the bunch to my ears. “A Jump Ahead” in particular is a complete train wreck if you are susceptible to pitch fluctuations.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Even I can notice the issues with that one...

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Ugh. I'm hoping since I have no other copies of this album and therefore no point of reference it might not be as noticeable to me. Fun experiment nonetheless.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

dasacco likes this.
  14. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

You may be like me, @dasacco ... able to hear the issue but not usually troubled by it. I love this issue of Inventions & Dimensions. Just as people have varying abilities to hear the issue, those that do hear it vary in the degree to which it bothers them.

15. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Save your dosh and find a Heavenly Sweetness copy. I have both and can only play the HS for the same reason outlined by Greenmonster2420

Edit: no need to comment Mazzy:winkgrin:

16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

17. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Why are we discussing BN80 and the wow & flutter issue in the Tone Poet thread?

18. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Because the warble wars cover much territory... a bit like Highlander.

Or maybe, like I do sometimes, the OP forgot which thread they were on :laugh:... and once that blue touch paper has been lit...

The important thing is Inventions & Dimensions is a fantastic album, unique in the Blue Note catalogue and possibly unique full stop, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has mixed free-improvish, serialist-influenced piano and Latin rhythms.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Aeryn Sun, Patanoia and Crazysteve like this.
  19. Crazysteve

There are so many great Herbie records. Personally, Inventions & Dimensions is in my top 3, along with Head Hunters and, depending on the day, either Maiden Voyage/Speak Like a Child/Empyrean Isles.

Kimiimacman, Aegir, Dai and 1 other person like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said sir! How can you not like the great Mr. Hancock, legend written all over him. And why oh why am I the only one that likes the ST to Blow-Up here...with Henderson, Hubbard, and more, this is one ultra cool record.

21. Crazysteve

That one’s great, and I love a lot of his ‘70’s stuff. It’s tough to make it into a top three Herbie Hancock list, which is why I had five titles.:)

trd likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

As I wait for the next round, more dragging out old library items is on the menu....

Great piano trio from Mal Waldron, with Addison Farmer and Al Heath.

[​IMG]

23. Dartman

Dartman Stones Fan

Hopefully things settle down, Herbie Hancock is slated to head up the Detroit Jazz Festival this year.

Aura, scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  24. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

Sorry for digression!
    Do you have info on the differences between the 1984 Victor and the Victor version from 1974?
    Thanks!

25. Crazysteve

I didn’t give this record enough time when it came, playing it once. I knew I’d come back to it and today is the day. This is right there as probably my favorite Jimmy Smith record after spinning it back to back. Stanley Turrentine as a side man is an album saver in so many cases, much like Kenny Burrell is.
    I think I came in expecting funky when I had my first listen, at least Funk along the lines of many other Jimmy Smith records. But this is much smoother.
    Covid put me into a listening mode for the next week so I’m excited to see what other records I rediscover. There are going to be a lot of records played in my hut from here until next Wednesday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Geee!, Spazros, Twinsfan007 and 20 others like this.