Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. BuutyChin

BuutyChin Well-Known Member

Love For Sale has been nominated for 6 Grammy's announced earlier during the Grammy livestream.

- “Love For Sale” is nominated for Album Of The Year.

- “I Get A Kick Out Of You” is nominated for Record Of The Year.

- “Love For Sale” is nominated for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album.

- “I Get A Kick Out Of You” is nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

- “I Get A Kick Out Of You” is nominated for Best Music Video.

- Nominated for Best Engineered Album (Non-Classical).

mikedifr0923 and paulmock like this.
  2. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

BuutyChin and paulmock like this.
  3. BuutyChin

It was a great performance too that note Tony held at the end he's never lost "it"

4. BuutyChin

Wow, what a show a wonderful tribute to a once in a lifetime singer. I in particular enjoyed the performance(s) of:

Lady Gaga: Orange Colored Sky
    Let's Do It

Tony Bennett: Watch What Happens
    Fly Me to the Moon
    San Francisco

I thought the performance of Love for Sale was great in particular and was kinda surprised to see it. But what more could you ask a loving tribute and showing for a Music legend

5. BuutyChin

6. Nick Taurus

Nick Taurus New Member

Hi!
    Is there any chance to listen to Rarities, Outtakes & Other Delights, Vol. 6 online or to download it?
    I went to the page linked, but all available links are "expired"

paulmock and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Calling @scoredaddy ?

paulmock and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I want to know if one day they will look for it and, if they find it, release most of these recordings:

Date: January 15, 1968

Tony Bennett (ldr), Torrie Zito (con), Walt Levinsky, Romeo Penque, Sol Schlinger, Joe Soldo, Bobby Tricarico (r), Bert Collins, Al De Risi, Johnny Frosk, Bernie Glow (t), Sy Berger, Urbie Green, Dick Hixson, Fred Zito (tb), Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), John Bunch (p), Corky Hale (hrp), Charles McCraken, Harvey Shapiro, Alan Shulman, Tony Sophos (vc), Sol Gubin (d), Phil Kraus (per), Julius Brand, Fred Buldrini, Max Cahn, Norman Carr, Paul Gershman, Harry Glickman, Mannie Green, Joe Malin, George Ockner, John Pintavalle, Max Polikoff, Matthew Raimondi, Aaron Rosand, Tosha Samoroff, Julius Schachter, Gerald Tarack (vn), Al Brown, Leon Frengut, David Schwartz, Emanuel Vardi (vl), Tony Bennett, Dominic Germano (v)

a. CO 92409 The Glory Of Love - 2:42 (Billy Hill) / arr: Torrie Zito
    CBS 45: 3370 (1968)
    Columbia 45: 4-44443 (1968)
    b. CO 92410 I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) (Doc Dougherty, Ellis Reynolds, Allen J. Neiburg) / arr: Torrie Zito
    c. CO 92411 When It's Sleepy Time Down South (Otis Rene, Clarence Muse, Leon Rene) / arr: Torrie Zito
    d. CO 92412 Old Folks (Willard Robison, Dedette Hill) / arr: Torrie Zito

Date: January 18, 1968

Tony Bennett (ldr), Tony Bennett, Dominic Germano (v)

a. CO 92413 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter (Joe Young, Fred E. Ahlert)
    b. CO 92414 Just A Gigolo (Irving Caesar, Leonello Casucci, Julius Brammer)
    c. CO 92415 It Don't Mean A Thing (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills)
    d. CO 92416 Easy Street (Cojane, Carlton)

9. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

maybe after the new year. i'm away from home at the moment

Artur Torres, Bob F and paulmock like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That makes many of us sentimental about the old days, when we went outside of our homes.

I would also like to complete the set of "the rest of Tony" that you compiled all those years ago.

May the New Year actually be new for you and for everyone!

11. BuutyChin

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To be frankly honest, I played their "new" album twice and it's remained on the shelf ever since. I do hope that Tony gets at least one m0re Grammy.

roda12 likes this.
  13. BuutyChin

I feel you, hopefully he gets the recognition he deserves

14. BuutyChin

The tribute by Gaga was nice she sang Love For Sale and Do I Love You, she was led in by a pre recorded intro from Tony, During the performance the screens behind her played clips of them together throughout the years.

Love For Sale only snagged 2 Grammys out of the 6 they were nominated for

Best Traditional Pop Vocal
    Best Engineered Non Classical

Was pretty touching

15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Lots of Bennett fans here, obviously. Anyone familiar with the "Artistry of" series? There's a 40-year version (4 CDs issued in 1991 and 1997), a 50-year version (5 CDs issued in 2004), and a 60-year version (6 CDs, possibly download only). I was wondering if any of the earlier songs (i.e., those in the 1991 40-year version) were remastered for the later versions. My experience is that an earlier version of a CD often sounds better than the later version(s), though at least with the Robert Johnson set Sony has done an increasingly better job. Some have indicated they thought there was some remixing of the originals, but I'm more interested in SQ.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  16. DJMayor

DJMayor Well-Known Member

Today I decided to bite the bullet and buy it from my local B&N. It’s been there for years and never sold . List $399. Well, it was 50% off and with my member discount it came to $179! I couldn’t believe it. Can’t wait to listen to it!!

17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

even at $400 its a bargain for the quality of music within, so you got a super bargain.

colormesinatra and audiomixer like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wonder how many copies exist in the State of Alaska

Superb deal that you got!

colormesinatra likes this.
  19. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

Damn. Great deal! I woulda spent that. It's a MILLION Dollars over at Amazon... well, not that much, but one turd wants $2,000.000 for it brand new.
    A friend of mine grabbed it on sale online at B&N a few years back for around the same price. He ripped me the whole set as flac.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Isn't it still available on Barnes & Noble?

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

GOOD GOING! Congratulations.

colormesinatra likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe there are other B&N stores trying to clear it at 50% off.

Worth checking.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was told years ago that the set was "too heavy a carry" monetarily to be sitting on store shelves taking up valuable space. Stores sent their copies back to be sold strictly online. Methinks this was simply an overlooked in stock item after all these years. Plus, there was to be no additional savings such as coupons, etc. on the set as it was B&N exclusive item. I think our friend @DJMayor just plain got really lucky!!!! We are all salivating at his success!:edthumbs:

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was one sitting in my local B&N last Christmas. I have not been there since, as I go to a mall maybe every two years.

I got mine in the first year of release at that store, and used various deals and discounts to get it for $200. Everytime B&N issued coupons and member specials, the data processing seemed to work differently as to what it may be applied to. Sometimes the Tony set was excluded from discounts, sometimes it worked. I helped another friend get a great deal during the next year as well by checking eligibility.

These were always on the display shelf behind the cashier, where there was plenty of space containing high priced items.

paulmock likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member