Tool Planning to Remaster and Reissue All of their Albums for Vinyl Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PJJK, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Was it an afterthought? There are at least 5 different colored versions:

Puscifer - Existential Reckoning

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Coloured vinyl is just a gimmick, fairly easy for them to ask the pressing plant to do a few colours variants. The point is that they’re not putting many $’s into it. And I just checked, it’s been pressed by Hand Drawn Pressing plant so you can pretty much guess this will be a crapshoot. So they basically picked the cheapest pressing plant and mastering facility but you’re happy cos they did some in pretty colours? Even a lot of bootlegs are done in coloured pressing, it’s honestly not that difficult or expensive. I’ve never even heard of Hand Drawn pressing plant, probably even cheaper than United?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

"Tool planning to..." should get you an eyeroll every time.

4. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I’ve got a sealed first press of Aenima that I’ve had for almost 20... I’ve been holding off spinning it waiting for a repress but my patience is running out...

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Went over to my buddy's place for New Years for some gaming and drinking. He spun his 2xLP 10,000 Days bootleg pressing (blue vinyl). I was quite stunned by the sound of it, it actually sounded great. Better SQ than the clipped-out CD.

6. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Hand Drawn is based in Dallas and is one of the newer "state of the art" fully automated pressing plants. Since you've "never even heard of" them, not sure a "pretty much guess" of their quality is totally fair.

Admerr likes this.
  7. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I had no idea a pressing plant opened in Dallas. Thanks for the heads up.

8. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

I suspect the counterfeit vinyl pressing is likely sourced from the CD.

aphexj, seasonsinthesky, Pim and 2 others like this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Of course it is.

10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I am also starting to think this will be the route they take. A deluxe edition of each album. I started thinking it would be one box set for everything, but I am thinking this is not the way they will go now. Probably looking at an 8 or 10 LP set for Lateralus. Including artwork from Alex Grey, a full live show and assorted oddities from that era. Also there will probably be a regular edition for each, just a remastered edition of the album itself, I think I'd be in for deluxe editions of each personally. Of course, we may get nadda, zip, nothing.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Keep dreaming!

12. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

We know shows from the Lateralus tour were recorded, I'm sure other tours were also, Saliva proves that, so no reason they couldn't release live content, other than it's Tool and they just choose not to.

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

14. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

They ain’t doin sh1t!

I’ll be surprised if they even ever release another album!

James Bennett likes this.
  15. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I'd love for you to be proven right. But the big difference between the two bands is that the Metallica organisation is very effective at releasing a steady stream of 'product' (music as well as merch), and Tool's operation... isn't.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I don't think we'll see another Tool product anytime soon to be honest. I'd be very happy if they just put out one of the 10.000 Days shows (I think they recorded some shows back then?) on BluRay with a nice 5.1 mix. Maybe add a "visuals-only" version as well.

17. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

The last 6 shows of the Lateralus tour were professionally filmed. Would be nice if a cool Blu-ray of that could come out. Would be awesome, but it is Tool... so probably won't LOL.

Stormrider77 and seasonsinthesky like this.
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This announcement about planned Tool reissues reminds me of the time when the Mars Volta threw their toys out of the pram over the Music on Vinyl reissues in ?2014 and said they were going to have their own reissues out soon. 2021 now and nothing still....:laughup:

19. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

At some point TOOL will need LOOT. Then we will see something from them to sell us.

20. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Do you honestly think any of them are hurting financially?

21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Living the life they live you can always use more LOOT. Gotta refill the coffers.

22. JackAbsolut

JackAbsolut Forum Resident

What do you guys make out of Sylvia Massy‘s latest instagram post with a picture of a lot of TOOL tapes / DAT tapes / master tapes.

Is she selling them? Is this a hint?

I don‘t quite get it.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  24. JackAbsolut

JackAbsolut Forum Resident

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I guess she's finished archiving and sorting them out for selling on her online shop. I wouldn't read too much into it.