Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, I don't intend it that way, but, for those complaining about the $45 price, let me just play Devil's advocate for a minute:

Even if the screen is a bit gimmicky , there only ends up being, say, 6 videos in total, and you only watch them a few times each, for $45, realistically, people commuting to Manhattan likely spend that on Starbucks for a week. I personally don't like Starbucks, so, OK, let's shift that to a bar....That's a handful of drinks at the bar, or, a bottle of Whiskey at home.

I'm not judging whether $45 is or isn't a lot of money, I'm simply saying that a 13 year wait for what is likely their final album, plus the fact that Tool always make investing in the experience worthwhile for their fans, makes that price RELATIVELY reasonable for what is being delivered.

2. mp29k

mp29k Forum Resident

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

What a bizarre marketing decision if they’re only this digitally and the limited edition CD.

Another thing, those smarter.it links are really annoying that the don’t list where to buy in FLAC and High Res.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Which means that Amazon might follow suit. Amazon always lists items initially for list price, and then adjust to the market accordingly.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

just curious....where did you find this odd pre order option? good joke though!

6. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I’m thinking this is partially true but Tool knows their fans will eat up their physical output regardless. I’m (optimistically) guessing they’re putting in the proper care and attention to detail on the vinyl release. They might also be in line at one of the pressing plants which can only add to the delay.

Based on Adam’s input on the forum a few years ago, it appears they’re being very careful with the details on the future vinyl repress of the back catalog. I can only imagine the same care will go into their new record

Chrome_Head and scotti like this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah Amazon will undoubtedly have it for cheapest when all is said and done. If I were to bet I'd be willing to guess it lands around $30 before release date.

8. MechanicalAnimal6

7 actual songs with music, 3 interludes to make 10 actual tracks on the album

9. MechanicalAnimal6

I couldn't agree more....all the people complaining about the price are just flat out silly....it's not really THAT much for what you're getting.
    People expect everything to just be so cheap for them, yet they like to waste money on $6 crappy coffee....how does that make sense?
    fools...

Hattipper, Dmann201, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Agree as well...let me add that I bought 6 of the MMJ SRX titles this year and paid $59.95 per (a bit much mind you, but I love good sounding Jazz)...If this was say another $20 or $30, then I might question it. I will be waiting at my local store on street date for this one. I will add that I got a grin from "MechanicalAnimal6" talking about what some spend on their coffee, must be why I make mine at home...

Dmann201 and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Very true, especially when you consider the deluge of special edition boxsets being released around a single re-released album from similar bands of their era.
    At least they didn't require me to spend $180 for four pieces of vinyl I can't play just to get a bluray!

That said, I am slightly disappointed, in the sense that I was really hoping for some form of 5.1 release with this one!

elee532, tedhead, Hattipper and 2 others like this.
  12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I work from home, so, yes, the coffee definitely gets made here, as well. Tool making it very difficult to focus this morning, however!

musictoad, Chrome_Head and scotti like this.
  13. Rosscoger

Rosscoger Forum Resident

Where do you stand on Amazon charging £77.60 in the UK or 100 euros in Germany:mad::cry:

RichardG likes this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Maybe the MP3 mention is just standard lingo for digital download and multiple options will be available for those who like to stare at waveforms and DR ratings to decide if something sounds good or not.

snipe likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Now that does bite! I feel sorry for what fellow music fans across the pond have to pay sometimes...

16. Rosscoger

Rosscoger Forum Resident

Hopefully it comes down a bit before release date...but I'm not holding my breath!

scotti likes this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

That definitely does sting. I've imported my fair share of King Crimson and Porcupine Tree discs from the UK over the years, but, that certainly does feel excessive.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. MechanicalAnimal6

There should be a regular cd version, vinyl as well as the two options only being offered so far, but i am in no way mad about this option, with all the cool stuff we get,
    and how long of a wait it's been. Plus as others have said, the price will most likely go down....some have said as low as $37....how can you honestly complain and whine
    about $37 for all that you get??? Just flat out silly...

i am shocked a blu ray 5.1 option isn't being offered as well...

Hattipper likes this.
  19. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I agree it’s the right price for what you’re getting — probably a little cheaper than I’d assume for an HD screen, actually.

My issue is that I don’t want that stuff. I just want a CD.

MikeMig, pexie and cdollaz like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

DR 9

obi, EVOLVIST and seastman like this.
  21. MechanicalAnimal6

perhaps the japanese import will be just a regular cd....guess we'll just have to be more patient and see later in the month. :)

22. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Ugh no vinyl? :disgust:

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The "isn't my entire CD of music that you can listen to over and over forever worth one cup of coffee??" is an argument that struggling musicians have been using (unsuccessfully) for over a decade now.

FACT: In 2019, the vast majority of Americans have no issue dropping $5 a day on coffee, but anything more than $10 a month to access the entire history of recorded music on their phone is unthinkable.

Tool is probably smarter than most, and understand that the Spotify crowd won't drop $10 or even $5 on a physical CD anymore.... whereas their ravenous fanbase will buy a CD at ANY price just to have physical product. So they price the CD at $45, knowing they'll lose maybe 10% of the possible "physical product" buyers but they'll get 5X the profit from the rest. Meanwhile, the streaming audience that wasn't gonna buy a CD anyway (no matter what the cost) still gets to listen to the album come release day.

pexie, Chrome_Head and xfilian like this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

They did not "price a CD at $45." You are getting a 4-inch, HD screen with speakers along with the CD. There's no conspiracy here. I am guessing they made this the only physical release in order to bring the price down, actually. They probably got a cheaper BOM for increasing production.

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks, a lot better than I thought it would be.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.