Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I saw Tool twice over the weekend.

First night they played almost all of Fear Innoculum (only missing culling voices). Descending was an amazing ride, 7empest didn't impress me on the album and I felt the same way about it live, Pneuma is one of the bands best live songs and the show that goes with it is out of this world. Aenima was placed at 1.5x speed which was different. The new album works well in a live setting, Danny plays 3-4 different things at once at times. The only real let down was the sound which was far too bass heavy where I was sitting. Night one was all about "watching the show" from the back of the arena. The band were in great spirits this night and seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

On night two I was much closer and thankfully the sound was better. Maynard's voice was impressive given his age (It was hard to hear on the first night). I could watch Danny play for hours and the dynamics of his playing translated well to the arena. CCT was much different on night 2, almost a jazz fusion thing as opposed to the much more typical drum solo on night 1. A few songs were subbed out, however I was slightly disappointed they didn't play the pot (they always miss this off the setlist when in NZ) or swamp song.

Interestingly Adam has equipment problems both nights, his wah pedal quit on him on the first night.

I have seen the band 6 times since 2002 and this was as good as they have ever been. If you are on the fence because you aren't a fan of the new album, the songs translate very well live and it's a great show.

2. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Saw them a fortnight ago, great show!

Nothing will touch the ‘Lateralus Preliminary Tour’ they did in Sydney nearly 20 years ago, but after missing their last two tours (due to them not having any new material), I am very glad I went.

near flawless show. In fact, the only thing that was a slight disappointment was Maynard no longer ‘Going for it’ vocally at the end of Vicarious.

go and see them, I can’t see how anyone could be disappointed.

Billy_Sunday and DrZhivago like this.
  3. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

I was there on Friday, superb show. Agree on 7empest, but the rest of FI was incredible. Now that you mention it, parts of the vocals and guitar were less than flawless - perhaps stands out even more when the vast majority of the performance is so tight.
    FWIW The Pot did feature at 2007 BDO - though much prefer to see them in the arena setting than the stadium.

Billy_Sunday and Alternative4 like this.
  4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Hearing 7empest live was one of the highlights for me.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Jeez....when are they going to announce some Euro shows...

M2225 likes this.
  6. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

TEMPEST just isn't that *great* of a song. It's good, but not great. They went a little self-indulgent on that one. Self-indulgence is the main weakness of FI.

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Most of my friends who are Tool fans told me that's their favorite track.

8. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Yeah, a lot of people like it, and a lot of people were let down by it after hearing about how good it was supposed to be.
    Not great lyrics and just so much meandering, guh!
    Same as the middle of Invincible: it's almost laughably excessive ha ha.
    Don't get me wrong, still a big TOOL fan and all.

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  9. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

I think they just looked at the track times and picked the longest song. Almost every song on the album, and particularly 7empest, would be improved with liberal trimming. I like Tool so I can enjoy the material but it just feels like a long series of worn out Tool-isms.

scarfaceclaw and Boswell like this.
  10. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure Maynard has hinted that he feels the same way in some of the FI related interviews he's done.

11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

David Bottrill and Sylvia Massy were meeting in November, and stated they couldn't talk about what they were doing. Add that to what Adam said about original people working on the remaster/reissues. Seems to me work continues behind the scene. My bet is Fear Innoculum is only going to be available in the complete album remastered box set. You want FI buy them all. My other guess is digital box including Blu Ray 5.1 mixes and a seperate vinyl box, again, you want one thing you have to buy all. I drool at the thought of a well done 5.1 Disposition/Reflection/Triad.

jeffreybh and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If that's the case, they're gonna price me out of it. I really only want Lateralus and FI. Guess we'll see...

Tony-A likes this.
  13. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

7empest grew on me the most from FI. It was ok the first time I heard it, but I like it a lot more now. Maybe because it's 15 minutes of music to digest.

I'm a BRAND NEW Tool fan. FI is easily my favorite, but I finally played AEnima the other week, and the whole 'Tool Thing' makes a lot more sense now. Great band overall. I finally 'get it.'

14. Chrome_Head

Yeah, I'm sure "7empest" will grow on me as well. I do wish they'd played it live when I saw them. I'm giving Fear Inoculum the album a little break for a bit.

Where are you going next in your Tool listening? Sounds like you're ready for Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Just be sure not to miss Undertow.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  15. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I just listened to this album for the first time since November. (Was trying to keep it fresh for the vinyl, which I thought was gonna drop around Xmas...) Anyway, four months since last listen and I love it even more than the last time I heard it. Really phenomenal effort. If only this came out in 2011 and we were talking about album six right now...

16. Lord Summerisle

I would go back to Undertow/Opiate and work my way up.

17. Chrome_Head

I'd say the same, except he's already started with AEnima and FI--he may as well go on to Lateralus.

18. Alternative4

7emptest comes across, to me anyway, as Tool trying too hard to be Tool. For that reason a lot of people like it. It's also the most accessible song, most familiar. People seem, in NZ at least, to only associate Tool with heavy angry music and 7empest is the song on the album which fits that bill.

Descending and Invincible to me (a prog fan) are far more rewarding listens, but take longer to appreciate. They are also far more dynamic, something which I think 7empest lacks.

19. Alternative4

Maynard seems to be less involved in song writing than he did during earlier albums. I wonder if he kept songs much more focused, offered suggestions and cut bits out. His solo output is certainly much tighter in terms of track lengths and I'm not sure he is into prog like the rest of the band.

Boswell likes this.
  20. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I think you're right. They definitely need a producer type, some kind of objectivity, and Maynard's mix of acerbic wit and sarcasm and awareness is a tool (cough) they should go to more. Their process is interesting and, obviously it works, but they could have used some feedback.
    Having said this, I cranked TEMPEST when I woke this morning and enjoyed the hell out of it! I think, for sheer excessiveness, the middle section of INVINCIBLE takes the cake.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Funny, that section is one of my favorites on the entire album! :)

Billy_Sunday and Lord Summerisle like this.
  22. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Hey, I said it was excessive, I didn't say I didn't like it :)

I think that section would have landed a bit more effectively with me if they hadn't already kinda done it on 10,000 Days' JAMBI.

dave-tx likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Early Record Store Day 2020 lists are leaking, and unsurprisingly no Fear Inoculum RSD release like many kept speculating there would be.

eric777 likes this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Would never happen

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. Lord Summerisle

Same here, I love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.