Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Good! You know that an RSD release would be a scalper's dream.

2. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident

Well it’s finally happening for me. Been a fan for years but have never considered it remotely possible to see tool live. April I will venture to Quebec City to see them. Going through a terrible personal crisis currently but the thought of seeing them maybe for the only time warms my heart.

3. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...finally caved and got the book edition last month. I’d say it’s worth the $30 price tag. Nice quality all around.

4. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

40 years ago I had people telling me I preferred Won't Get Fooled Again because it was the longest thing on Who's Next...now I have people saying the same about 7empest.

:shrug:

WithinYourReach likes this.
  5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Jeez. Just admit it. You like long songs.:laugh:

6. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

Why would Tool record FI analog if they weren't going to release it on vinyl? I'm sure it's coming at some point.

Also, what would Bottrill and Massy have to do with vinyl reissues? Where did you read this? Wouldn't that concern masterers if they're indeed looking to reissue their albums on vinyl and not the prodcers? Maybe there's some b-sides, alt. versions, or remixes they're involved with.

Hope you're right about 5.1 versions. Simon Heyworth would be an excellent choice as mixer.

7. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Preference. They tracked to analog tape, but then transferred to a digital workstation for editing, effects, and mixing. No AAA release possible for FI. Only something like:
    A/D-A/D-A
    Or
    ADA
    Or
    A-A/D-A

JediJoker and Overfloater8 like this.
  8. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

More interest in my comment than I thought. Here's an expanded version:

Love metal (NIN is favorite band). Never listened much to Tool. Heard a few songs years ago and they just never resonated with me. I like a lot of the Perfect Circle catalog, and thought Eat the Elephant was fantastic. When FI came out, I grabbed the first track from iTunes on a whim (hey, it was only $1.29). The song was OK, but I loved the way it SOUNDED. Grabbed the full download of the album when it was released. Listened on a few long bike rides. It grew and grew on me until it became one of the best albums I'd ever heard. I still listen to it a couple times a week.

I worked backwards on the Tool catalog, so have spent a lot of time with 10,000 Days and Lateralus since last fall. I like them both a great deal (neither as much as FI). So, I finally grabbed Aenima a few weeks ago. I didn't realize Stinkfist and Aenima were even Tool songs...I'd heard a little of each of them before, simply from existing in modern society. I don't have much to say at this point. If you 'get' Tool then it all falls into place. I'll move onto Undertow soon. No rush. I like to spend time with stuff.

9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Really? Can you expand?

I'm still on the fence. Pictures on Amazon don't make it look great and I'm not really impressed by some silly pictures of aliens, so still feeling its £32 for a single CD.

10. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

They didn't. It ran through tape on the way into Pro Tools, same as they've done since at least Lateralus.

Massy posted a video on Instagram of her and Bottrill. Obviously it's just speculation for now, though.

11. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...well, if you’re not into the art then it’s probably not going to be worth it to you. :shrug:
    The books cover, binding, pages and the art cards are all high quality. No cheepnis (Zappa reference anyone :D) here.

pablorkcz and Adam Bosman like this.
  12. Skip Scuffmarks

Skip Scuffmarks Forum Resident

These “affordable CD” comments are comical. Just download the audio and burn it to a CD. Print yourself out a cover and stick it inside a jewel case. I swear. This is why I’m happy to pay higher rent, so I don’t have to live next door to these people.

13. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I would imagine the people who are buying this on CD are buying it to support the medium more than anything else. I doubt you're breaking any news to them that they're able to download the album and then burn it to a CD for much cheaper than buying the CD in the store but if everyone just did what you're suggesting, then inevitably there would be no more CD's to buy. Things are obviously heading that way anyway but just saying......at this point I would think there are very, very few people who buy CD's for any reason other than wanting to support it as a medium.

14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Hell, I can hardly find a place to buy a CD anymore other than Amazon. Just download the Hi-Rez crank it, stare at the ceiling enjoying what you enjoy, and burn a CD it if you need something to hold onto. hahaha

eric777 and DML71 like this.
  15. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

You might as well self quarantine for 14 days to avoid the coronavirus. Stare at the ceiling listening to Tool!

Roberto899 and JediJoker like this.
  16. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Rockin the Bird Jersey too!

Fishleehooke likes this.
  18. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...he’s even rockin’ the old school 80’s short shorts. :laugh:
    Killer tune!!!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  19. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

What a MONSTER!

Fishleehooke and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Incredible :edthumbs:

Fishleehooke and spsimmons like this.
  21. psuKinger

psuKinger Well-Known Member

How do I find-and-buy that version of TDPDH? I purchased a 24/96 version of it on 7Digital last night (after checking HDTracks and Qobuz and not seeing a version for sale), and it measured 5 dB of dynamic range (via Roon's r128 method, which often doesn't align with the numbers people most often site and post on sites like the Dynamic Range Database).

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

It's imposible to "like" this video enough. Impressive!

Fishleehooke and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

So did this album weirdly predict where we're at right now lyrically or what? Kinda eerie. Some hipster is later going to do a treatise on how the songs and lyrics of Fear Inoculum match what our countries are going through right now, what we're going through as a species in this moment.

Posted this in a few other threads, but rove to the grocery tonight in the pouring rain, where I found every parking spot was taken, every cart was in use, and dozens upon dozens of Southern Californians appear to be panic buying here tonight. Lots of completely empty store shelves (bread, canned soup, paper products, even frozen pizzas). Was just at the same store on Monday night, it was nothing, literally nothing like that (the toilet paper had been cleared out by then but I'm pretty well stocked up on that).

"Bless this immunity", may we be free from fear. Lot of people succumbing to herd mentality right now and hoarding and being nuts.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/22949

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Since Justin joined in 1994, this might be the first pro-shot multi camera footage to EVER surface of TOOL's classic lineup. In the 90's a couple news stations like MTV were allowed 10 of so minutes at a couple shows, but never soundboard audio.

Except for the several tracks on Salival 18 years ago, this is might be the first authorized mixed live audio since Paul was in the band in 1993. I think only very tiny number of soundboards have ever slipped out, and are in limited circulation or are flat/distorted mixes. Some early pre-1994 is out there, audio and video.

Except for a couple consecutive unseen shows in 2002(ish) they apparently have ZERO known multi camera concert footage in their vault. Festivals have nothing since 1994. Their multi-track vault is apparently in a similar state according from information for a member of their touring party. The odd unmanned tripod camera at the mixing desk is just so the lighting crew can review their work. Keep in mind the 2002 footage likely has a barely visible lead singer.

In many ways it's worse than Zeppelin/Floyd/Who refusing to record prime era footage. This 11 minute clip is such a huge breath of fresh air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.