Tool's NEW ALBUM Fear Inoculum - August 30th, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Your opinions should get a grip.

2. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Of course, the number of ways to address this demand are almost infinite, and I say "address" rather than "satisfy" because the more options a band offers, the more splintered the fan base becomes on what should be offered and how - exhibit A would be Marillion's semi-recent FEAR advance order offerings, where you could get damn near anything, but none of it was ever good enough for the fans (well, it was for me, as my "requirements" are pretty small and ordinary). Of course, that is a strange fan base, judging by the forum on their official website, anyway, where they wanted people to hold off discussing that album until such time as more/most fans had received their copies of the album (with these people, don't think "spoiler"; think "trigger")...but I digress (Marillion is awesome, however).

...but as a start, it would be nice if artists with music of depth and complexity (I appreciate how pretentious that sounds) always released 5.1 versions (Tool certainly fits this description). [Disclaimer: no, I don't yet actually have a 5.1 system, but when/if I do, I have a bunch of nice Steven Wilson, David Gilmour and Pink Floyd material waiting for it.]

dobyblue likes this.
  3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I doubt you would need "tech lessons" as downloading music has been a staple of computing since the 90's! It is very easy to do

pablorkcz and Bloom like this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Seems to have gone well based on the results. The timing of the release and the streaming has fared better than my expectations.

5. Hymie the Robot

The romance with the past is very strong here!

6. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

The line to take swings at me starts at the end of the block, friend - and, you're late.

Guss2 likes this.
  7. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Even a chimp such as your simple servant St. Troy can handle downloading a few tracks; my point about "tech lessons" was more specific: that if I have to take any steps at all to combine things in iTunes, and do anything about volume/quality differences between the two sources (some tracks from CD, some from downloads), the process is (by definition) very much f--ked up.

This is all quite simple - I do wonder why so many object so very loudly to something so very obvious.

8. HotelYorba101

I doubt that is the case, this will undoubtably be the same album except for the extra tracks not being included on the disk itself for spacial reasons apparently

9. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Wait - has this been definitively stated? Do we know what the limitation is, or if Amazon et al are actually now out of stock?

Good on The Beatles/Beatles management; I don't actually like them, but even I think it's important/valuable for their material to be available, in top form, to as many people as possible.

10. Hymie the Robot

That doesn't make any sense. The download will include everything on the CD so your fear about combining the two is silly.

obi likes this.
  11. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

If you are saying that it is possible for someone to listen to the complete album, missing nothing, via the download and without involving the CD, you are certainly 100% incontrovertibly correct - the whole album is there and it is possible for someone to do that. The thing is that I am not that someone (I buy CDs), and if I did consider doing such a thing, I would never have preordered the "deluxe" ("detracked" :D) CD edition at all. I mean, I'm intrigued by Adam's little metal shop experiment or whatever it is, but not enough to buy something incomplete.

mneuliep likes this.
  12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

When I preorder music from iTunes I usually get the download around 10:00 the night before so that is when I expect the power grid to fail here.

13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

If they do a multi vinyl box set at 45 rpm, I'd be on it. Simply put onto 10" reels at 7.5 ips (hell, I may go with 15 ips for this one if it is AAA), no flipping, no problem. Where the will is strong, the obstacles seem weak. Now you all have me hoping for a AAA multi vinyl box. Not sure this is full analog recording though. What does it matter, the way it is going, the deluxe disc will be sold out and the only thing available on release will be a, gasp, download. That just seems bizzare.

14. Hymie the Robot

So rather than listening to the new album in any form you are going to spend that time here posting over and over?

St. Troy likes this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

This is assuming a lot before we even know what file types they're going to be offering with the album download.

16. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

We've been given info about the songs and still all that can be talked about here is consumer disappointments and expectations. Gah!
    I'm excited by these reviews and experiencing another full length opus by this band, it almost seems unreal

17. Hymie the Robot

Your idea of bizarre is different than mine but not in a bad way:)

18. HotelYorba101

I am totally cool with going digital only for this album if there is no standalone "normal" CD release. I just recently loaded up the new HDTracks 92/24 files of 10,000 Days onto my iPod Touch and the experience was as immersive as any other great music listening experience I have. Ultimately I care more about the music than the format at this point

19. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Well played, sir...but I have 16 days left in which to fizzle out!

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

I'm avoiding the reviews for now, I almost didn't even want to look at the tracklist.

Definitely want to experience the album as a whole with little as preconception as possible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    SecondHandNews and Boswell like this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Not a peep from you if you don't cave in and buy this in some form after release day! Promise?

22. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

As I've said, all may yet be well - my issue is that I have to worry about it at all, rather than simply order the CD and be done with it.

I'm happy to spend the money - a bit too happy, at least one of my family members would say - but having spent it, I don't want more work/complexity (the guy who tosses the nickel to the dancing monkey isn't supposed to dance himself - that's what the nickel is for).

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

And Adam seemed receptive to quite a few posts on here about multichannel, but they've chosen to push the boundaries of physical formats with a 4" rechargeable LED screen.

hahahahaha, oh well...at least we know to date they haven't allowed their albums to be slammed to heck so we can hope the new album will be in the "transitional" area of dynamic range. 10,000 Days was DR8 and it sounds very good. The new remasters all sound great too.

24. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I've actually already pre-ordered the CD...but if you would like to reconceive your request, I am all ears.

It is possible that I will cancel my order, I should add.

25. Hymie the Robot

I have listened to all three released tracks, counting the two live ones, ONCE. I am trying to avoid everything else. Wish I didn't hear about the drum solo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.