Top-40 hit lyrics of the past that would not be acceptable today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

I think that a cat who loves a dog is quite endearing.

2. Donfrance

Or Richie Rich from Bottom.

puddingdish likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Let me make it clear that I too think "Under My Thumb" is a great song — musically.

As I wrote very early on in this thread, it's so musically great that despite being a feminist, I just kind of close my eyes/ears to the lyrics — which by the way are not misogynistic, but are sexist.

Among the many lyrics that make this rather obvious are "Her eyes are just kept to herself/I can still look at someone else."

That's the very definition of sexism.

In a just world, there wouldn't be any "power dynamics" in a relationship, but simply two equal partners. The fact that the power dynamics were initially shifted in favor of the female is every bit as wrong. But the remedy for that isn't flipping them 180 degrees.

And because of this, "switching the gender" of "Under My Thumb" would make no difference at all. In any case, that's a non-starter — the song should be evaluated on what it is, not what it would be with a major alteration.

Nipper likes this.
  4. Donfrance

Did NWA - F the Police never chart?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In the way that the religious nuts would have a hissy fit over John Lennon's "Imagine" if it were released today.

fluffskul, James RD and CrazyCatz like this.
  6. Grant

No. The police terrorists hated the song.

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’ve not read all the posts, so maybe someone has added Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen already ?

Donfrance likes this.
  8. Grant

So is your assertion. The difference is that the scenario I pointed out really happened.

9. Grant

Not if you've listened to Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" or "All About That bass" by Mehan Trainor. And "Baby Got Back" by Sir-Mix-A-Lot remains very popular...with women:

10. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.