Torture Thread: The Greatest Releases That Should Have Been....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

New Van Halen album with David Lee Roth. I think it's in the can(?). At least they recorded several new songs a couple of years ago. :confused:

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I thought they only recorded two songs together. They were both put on the greatest hits album they released in 1998 (I think?)

3. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

4. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

The Quadrophenia remaster with bonus tracks, but "someone" decided it wasn't a good idea. :(

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Complete remastered catalogs by:

Beatles
    Bruce Springsteen
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young (inclding his Archives series)
    Black Sabbath (WB remasters)

These are huge catalog artists that should've been done at least 5-10 years ago.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

How about Sony finishing up on the Cheap Trick and Psychedelic Furs remasters? Why do they do them chronologically and kill the program for poor sales before getting to the artists's most popular albums?

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The Great FOUND Kinks Album :D

8. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Deep Purple "Who Do We Think We Are" remaster with "I've Got A Smelly Botty" sung by Jon Lord. :laugh:

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Dean,

This is the greatest tragedy on the thread. If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....If only....:(

The two most useless words in the English language.....

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

How about - The Rolling Stones 1972 live album?

They prepared the tapes from their "Exile" tour, one of their best. The initial plan was a 2 lp set with the first lp dedicated to the opening act - Stevie Wonder. He had just broken away from the Detroit formula with Talking Book and was hitting a stride. They were RED HOT then.

The Stones had also hit their stride - the "looseness" of Ya-Ya's was encouraged by a new confidence. The band remained small - with only the addition of two horn players. This is the tour that eventually begat the movies "Cocks*cker Blues" and the "cleaner" Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. The album was squashed by legal entanglements with ABKCO. Neither film has had any legitimate home release (either old fashioned VHS or more recent DVD). The former was nixed by the band, the latter is also a victim of ABKCO. Bootlegs, and the original motion pictures show this lp as a smoker. One that could make Ya-Ya fans think it sounds like "Got Live If You Want It".

11. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

The album being worked by the Grateful Dead when Jerry died. Most of the music showed up on the So Many Roads box set, but the cuts were mostly the practice sessions. The story goes that the tracks being worked on in the studio were just to incomplete to use.

12. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

DCC Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
    DCC Shadows - 24K Hits
    DCC Elvis - 24K Hits Vol.2

13. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Re: Re: Torture Thread: The Greates Releases That Should Have Been....

Hey Steve. I think that's 7 of us now.

14. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Dave has pretty much said that they did work on some new material. Eddie will probably make sure this never sees the light of day!

15. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

And a gold DCC McCartney's 'All The Best' was also prepared and never appeared, I believe...

16. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

As Eric Idle would say....."SAY NO MORE!". I would like to know what that final "snafu" was (not that it matters really). I've been listening to some newly acquired DCC Golds this week (with more on the way) and each time I hear one, I ask myself..."why can't all discs sound this good?" At some point, I usually then ask myself "Wouldn't it be great if I were about to listen to a DCC Gold of "Revolver", followed by "Rubber Soul", "The Beatles", "Abbey Road". "........?

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Look here

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

DCC - Iron Maiden: Number Of The Beast
    MFSL - Tommy Bolin: Teaser/Private Eyes

19. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Pretty cool, but that's not quite what we were hoping for, is it? :sigh:

20. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Guns and Roses-"Chinese Democracy":laugh::hurl:

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Harry Nilsson's swan song Papa's Got A Brand New Robe.

Harry's parts were apparently finished just days before his death, and there was a lot of talk of its release at the time, but nothing so far.
    :(

22. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

There was a Jack Nitzsche-produced Dwight Twilley album that never saw the light of day. All we ever got were promo 12" singles of "Somebody To Love". The track was reworked and eventually appeared on "Scuba Divers".

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Who knows how great they are or might have been, but here are some legendary "lost" albums, at least to fans of the artists, that have not yet been mentioned:

John Fogerty -- Hoodoo
    This was supposed to be his second Asylum album in 1976, but it was never released. It got as far as, perhaps, the acetate stage, and one single was released -- "You Got the Magic" and "Evil Thing." The unreleased album was assigned catalog number 7E-1081.

Linda Ronstadt -- Keeping Out of Mischief
    As with the Fogerty album, this one was close enough to release that it was assigned a catalog number in 1981 (Asylum 5E-540) and was even listed briefly in the Schwann catalog. For whatever reason, it ended up being scrapped; the next Ronstadt album was Get Closer in 1982.

Bee Gees -- A Kick in the Head Is Worth Eight in the Pants
    The planned late 1973 followup to Life in a Tin Can, it was first postponed, then canceled, after Tin Can stiffed. The song "Wouldn't I Be Someone," which was the lead-off track on Best of Bee Gees Vol. 2, was a preview of the unreleased album, as was its single B-side, "Elisa." Several more of the tracks appeared on the Bee Gees box set. After this, the Gibb brothers changed producers to Arif Mardin and created Mr. Natural and their "comeback" album, Main Course.

More than once, the Bee Gees have scrapped an entire album's worth of songs for various reasons. The first time may have been in Australia in 1966, when they recorded 14 songs, 13 of them originals, for a potential followup album to Spicks and Specks. The album was never compiled, and once the Bee Gees left for England, the songs ended up being used as demos for other Australian artists. All but one of these tracks has appeared on legitimate CD in the ensuing years.

Bruce Springsteen -- The Ties That Bind
    The one-LP version of what became The River was announced for a fall 1979 release. But Bruce couldn't come up with a final track lineup, so the album was scrapped. My understanding is that several songs originally planned for this LP did NOT make it to the final lineup of The River.

Frank Zappa/The Mothers -- No Commercial Potential
    This was planned for 1969 or so; Lillan Roxon mentioned it in her Rock Encyclopedia. It was supposed to be a 3-LP set, complete with a track of the cops busting a Mothers session for whatever reason while the tape deck was left rolling.

Of course, another "lost" Zappa album, Lather, saw a posthumous release.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve talked about it on a different thread on this board. Pardon me while I pull out my hankie....sniff sniff sob!

25. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Don't know how I forgot about Fogerty's Hoodoo...Thanks, Tim!

Here's one that just popped into my head-
    The Monkees w/Sam & The Goodtimers- Live, 1969

A live album was supposedly recorded during the last 60's Monkees tour, in which the remaining Monkees (Dolenz, Jones & Nesmith) hired a 7 piece soul/rhythm and blues revue band, complete with horn section, to back them up. Only Nesmith played guitar with this line-up, Dolenz and Jones limited themselves to vocals only. The tour was a failure, with many dates cancelled, though this line-up did appear on The Tonight Show and The Joey Bishop Show. Almost as weird an idea as having Jimi Hendrix open for them, but it'd sure be interesting to hear what it sounded like.

A few copies were said to have been pressed up for band members, but none seem to have actually turned up, and apparently Rhino doesn't have the tapes (if in fact they exist at all). It'd be the Holy Grail among Monkees fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.