Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sorry to thread crap but every time I see a Toto thread I can't stop myself thinking of this...

[​IMG] :hide:

2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes I agree if they are actually an improvement I will probably pick up the first seven albums. I think Lukather admittedly suffers from hearing loss. He actually defended the sound of the last Toto album which I find to be one of the worst masterings I have ever heard.

drum_cas and PTgraphics like this.
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

"Dirrty boy She's waiting there for you".

4. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

So I can throw my RockCandy remasters away again...

Well, let's hope they include lots of extras, and don't skip the Byron tracks.

And perhaps they could do Lukather's first solo album as well.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The RC remasters are horrible, mastered from copies.

Dave likes this.
  6. Joost van Gijzen

I'm not an audiophile, so you're probably right.

I wonder if Sony knew this was coming and they let RC down their own 'remasters' first, so we could all buy their product twice....

7. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

If you are not an audiophile why would you throw away the Rock Candy remasters and buy the CDs again?

I am happy with my original CDs and my MFSL Toto IV but some of them COULD be improved. I'd like to have "Isolation" without pre-emphasis e.g.

drum_cas likes this.
  8. Joost van Gijzen

Well, if the new remasters sound so good that even I can tell... I'd like to have them.

9. Johannes

Johannes Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am an old Toto fan but new to this forum (nice to be here!) and also of course very curious about Lukather's statement about new remasters. I also notice that many of you (as myself) think that TOTO XIV is weird-sounding. I am not technically skilled mixing/mastering-wise so it would be much appreciated to learn more details from you guys about what you think are the bummers here? Too me it sounds to bassy, too dark and so on...

Best regards,

Johannes, Sweden

10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Welcome on board! IMO It's mastered too loud. On the japanese CD there's a bonus track that sounds like all regular tracks should have sounded if they were done right!

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Steve Lukather WE ARE RE MASTERING NOT REMIXING !!!!!! ( Read what I write haha ) I WILL SAY THAT THE FIRST 2 ALBUMS SOUND LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN RE MIXED.Working on finishing Hydra and then Tunr Back next. WE WILL RE -SHAPRE THE SOUND RADICALLY. UNBELIEVABLE SOUNDS NOW! GAVIN LURSSEN AND ELLIOT SCHEINER + ME, PAICH AND STEVE PORCARO IN THERE PRODUCING. I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

FVDnz, JLPMacca and Mark Wilson like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That means we get crap!

shaboo, BrunoSamppa, Galeans and 2 others like this.
  13. Joost van Gijzen

Okay, so maybe I should hold on to my old cd's.

Can someone who is on Facebook please ask if there will be outtakes and such.
    (Plus the Bobby-sung Isolation tracks)

And a remastered Moodido (my favorite Toto track)?

Galeans likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Always hold on to your original's...
    For my tastes run of the mill remasters have always been a step back, except for maybe a couple...

shaboo and Dave like this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Doug, thanks for the post, but damn that Lukather, as he is the sole reason why newer TOTO releases sound like C-R-A-P. That guy has clearly lost his hearing and he really needs to stay out of the mastering room, to be brutally honest!

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Gavin Lurssen and Elliot Scheiner are only the recipient of an order! I expect the worst...

PTgraphics likes this.
  17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have really enjoyed Elliot Scheiner's "surround" work and I agree with others, that some of TOTO's earlier albums mixed to surround would be a real treat. Regarding what is being done now in 2-channel, I just know, from reading so many nasty posts online about Luke flipping out when people complain about his mastering approach, that he will find a way to screw these up. The guy is a fabulous musician, but he only knows the words "turn it up louder", when he is making "sound" decisions and we TOTO fans sadly suffer because of it!

18. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Also his caps lock is a giveaway regarding the mastering levels...

forthlin, RoyalScam, Galley and 16 others like this.
  19. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I run a Jeff Porcaro tribute Twitter feed (@JeffPorcaroCuts for those that are interested) and Luke follows so I sent him a DM asking for some more info and he came back with it's going to be released over all formats and Hi-res and he's super excited by how they're coming together.

drum_cas, JLPMacca, Galeans and 2 others like this.
  20. I do not agree that Luke's last two solo albums sound bad.

21. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I love Luke, but I don't trust his taste in mastering and "nice sound"

22. Joost van Gijzen

Could you ask him about extra cuts, outtakes, live versions etc? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

If they're done right, not too loud but dynamic enough not to be too brittle with the highs, then, I'm in for all of them!

DiabloG and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Did you pick up the Blue-Spec 2 reissues of the first 6 albums from a couple years ago?

Mark

25. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

All formats? I´m hoping that means either SACD of BD-A. Prefer the former, if I have choice.

jacek2 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.