Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

5.1 for IV? Now we're talking! :pineapple:

Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Toto IV has already been released on a SACD in 5.1. I have it.

Pat

Jarleboy and Nostaljack like this.
  3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Actually that remark shattered my hopes that they would actually try a good, audiophile remaster.

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

And other than "Africa," it's not a particularly interesting 5.1 mix.

Chris C and Nostaljack like this.
  5. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Indeed but it is long OOP and overly expensive.

ti-triodes and fredblue like this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'd bet this will wind up as a Columbia Masters box set, like the EWF, Withers, ELO, etc.

Scheiner had me intrigued, until Lurssen was mentioned along with Luke "producing". These will be awful, I just know it.

bruce2 likes this.
  7. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident

Do you know if this will include the Dune soundtrack?

8. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

That was already remastered once before, although apparently the left and right channels were swapped on some tracks.
    Perhaps they could include the Desert Theme and Take My Hand as bonus cuts on Isolation.

9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You can't "know" it. Porcaro and Paich are involved too and Porcaro, at least, hasn't been on the road the whole time killing his ears. This could be really good. We don't know anything until we hear them.

Ed

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Fair enough, ED. I feel it in my gut, in every fiber of my being. Better? ;-)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

How can you, though? Steve Porcaro and Paich are involved too. Elliot has great ears and we know that. You're only "feeling it in your gut" because of one person. Let's at least give it a chance before we decide it sucks.

Ed

FVDnz and Smartin62 like this.
  12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Luke has stated today that no compression was used in the new mastering.

13. walrus

Also that this isn't happening until 2018. Womp womp.

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I wasn't sure if he was referring to the new album or the remasters for 2018.

15. walrus

The remasters. "For the 40th anniversary." Although since the band formed in 1977, I suppose next year could also be the 40th for marketing purposes.

16. Johannes

Johannes Well-Known Member

2018 it is and I am very eager to once again buy all the stuff from these boys :). Bought the vinyls in the 80ś, the cd:s in the 90ś and some remasters after that. Everything now on my HD but wtf; I just love their music so why not buy a fat high-res bunch of LP:s and high-res files again? :)
    Anyone have a clue of exactly which 11 albums will be remastered? The first seven is obvious but after that? Will Past to Present be included? Through the looking glass?

Br,

Johannes

17. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Unless there were 5.1 mixes included, I'm not interested. I've bought their catalogue too many times already.

18. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Probably Kingdom, Tambu, XX, Mindfields. Through The Looking Glass is not on Sony.

Hopefully they'll also expand Absolutely Live to feature the entire concert, or release the full (different) Dutch show broadcast on TV.

19. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

From Steve Lukather facebook:

Steve Lukather: What? We did NOT. Who would? It is all from the ORIGINAL album mixes but Re shaped EQ wise but NO compression and very very HI fi. We are hearing subtle parts that were buried in the old mixes. Remember we had to mix for Vinyl back then and there were rules we HAD to deal with that were a drag. Elliot Schiener, Gavin Lurrsen and his co -mastering engineer Rueben did some amazing things. Its like a blanket was taken off the speakers on our 1-3 records and just a tweak here and there from Toto IV on. We found a 5.1 mix of IV Elliot did yrs ago that was never released.. SO many treats/ surprises will be in there as well , huge liner notes and photos and personal stuff.. and it is like we re-mixed the early stuff , the first 3 albums, but we didn't ! It's SO clear and hi fi! This was an amazing experience. NO compression was added !!!! NONE. It is full range 192 resolution and it will also be out on hi end Vinyl It has inspired us to write the NEW music we start on Jan 9th -March. Many surprises and ' treats' will be included. Out 2018 but we will tour 2017 as well. Some festivals in Europe and then the USA. A surprise is coming there as well. It is all working us up to the 40th ann in 2018. 2 year world tour to follow. Thats all for now. Happy Holidays to you all .. Luke

fredblue likes this.
  20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, but good luck finding a copy today at a reasonable price! Certainly hope they reissue this mix.

21. This!

jacek2, Jarleboy and soundboy like this.
  22. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I didn't know it was hard to find. Luke is still saying that IV has an unreleased 5.1 mix that they found but I wonder if he doesn't remember it being released or if it is a actual different mix.

Pat

23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I'm guessing he doesn't remember or he probably would have mentioned it was different from the one released before.

But yeah, it's hard to get. It's one of the ones I'm always on the lookout for to try and snag at a reasonable price. The only one on EBay right now, the guy is wanting $189. He's not likely to get that, but them going for $60-70 seems pretty common.

24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Reading Luke's post, I came away thinking that 2018 reference refers to the new music, not necessarily these remasters.

Mark

25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I hope that's the way it goes. I can't see them sitting on the remasters until 2018. I'm ready for them now!

Mark Wilson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.