Tower Records Christmas Day Sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveman, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

FYI: I got a flyer in the mail stating that every CD is "on sale" and every DVD is 25% off on Christmas day ONLY. I called them up to clarify on the CD sale and they were unsure themselves, but said the white sticker price should be discounted a MINIMUM of $5.00 per CD. If that's the case, I'm doing some damage. Regardless, I'm going to go and check it out. There is no information on the website about it, and it says not every store, so I'd call your local Tower before going over there for nothing.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yeah, I got a similar email from Tower earlier this week. The email indicates that you can "save online or in stores" and then says "every cd in the store is on sale." I'm assuming that every cd online will be on sale, too, but who knows. It also indicates that "most" stores are open on Christmas, so I'm assuming that the sale is valid for every store with the exception of those that are closed on Christmas day. You can check online to see whether your local store is open on Christmas day.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if every cd was at least $5 off.

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

So Dave:
    Will I see you on Rockville Pike on Christmas Day?
    I might run by myself and snag that Drive By Truckers CD. And The Thrills.
    :wave:
    Peace-
    Norm

4. daveman

Maybe! Thanks for reminding me, I wouldn't mind picking up the new Thrills CD while I'm there too.

By the way, you were right, the place does shake! I didn't believe it or notice it at first; but then one time over the summer the whole place was rocking under my feet! :eek:

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Told ya!
    Hit me with a PM when you want to come over and listen to some music over your winter break. I have completely redone my Turntable since you heard it last.
    Cheers-
    Norm

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I just took a trip to my local Tower. Oddly, everything except Christmas music seemed to be 16% off though I had to take things up to the register to see what the discount on any particular item would be. I wonder who came up with this odd sale -- not 15% or 20% but 16% and no way of knowing when you're shopping what something will actually cost at the register. Perhaps some bankruptcy attorney suggested it. :laugh:

Online it seems like everything is 25% off.

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Sorry to thread crap, but I refuse to support businesses who stay open on Christmas day. The employees deserve to be home with their families.

8. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

What about:

a) people who don't celebrate xmas?
    b) people who have no friends or family?
    c) people who enjoy working on major holidays?
    d) people who enjoy playing the martyr by saying they have to work on major holidays?

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I would assume anyone who's working at Tower on Christmas isn't there against their will, and are getting well compensated for their holiday work.

Lots of folks work on Christmas for one reason or another. I was in radio for 13 years, for example, and they don't shut the place off just because it's Christmas. I got some useful overtime for working holidays, and I was glad for it.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K. Obvious question. IF YOU DID NOT MEAN TO THREAD CRAP, THEN WHY DID YOU?

For crying out loud, no one is required to work at Tower Records! If the employee doesn't want to work on Christmas Day, he or she can ask for the day off or quit! Gee, maybe the people working Christmas Day don't mind. Maybe the people working Christmas Day need the money and are glad to work. No, that can't be right. :rolleyes:

Final point. If you were driving to a relative's house on Christmas Day and ran out of gas on the way, I'm sure you would be most grateful that the convenience store up the road was open so you could fill the tank! :agree:

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

And don't forget all the folks who just got Tower gift certificates for Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those are being cashed in today.

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I've known a few people, in retail, who have been required to work Thanksgiving and Christmas due to not having enough volunteers. And the employees were not very happy about it. It's those folks I feel sorry for.

The business had never been open on Thanksgiving and Christmas. But, a couple of years ago they were bought out by a larger chain who insisted they stay open. And there are many long time employees working there.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That may seem unfortunate, but when you take a job at an establishment that is open on Christmas, then you have to know that you may be required to work. As I said, if that bothers you, you are free to work elsewhere. If you work at a retail establishment that is open on Christmas, you can just as well work at another one that isn't.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Tower Records are open today, until 10pm in my area. All discs (including SACD) are discounted, 25% off the white sticker price according to big signs posted around the store.

I headed to the SACD section and, basket in hand, loaded up with a bunch of SACDs. I carefully trimmed down my initial selections to 11 discs and made my way to the check out.

The assistant scanned the first couple of discs and the computer calculated the price on each one, sales tax to be added at the end, but things did not seem to add up. A $19.99 disc rang up at $16.50, and the Mercury Starker double ($37.99) rang up at $34 and change.

Now I know my mental arithmetic is not as sharp as it once was, (my B.Sc Hons. in applied maths was gleaned many years back), but even on my worst day I can work out that one quarter of twenty bucks is $5, and that $19.99 SACD should be $14.99.

I pointed this out to the assistant, whose powers of basic math were even poorer than mine (though, to give him credit, he was wearing an excellent pink hippo costume that was quite a hoot). After a little back and forth, he called over the supervisor. I'm a regular at Tower - for what that's worth - and they agreed to re-scan the discs, applying the 25% discount by hand on each item.

This worked out to my satisfaction. Example - I really paid $28.49 for that Mercury Living Presence Janos Starker double SACD.

So, if you are bored and decide to head over to your local Tower Records for some Christmas shopping, pay attention to the way the cash register works, and stand on principle. You will get the 25% discount you deserve.

15. daveman

Geoff, at my Tower everything was ~16% off like Jeff (lv70smusic) said as well, so it must vary per store. Regardless, I got 4 CDs and the new Bowie live DVD, so I'm pleased. Will have a lot of listening to do soon! :agree:

Unfortunately, I did not run into Norm! :shake:

16. Metralla

But I bet there was a big sign saying 25% off the white sticker price on all CDs. I asked - and received.

Were the sales staff in fancy dress? We had a pink hippo, an excellent female Druid, and a really good "undead" guy with ripped suit and superb makeup.

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

That's why I love Tower. After pulling you into the store with the promise of a flat 25% discount, they refuse to give it to you unless you demand it. When they rang me up with the 16% discount this morning, I did a 180 and left. Life is way too short.

18. daveman

I did not see a sign that said 25% all CDs -- the 25% at my store was only all DVDs. And no fancy outfits! :laugh:

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No, there were absolutely NO signs in my store even indicating that there was a sale. There was a sign in front of the store, but it only matched the email that I received that said all cd's were on sale but did not mention the amount of discount.

And there were no costumes at my store -- well, no costumes beyond the interesting normal street wear that some people in my neighborhood wear. :)

20. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Oh boy - I walked out of the Tower in Seattle this evening with the following:

Kylie Minogue - Ultimate Kylie (UK import)
    The Stranglers - Norfolk Coast (UK import)
    Produced By Trevor Horn (compilation, UK import)

That new Tower in Seattle is nice and cavernous. But it's still a Tower, you know? :sigh:

21. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Cody the Forum Thread Crap Pug™ would normally take this as his cue to make an appearance, but he doesn't work on Christmas. :D

22. Metralla

Given the size of the average Christmas feast, Cody will be working full-time tomorrow. ;)

23. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree:

:laugh:

24. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I went to Tower on Route 17 in New Jersey tonight and everything was 16% off their super high prices. However, all was not lost - I ended up buying a used classical SACD for $8 (in the "clearance" section).
    25% would have motivated me. I'll go to Tower online now and see what's there.

25. brstp

brstp Active Member

Thanks for posting this, I got a Tower gift card today and saved some $$$. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.