Trapeze Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by townsend, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

According to CD Japan and HMV Japan, the first three Trapeze albums are going to be reissued on 12/13/06. The following is excerpted from the CD Japan website:

Part of a three-album Trapeze original LP replica cardboard sleeve reissue series featuring digital remastering (details subject to change). Complete Trapeze cardboard sleeve reissue series includes the albums "Trapeze," "Medusa," and "You Are The Music We're Just The Band." (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=114887)

Though I owned all three of these albums in vinyl during my college years (pre-CD period, for those interested in geology;) ), I now own the U.S. domestic issue CDs of the 2nd and 3rd albums, "Medusa" and "You Are The Music . . . We're Just The Band" respectively.

These two albums featured one of the great power trios of all time--Glenn Hughes on bass, Mel Galley on guitar, and Dave Holland on drums--playing their own particular brand of funk rock. (The first album featured a different line up, and that group had a different vibe).

This trio toured the South--at least Texas during the late 60s/early 70s, along their Threshold label mates, The Moody Blues. Though I didn't see them in Houston, my high school friends, who went to the concert primarily to see the Moody Blues--raved about Trapeze. I went out and bought Medusa and have been hooked on them ever since.:)

After the brilliant "You Are The Music . . .," Glenn Hughes jumped ship to Deep Purple, and Galley and Holland labored on by adding musicians. But the loss of Hughes was devastating--not only was he the lead vocalist, but his song writing (along with Galley) was critical to the band's success.

But back to their discography. In 2003, Lemon Recordings reissued "You Are the Music . . .". According to www.cduniverse.com, this reissue is digitally remastered, though I can't readily find the remastering engineer's credit on the foldout. I do recall it sounded "louder" than the U.S. domestic issue--not necessarily inferior, but louder (I do share all your concerns about the "loudness" wars coming to an end). The insert folded out and featured a brief but informative history of the band, along with color photos of the band and of each player.

Galley is pictured in jeans and cowboy boots, playing his signature instrument: a Gibson SG. I assume the black pickup covers confirm that these are P90s. Galley's lead work is superb: his combination of phrasing, string bending and vibrato set him apart from his peers, IMHO.

HMV Japan lists these three albums, but does not mention anything about "digital remastering." I've e-mailed and inquired to HMV, but they haven't gotten back to me. And though the CD Japan blurb mentions "digital remastering," it is followed immediately by the qualifier "details subject to change."

I know that these Japanese papersleeve issues may or may NOT feature remastering. If anyone here can shed light on these reissues, it would be greatly appreciated. If they are remastered, I'll definitely pick them up, even knowing that remasters can be "hit or miss."

2. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

great news. If you search I thinkyou will see Lemon records who did the last batch are widely disliked, NR and all that. Plus the cds are all needledrops since the Trapze tapes are lost...I have had both the Threshold releases (a Polygram company) and the Lemon and I say go for the orig Threshold cds for those 2 albums.....

I LOVE Medusa but unless they have a safety of the tapes somewhere the vinyl will prob be the definitive version, I guess....too bad for us cd people. I dont trust a lto of teh mini lp releases so i probably wont get these, but I would love to have a good reason to do so

btw, get Way Back to the Bone on cd, which is OOP but is a live show from 1972 in Dallas which smokes -that plus the 2 lp's is one HANDY Trapeze catalog

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the original US CDs on Threshold were totally bass shy, IMO. i don't like them. vinyl all the way.

4. townsend

Did anyone bother to pick up either Medusa or "You Are the Music . . ."?

I agree with that they are most probably needledrops (as noted above), but I was wondering whether someone had actually compared these Japanese reissues to the original CD releases.

FWIW: cdjapan advertised these as being "digital remasters" but " details subject to change"--I think they are probably NOT digitally remastered, because hmv.co.jp never described them as such.

5. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

A needeldrop idea for this evening, I believe I ahve a prsitine Medusa from the UK

6. shinedaddy

NICE! Would love to hear that done well.....good luck

7. Toka

Toka Active Member

Any more news on this? I have a sealed copy of Medusa (US) in 'the vault' (ie, my shelf) awaiting a new rig...but until then, a better CD option would be welcomed.

8. townsend

Though a rabid Trapeze fan (yes, I live in Texas), I skipped purchasing both of these Japanese mini-LP CDs because they don't appear to offer sonic improvement, just neat packaging.

I even e-mailed an eBay seller, who claimed that they were remastered (as did several sites, d.g., CD Japan), and he e-mailed me back and no longer described the items are remastered.

I've have found one review on the net, and I don't know what to make of it:
    1) "bought the lp back in 1970 and i couldn't stop playing it.I bought the cd in 1994 and still thought it was amazing. But now I buy the Japan mini lp cd remaster. My god it sounds totally amazing. Best remastering ever bar none. Guitar solos louder than ever. Glenn Hughes vocals are pristine.I have bought other remasters, most times you can tell the remasters sound better. But this is like night and day. I could go on and on. It's like Im just hearing this for the first time . don't miss out on this baby, you won't regret it." (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7329785&BAB=E).

I know, I know. When we read "guitar solos louder than ever," it makes us cringe!!! But could this guy possibly be onto something . . . "vocals are pristine," and the fact that this remaster stands out from other remasters he has bought?

I still am suspicious . . . it could be one loud maxed out, clipped edition.:thumbsdn: But even if it was, then it was changed, and not merely the same remastering of the U.S. domestic version in a neat cardboard sleeve.

Did anybody who frequents this forum buy one or more of the Japanese Trapeze issues, and compare them to the U.S. remastering?

9. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Just for fun I picked up the Lemon Records CD of "You Are The Music", because I was curious how it would sound compared to my old Threshold CD & LP. I was disappointed to hear that the pitch was different, the whole CD runs faster than my originals. I even double checked the LP speed on two different turntables just to make sure I wasn't wrong! I checked the levels of the two CD's in Soundforge and the Lemon was much louder, but not Brick-walled. I emailed Lemon with my results and will await a reply.

10. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

what is it about Texas and Trapeze? I have a show from Dallas 1972 which is pretty cool, as well as the 3 CDs..

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Updated news from the DPAS (Deep Purple)

Universal have licensed the Trapeze / Medusa album out. This will replace that utterly dreadful version which came out on Lemon a few years ago, and be mastered from actual album tapes. Simon Robinson is helping out with archive bits and pieces for it and we'll have more news soon. If anyone has any good material on this early period of the band - adverts, photographs etc. do get in touch and we'll pass your info on.

12. shinedaddy

KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and from tapes?? which ones I wonder....hey, how about making it a deluxe edition? now that would be unreal

13. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

"You are the music, we're just the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand"

Hoo Hoo

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

So these mini LP's may not be the same as what Universal is doing maybe??

15. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

it does sound as though these will be newly mastered. (only problem is, finding a competent mastering engineer, hopefully it won't be anyone at abbey road as these are not EMI titles)

16. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I'm currently revisiting the original Threshold CDs - I believe mine are German pressings, but should be the same as the US - and I'm finding that to be a severe oversimplification.

The first (S/T) Trapeze album is indeed somewhat lacking in fidelity in its 1994 CD reincarnation. Yep, and bass-shy would be an apt description; as would anemic-sounding.

However, the follow-up album Medusa already represents a marked improvement in sound. Glenn Hughes' bass is not only audilbe, but the music actually has a bottom now.

And by the time we get to You Are The Music...well gentlemen, crank this puppy up some and watch your woofer cones receive a work-out. There is nothing even remotely bass-shy about this pressing.

I think some of these perceived "facts" are initiated and then just perpetuated by word-of-mouth blanket statements even though they may not be entirely true. So, this is just for the other side of the record. If anyone else has these original CDs, put 'em on and try 'em. You may just like 'em. ;)
    Both begin with the letter "T"? :winkgrin:

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

There was a DJ in San Antonio named Joe Anthony who championed many obscure hard rocks bands of the 70's, because of that bands like Budgie, Moxy, Legs Diamond, Trapeze, and the early Scorpions (Pre Lovedrive) had a huge following in the state and to some extent still do.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

when compared with my orig. US white label 'Bell Sound' Threshold LP, the 1994 CD remaster of Medusa is bass shy. i remember the same about the s/t (vis-a-vis 1A/1A UK vinyl). in fairness, it's been a while since i've put on the You are the Music... CD. the discs are not horrible, just bass shy (well, the first two i can be sure of). if you have a loudness button, i say use it!

19. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Great album! Slap it on, Eddie. :righton:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i just bought another white label promo of Music last week, John. :thumbsup: it's a great album, i agree, i just don't remember what the CD sounds like anymore. along with Music, i picked up my third or fourth copy of Medusa, this one a later blue label copy with 'Sterling' stamped on side A and non-descript matrix on the B side. i look forward to A/B'ing the 'Sterling' side with the 'Bell Sound' original. Trapeze LPs are not easy to find in minty condition.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I really must get myself a TT. I have all the Trapeze albums stored in a box at my mother's house..those and some other goodies :agree:

22. townsend

Something doesn't add up here. I checked the link at DPAS (http://www.deep-purple.net/related-news/glenn-hughes.htm), and indeed the Medusa album cover is pictured. So that much is clear. This has to do with Trapeze's Medusa album, and apparently, it alone. I would hope that if that project proves successful, they would later remaster "You Are the Music . . ."--assuming they can find the tapes.

What doesn't make sense is the talk about the " . . . dreadful version which came out on Lemon a few years ago . . ." IIRC, Lemon never issued a version of Medusa; rather, Lemon reissued "You Are the Music . . ." on CD. Is he talking about an LP version issued by Lemon, because Lemon never issued a CD version of Medusa.

23. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

This is probably an appropriate place to mention this. From another site: "According to Express & Star, Mel Galley — former member of the hard rock bands WHITESNAKE, TRAPEZE and PHENOMENA — is seriously ill with cancer, the 59-year-old Staffordshire musician has revealed today.

The rock legend from Cannock has broken the devastating news to friends that he only has a short time to live after recently being diagnosed with the disease. It comes just a month before the star was due to take to the stage again with a new band after years away from the spotlight. Mel said: "It happens, but I've had a fantastic life.

"I have been very lucky. I have seen some great bands, and played with many great musicians. And I have enjoyed some tremendous experiences. I am thankful that I can say a proper goodbye to all the friends I have made, who are now rallying round me."

On Glenn Hughes' MySpace page, he states he's planning to visit Mel for his 60th birthday in early March and will be taking cards and messages. There's a mailing address to which you can send these to Glenn.

This is very sad news; I immediately put on You Are the Music..., one of my top ten albums of all time, and could barely keep it together listening to his supurb melodic playing on songs like "Coast To Coast" and "What Is a Woman's Role?" along with his sassy, ripping solos on "Keeping Time" and "Way Back To the Bone."

Think good thoughts for Mel...

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

That is indeed very sad news.^:shake:

hhmm,looks like someone got thier Trapeze albums in a twist. Hopefully as before,it might mean all the Threshold titles which would include You are The Music..we will have to wait and see over the next few months.

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Just Medusa and the Trapeze album with an apology about the YATM/Lemon records comment added to the DPAS.

Universal have licensed the Trapeze / Medusa album out. This will replace that utterly dreadful version which came out on Lemon a few years ago, and be mastered from actual album tapes. Simon is helping out with archive bits and pieces for it and we'll have more news soon. If anyone has any good material on this early period of the band - adverts, photographs etc. do get in touch and we'll pass your info on. (Thank you for all the submissions received so far!)
    Simon adds: Lemon didn't actually get around to issuing this title, they only ballsed up Trapeze and You Are The Music!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.