Tricky turntable issue with one channel

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sharplessbeck, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharplessbeck

sharplessbeck New Member Thread Starter

I've got a Fluance turntable, Onkyo amplifier, and AudioEngine passive speakers, all less than 2-3 years old.

I've recently developed an intermittent problem where the right channel goes out or *mostly* goes out—sometimes I can still hear a tiny bit of sound coming out of the right speaker, but the left is much louder. This does not happen all of the time, just some of the time. Occasionally, I can turn the amplifier off with the record still playing, then turn it back on, and the issue will be fixed. Sometimes, that doesn't work.

I have replaced the cables connecting the speakers to the amplifier, and it did not fix the issue. I also have a CD player hooked up to my system, which does not have this problem. So I do not think it is a speaker issue.

I tried switching the cables around that connect the turntable to the amplifier. So, whereas previously both red ends of the cable were plugged into the red jacks on the turntable and amplifier (and vise versa with white cables), now I've got both red ends of the cable plugged into the white jacks (and vise versa with the white cables plugged into the red jacks). That did NOT fix the problem. The right channel was still out. So I don't think it's an issue with my cables.

Here's the wrinkle: When I mismatched the red/white cables to jacks on just ONE machine (the amplifier), the problem goes away. The cables are still plugged into their matching jacks on the turntable, but to the non-matching jacks on the amplifier. My sound is mirrored now rather than in stereo, but it comes out of both speakers.

Any idea what is going on? Sometimes when I get this problem, there is a hum that will get louder as I move my hand closer to the tonearm.

There are also a number of other devices (wireless router, television, Nintendo Switch) plugged in near the stereo.

I've not been able to find this exact problem searching through other posts, and googling hasn't helped. I am mystified! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or else I may be stuck with mirrored rather than stereo sound going forward.

2. Kardiaclp

Kardiaclp Well-Known Member

Probably not this but just checking, have you checked the leads to the cartridge? I've had issues where one or two have gotten loose and lost a channel as a result.

Adam9 likes this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Your headshell may not be making good connection, from oxidation or corrosion. This is something to try:

Take off the headshell and twist a pencil eraser on the contacts in the arm, and lightly erase across the contacts on the headshell. Pencil eraser, not an "ink" eraser. Make sure no rubber bits are left in the arm.

4. You don't list the specific bits of gear you have, and you don't list it in your profile, so how about telling us exactly what you're using?

5. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Flip your left and right channels of the turntable to the preamp around, does the problem follow the flip?

timind likes this.
  6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have had the same problem, albeit with older turntables. I've had to ensure the cartridge leads were connected properly and I suspect sometimes they were twisted or crimped as after I moved them around a bit both channels came through. New cartridge leads might alleviate the problem.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Sounds like a cart problem. I've had something similar happen on my system...it ended up being a bad connection with my cartridge.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do this. It'll tell you if the problem is with the turntable or with the amp. Proceed from there.

Adam9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.