Trigger Hippy (Gorman, Greene & Osborne)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Joan Osborne posted this on Facebook 5 hrs ago.

We are working on a new Trigger Hippy album. Stay tuned...

2. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Any idea if there is a new member to replace Greene?

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

She's a busy lady, because she's currently doing an album of Dylan covers, as well!

Bonddm and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I'm hoping Greene might be back!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

She's also touring Australia in April.

6. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Anyone heard anything about the 2nd album?

7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Any mention of who, if anyone's replacing Jackie Greene? I'm guessing Tom Bukovac won't be back at guitar on the album. His work on the first was awesome.

9. mrjinks

They posted on twitter over a year ago (Feb 26): "It's true- the new Trigger Hippy record is almost done".

Wonder what took so long?

10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

No, he doesn’t mention anyone else in the band during the interview.

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Joan released and has been promoting her Dylan songbook album.

12. mrjinks

Oh believe me, I know all about that one. Followed it from genesis to kickstarter to finished recording, catching live gigs of her Dylan set three times during and after release.

Just seems crazy to me that this other album has been in the can for a year!

Bonddm and ejluther like this.
  13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

From Joan Osborne’s Facebook.

“Dear Trigger Hippy Fans-

Many of you have been asking, on social media and in person at my shows, about TH: when will we be coming out with another album and going on tour? I’m very sad to say it, but I will no longer be a part of Trigger Hippy. Last year I met with Steve and Nick and they explained that, as part of their renewed focus on the band, they now need band members who live in Nashville and can make TH their first and only priority. As much as I would have loved to continue being part of Trigger Hippy, as a solo artist and mom I simply don’t have that option.

I’ve sincerely enjoyed the years I spent writing, recording and touring with the band, working to build a fan base and spread the love and excitement we all felt when playing together. But things change and I respect the fact that Steve and Nick have chosen to proceed this way. It’s been a joyful adventure making music with them, and I’m sure they have no shortage of great people with whom they can collaborate: if Ed Jurdi is still in the picture he’s a talented, soulful musician and a warm and lovely human being.

So, in the words of John Prine, I wish them All The Best and I hope they have great success going forward. I’m using the extra time and energy to work on new original songs, and I’ll keep anybody who’s interested informed about that. Thanks to all of you for the love and support, and I hope to see you out there soon.

Yours truly-Joan Osborne”

14. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Bummer

15. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Well that sucks.

Bonddm, ejluther and Uncle Miles like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That really sucks. Did she at least record vocals for the second album they keep saying is almost finished? If she was ready to do this album and tour, why not do that and THEN say that was it? I love Steve's drumming, but Trigger Hippy needed Joan and/or Jackie. Without them, its starting from scratch.

Bonddm, painted8 and Further like this.
  17. Further

Further Forum Resident

What a drag. They had such great promise and I was really looking forward to the new album. That first album is excellent.

Now, reduced to only one original member (Steve), it will indeed be a completely new band. With both Jackie and Joan gone, I just don’t see it happening but I guess we’ll have to wait and see what comes of it.

Bonddm and mrjinks like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Will continue to be a fan of everything Joan does ever since meeting her at when she sang at an open mic 30 years ago.

Trigger who?

Bonddm, ejluther and Uncle Miles like this.
  19. mrjinks

No kidding. When you post EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO that your album is "almost done" … what did that mean?

I have most of Jackie's work and enjoy it (early stuff more so than recent). I have virtually all of Joan's stuff (and love portions of all of it). They were what attracted me to the band. With neither around … buh-bye!

ejluther and Bonddm like this.
  20. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Nick Govrick on bass and vocals (one lead) is also an original. He had songwriting credit (most shared) for most of the tunes on that first album. Too bad. Really dug that album, and the live show I caught. So, they're down to the rhythm section....................................

Bonddm and Further like this.
  21. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

With Steve Gorman now with plenty of time on his hands (post-Black Crowes; post-FOX Sports Radio) - it's not too surprising that he and Nick are looking for a more serious commitment of time to the project than either Jackie or Joan (both successful solo artists) would be able to give them. As to whatever they had "in the can" as far as a next record, I'd guess those tunes will get reworked with the new band members or else maybe show up in 10 years in some sort of retrospective release if we're lucky and there's an audience for that sort of thing.

Interesting that Joan mentions Ed Jurdi (he's a member of Band of Heathens google tells me) as his group isn't exactly dormant with a release in 2017 ("Duende") and one just this fall ("Message From the People Revisited"). Perhaps with those two releases out and after whatever touring they have planned for those releases he'll be free to look to 2019 with Steve, Nick, and whomever else they're considering for Trigger Hippy.

The original Trigger Hippy record certainly stands tall on it's own and I consider myself lucky to have caught the Jackie/Joan version a number of times with a few different guitar players from 2011-2015. Obviously, things are going to be wildly different from here forward - but count me as significantly interested in whatever Nick and Steve put together going forward. Those guys both have great ears, not to mention chops, and being based in Nashville they'll have access to world class talent as they recruit for TH. I wish them the best and look forward to whatever they come up with.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    painted8 and southamorican like this.
  22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

While they're not necessarily communicating all the details, this looks on the surface like a terrible creative decision. It seems a bit like the guys in Garbage kicking Shirley Manson out of the group because over the years they've figured out she lives in Scotland, which is very far away.

23. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

It has always been Steve's and Nick's band, ever since their first show, almost ten years ago, with Audley Freed and Jimmy Herring. I'm sure it'll be great!

jazz_case likes this.
  24. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I'd never heard anything Joan did, and didn't care much for Greene, but the TH disc is one of my favorites.

It must have destroyed her not to be able to be a part of the band anymore.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Still nothing?
    If the second album was almost done back in February, shouldn't it be ready to go, or are they waiting to find new vocalists to take it on tour? Maybe they should just join Magpie on the road...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.