Trigger Hippy (Gorman, Greene & Osborne)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

A week late, but got the new album, and been listening to it, and it's really good!
    It sound so much like the same band from the previous album, even though half of the members are different - which is a good thing!

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  2. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Def liking the new lineup. Very strong album. Anyone know if they'll be doing any tunes from the 1st album on this tour?

jazz_case likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm interested in anything Joan does. No interest in checking this group out without her.

4. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Yes! Amber Woodhouse on Twitter

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Your loss bro! This album is as good (if not better) than the one with Osborne. And Woodhouse, while obviously not as popular, and is her own singer, has a very similar style/soul as Osborne and is almost as good - for real!

D.B., webdoggy, Rosskolnikov and 5 others like this.
  6. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Why? It seems Nick Gvorak and Gormon are the driving forces. The new material is really strong. I had doubts after they lost 2 great singers, but they are solid as ever.

webdoggy and southamorican like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Their original stuff was pretty good but not compelling and without Joan would have not caught my attention. I would listen to her sing the phone book well into the Xs.

8. I would agree. Maybe no single song as strong as "Rise Up Singing," but overall, the whole album is probably better than the first.

dgstrat and jazz_case like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So, should this thread title be amended now? Maybe it should be "Trigger Hippy (Steve Gorman and friends)" or something like that?

10. I thought Joan sounded great, but she didn't bring the best songs into that band. The new singer sounds just about as good, and the overall songwriting consistency is much higher on the 2nd record. Bass player Govrik really brought it this time.

D.B., southamorican and dgstrat like this.
  11. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

I agree the songwritng consistency is much higher now. Ed Jurdi is a great talent and, much as I love Joan, to me Amber is the better singer. Plus, she also brings this to the band:

Amber Woodhouse on Twitter

D.B. and twister like this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I wouldn't go that far, but she certainly can do justice to the Osborne parts on songs from the first album. Ditto Jurdi stepping in for Jackie Greene. I think the new album is very good and they've successfully replaced two major talents better than I expected they would be able to. I hope this lineup can stick together for awhile.

Favorites so far are:

Full Circle And Then Some
    Low Down Country Song

Maybe the two most basic tracks, but I guess I'm just drawn to the simple Stones-y type tunes.

I noticed Joan Osborne and Tom Bukovac are credited for writing on a few of the songs. I wonder if these are ones where they recorded songs with her, and then went back and re-did them with Amber and Ed. I'd still love to hear the prior recordings and hope they come out at some point.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Heh. I got psyched because I thought “Osborne” was Buzz from Melvins.

Oh well.

southamorican likes this.
  14. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

don't want to get too much into comparing Jackie & Joan to Ed & Amber. I'd just think that Nick and Steve did a great job in finding worthy [edit: successors].

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    PhoffiFozz, twister and agentalbert like this.
  15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

So do you only listen to Joan? Otherwise I don't understand why you wouldn't at least give a listen.

southamorican likes this.
  16. southamorican

New video, "The Door"

zphage, twister, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  17. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Just been listening to their new album this morning. gets the thumbs up. Nice grooves, good drumming and the mix of vocalists works well.

dgstrat, twister and allbrosca like this.
  18. twister

twister Forum Resident

Had a bit of time to listen to this at last and it’s bedding in nicely, there’s some real growers on this album. Agree with previous posters who say what a good job Steve and Nick have done in drafting in two talents like Ed and Amber.

dgstrat likes this.
  19. Corvus

Corvus Well-Known Member

20. Corvus

Corvus Well-Known Member

The Band are Ok with sharing their shows, please click on the link below to their permission....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2019
    southamorican and agentalbert like this.
  21. twister

twister Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, it’s a good AUD recording and a great set. There are a couple of other people playing here which really helps with the live sound. I think I caught the name of the guitarist as Sol Littefield who does have a credit on the album but didn’t catch the name of the keyboard player.
    There is some nice harmony guitar parts between Ed and Sol and I really love Ambers saxophone playing on The Butchers Daughter. Steve and Nick are tight. I’m starting to love this band.

D.B. and southamorican like this.
  22. southamorican

The keyboard player is Jimmy Wallace. The band has actually posted a song from Mark's recording on YouTube:

Graham, Corvus and twister like this.
  23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I never heard the 1st album. I bought the new one and was very impressed. The material was consistently good and the singing was excellent. I'll have to go back and check out the 1st one.

24. twister

twister Forum Resident

Thanks

25. Corvus

Corvus Well-Known Member

They've had a bit of a rotating cast on keys. Jimmy Wallace was there for several shows in the summer/early fall, and then was replaced by Jimmy Rowland. Rowland was unavailable for three recent shows (St. Louis, Memphis, and Louisville) and a guy named Steven Mullen played those shows.

twister and southamorican like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.