Trilogies you like but hate one of the parts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The Dark Knight Rises.

Why bother taking the super out of the hero?

I reiterate, why bother?

Return of the Jedi could have been great if the Ewoks had
    been cut. Just cut the damn Ewoks and the story unfolds
    adult-like and without unnecessary subplots or cuteness.

captouch likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Home Alone 3

3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Billion Dollar Brain is a fun film but not really up to the standard of the The Ipress File and Funeral In Berlin.
    The Harry Palmer TV movies made in the 90's aren't part of the original series. You are welcome to disagree though.

Richard--W likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Loved part 1 dearly as a kid. Saw II in the theater with my Dad--it's an extremely odd film but I liked it because we got to see the future stuff (hello, video phones).

For some reason, the Western approach of III didn't look appealing at the time and I still have never seen it to this day.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought "Shagged" was the weak link in that trilogy. "Goldmember" was a vast improvement and a return to form.

"Shagged" felt like it came from filmmakers who didn't know what to do with their success. They made a little nice movie that became a cultural phenomenon and suddenly had tons of pressure on them that didn't exist the first time.

They responded with "Shagged", a safe, cautious flick that basically just mimics the first movie.

It's not terrible, but it's not very good. "Goldmember" felt more relaxed, like all involved had the pressure of the 1st sequel behind them and they could just have fun again...

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hated "BTTF II" theatrically in 1989 and thought "III" was a welcome return to form the next year.

However, I've warmed to "II" since then. Still my least fave of the 3, but I like it...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. paste

paste Forum Resident

The first film was great, the second one has some charm, but The Bad News Bears Go to Japan was horrible.

zalla likes this.
  8. zalla

zalla Active Member

Wow that looks terrible - I need to see it.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Hammer Films' Dracula A.D. 1972 AND The Satanic
    Rites of Dracula (1973). Modern times is no place for
    the king of vampires. The Count only works for me
    in Victorian times.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I just saw The Little Mermaid again on TV right now and that got me thinking how much I love the original, love the prequel Ariel's Beginning but can't stand the second one Return to the Sea.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Home Alone 3 ...just terrible.

12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love Home Alone 1 - 3. It's all the ones that came later that stink up the joint.

13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Nolan took great gestures toward realism in these films, so a Batman who’s human body and will eventually gives out (though he finds the means to overcome the villains in the end) is right in line with that realistic take.