Trip Hop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

One cool thing about now is that so many of the classic trip hop albums are so easy and cheap to get on CD new or used. It’s awesome for new fans. And with streaming you have access to the endless amount of trip hop tracks that would cost a fortune in the CD era.

ARK, mike_mike, MikeManaic61 and 2 others like this.
  3. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

PJ Harvey dabbled in trip-hop and electronica on her excellent (and just reissued) 1998 record Is This Desire?

She also collaborated on a haunting track with Tricky around that time, called "Broken Homes".

5. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

One of the best early Aesop Rock songs but most don't know the singer and producer on the track are members of the Trip Hop duo, The Controls.

6. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

James Lavelle's group which felt more like a revolving door of musicians each album along with him having a co-producing sidekick that never seemed to stick around for more than 1 album. This comes from their best album, Psyence Fiction when DJ Shadow was a member. No one came close after that replaced Shadow. Those trademark classic drums of his :agree:

7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

The band ‘Archive’ are amazing. Their first record Londinium is a classic of the genre. They’ve moved into different genres since but the debut album is unsurpassed. This is Headspace off Londinium. The flute into guitar solo at 2:20s gives me goosebumps.

8. Wild Frank

The title track is wonderful too. It’s getting a vinyl re-issue next month coincidentally.

9. Wild Frank

Lots of people mention Tricky’s debut but his follow up ‘Pre-Millenium Tension was every bit as good.

10. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Usual suspects all mentioned, especially Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky and the like.

Kruder and Dorfmeister's K&D Seesions have been mentioned, which leads us to Rockers' Hi-Fi (try Mish Mash, where the original Going Under comes from), or Peace Orchestra, let alone Tosca (especially Suzuki or Dehli9), which are what K and, indeed, D did after.

If Peace Orchestra appeals, then check out Hidden Orchestra's Archipelago, but we are moving on a bit here.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Having met Lavelle a couple of times back in the day I had a pretty low opinion of him, but the documentary about him "The Man From Mo' Wax" is not only good, but also made me dislike him less, it's well worth watching and does deal with his relationships with collaborators and why they kept leaving.

Chrome_Head and Humbruh like this.
  12. Wild Frank

Last one from me: The wonderful DJ Krush. He made an album with Japanese trumpet player Toshinori Kondo which is joyful.

13. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Another place to go after Massive Attack, might be Horace Andy's Living In The Flood, but that is a bit more reggaefied. And with Massive Attack, I'd certainly recommend No Protection, the Mad Professor re-mix album.

However, I now run the danger of getting into dub recommendations.

14. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

I haven't seen that. I'll have to check it out :thumbsup: Knowing why the revolving door happened is nice to know and also a music doc I haven't seen that's suppose to be good..bonus.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Mono, "Life in Mono" from their only album (not to be confused with the long-running Japanese band of the same name):

ARK, Bob J, Blaine Jacobs and 3 others like this.
  16. LAL

LAL Forum Resident

She's not a trip hop artist but for this album, there is a preponderance of the style. Her next album would have very minimal electronica.

speedracer and AndrewK like this.
  17. wontfunk

wontfunk Forum Resident

Tosca - Suzuki in particular is an absolutely immaculate record.

[​IMG]

18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Starseeds, "Parallel Life". I won this album as part of a prize package and don't know a thing about this band, but it's a good song:

Blaine Jacobs and speedracer like this.
  19. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

+1 for Rebirth of Cool - i loved that series and had all the comps on CD. My favourite - from 1995 - and a good one for showcasing the cross-over of Acid Jazz and Trip-Hop is Volume 'Phive' which is available in full on YouTube

Check out that tracklisting - Jhelisa, Coldcut, Tricky, K&D, Massive Attack, Portishead, D*Note, Beastie Boys, Bomb the Bass & Justin Warfield, MC Solaar

20. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

Also, their DJ Kicks mix from 1996 - one of the best, if not the best, from that series:

21. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

On of the biggest cross-over trip hop 'pop' hits of the era...

ARK, Tuco, TurtleIsland and 4 others like this.
  22. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Exactly, Bulsara. That one's the best of the bunch. :edthumbs:

Vol. 4 "most" is also great, with DJ Krush, Tricky, Ronny Jordan, Burning Spear, etc.

speedracer and Bulsara like this.
  23. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, ran into this upthread as well, love this sound

ARK, Tuco and Bulsara like this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm confused because that's exactly what sampling is.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Tomorrow actually!