True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It was a laughable info dump, and the guy's "Punish Meee!!!" moment was inadvertently hilarious. Almost like he was a completely different character from the one we saw at other points during the show.

2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That scene could have been a Key and Peele sketch. Jordan (as Wendell) screaming “I need y’all to punish me! Come back here and punish me!!” While Keegan just shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

So stupid.

vegafleet, GodShifter and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Carmen, if you are out there, I know someone who is single and a great catch !!!

vegafleet likes this.
  4. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Oh, who are we kidding?

Everybody wanted the conclusion to present something much more salacious.

Well, HBO quickly gave us “Finding Neverland” to make up for that.

5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Just finished watching it over the weekend and it was more form/style than substance to it.

Liked it because of the 3 leads doing incredible work, and nobody has yet mentioned the great makeup work. I have never seen a movie age an actor convincingly. This one did it very well.

Hated the reveal by Mr. June, all the mystery of the murder and kidnapping led to that? What a going out with a whimper.

At least in season 1 there was a real monster at the end of the tunnel.

Which leads me to my "jump the shark" moments: (spoilers ahead):

1) No way Wayne drops the book on the floor and it just happened to fall open to the mention of the kid who was the son of the landscaper in 1980. Who he had just happen to have run into at the convent. And who never thinks to notify the police "Look who I found!!!!"

Also if the kids were 10 in 1980, they are 45 in 2015. No way that "Julie" he found was 45 years old, specially when she spent most of her life either 1)kidnapped, 2)drugged or using drugs and 3) a homeless runaway. She would look an old 45, not a garden fresh 30.

2) We are supposed to believe that the mother, Lucy, was in on it from the beginning, her son gets killed and daughter kidnapped and she manages to keep the secret all during the initial investigation and does not crack, yet writes the completely stupid block letter note to draw more attention from the police? I get that Hoyt is paying her for her silence but still...

3) In what world does a father has his crazy daughter kill a kid, kidnap another and he thinks the best way forward is to keep the kidnapped kid and pay the junky mother to keep the silence. Makes no sense.

4) The second they showed the planted backpack I said "Too clean!". But no police or CSI questioned it at the time, not even our 2 True Detectives. Took Wayne 10 years to realize it?

Having said all of that, the portrayal of dementia/memory loss/Alzheimers was dead on. We are dealing with somebody in our family who has deteriorated a lot this year and it is just heartbreaking. So many moments hit too close to home. You think they are functioning well and then you realize how lost they are when they ask a question that pulls the rug from under you.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Excellent!

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I just saw episode 1 of season 1 offered as a free teaser. I found a used DVD of season 1 which is ordered and on the way. It looked too promising to ignore.

polchik, Chrome_Head and GMfan87' like this.
  8. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Let us know what you thought of it, one of the best !

Daedalus likes this.
  9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Season 1 stands up well to anything else out there, Sopranos, BB, etc. Lightning in a bottle that could not be repeated.

10. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. I’ve just finished a rewatch of Season One with my son and it’s near perfect. There are three of four moments in the series that are staggering. Seasons Two and Three never hit the heights of One but are a lot better than they are given credit for.

11. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

2 is a mess, I say avoid it , 3 had potential but the latter half of it was quite disappointing. The acting by the two leads carries it.
    Anyone hear of possibility of a 4th season? I think after the last two that may be a dead issue.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well I’ve watched them all again season 1 is the best then S2.

polchik likes this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i was surprised they even made a third season! agree completely: the leads absolutely carried the thin plot. a real dorff renaissance

GMfan87' likes this.
  14. Daedalus

I can’t wait to watch the rest of the episodes! That 1st episode had great acting, interesting dialogue, filming was hypnotic, plot intriguing, character development on a slow burn. I am glad to hear it was a classic season.

GMfan87' likes this.
  15. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

It was no season 1 but then again not much can touch that season. It was however a vast improvement on the mess that was season 2.
    I thought the scene where his Vietnam "ghosts" appear in his bedroom was awesome.

GMfan87' and vegafleet like this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I've said before that IMO the problem with season 2 was that they tried to tell too many stories at once. They should have focused on only two characters like they did in season one.

17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I agree with that but also thought it was miscast.
    The two guys <Vaughn and Taylor Kisch(?)> and one who played the wife of Vaughn's character are weak actors and the storylines for all of them were not particularly compelling.
    I never got immersed in it, found it to be unfocused , couldn't wait for it to be done.
    3 started out well and lost it's way, the reveal was not worthwhile.
    It was boring with the repetition of the scenes between the husband and wife.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just started watching season three, two episodes so far. So far so good, anything would be better than season two. Season one was so powerful that I think it would be impossible to match it.

19. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

And you would be right.

20. Daedalus

I found some time to binge season I dvds. Good story, well acted. Worth re-watching.

GMfan87' likes this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

This is a long thread and I may have already posted this but I preferred S3 to S1. Both were about level for character develop and performance but if you scrub down S1 to the rudiments, there’s not actually much story there and there’s almost no foreshadowing of the denouement.

22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Very late to the party on this one as my wife and I just re-upped on HBO Max after a spell.

Again, there is no accounting for taste, but we are five eps in, and we think the 3rd season is great. Intense and character-focused -- We've found it completely engaging.

rogertheshrubber and sberger like this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I just think expectations were through the roof on this show after the remarkable 1st season--and both 2 and 3 fell well short of it, IMO.

Ali is terrific in S3 of course.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i still think season 2 was the outbreak of her acting career for rachel mcadams, she was excellent.

sberger likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This.

If season 1 had never happened the other two would be looked at in a much more positive light. Excellent tv.

marmalade166 and polchik like this.