True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wow, a sarky one this weekend. :laugh:

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

S1: 10/10
    S2: 9/10
    Vince Vaughn: 9.5/10!

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

To me its
    S:1 10/10
    S2: 5/10

serj and Comet01 like this.
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The buzz around season 1 was so intense that on the day after episodes, even the Chicago sports talk radio stations were spending big amounts of time discussing it.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I guess Im alone in also liking season 2.

polchik, Tokyo Ghost and Borgia like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

No you're not.

polchik, CBC, Meddle_Guy and 2 others like this.
  7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

You certainly aren't.

polchik and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

good, it deserves an even-handed consideration, and not just to be compared to the first. It's like comparing Beethoven's 7th with the 6th :)

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i loved it, and i believe that rachel mcadams became an actress doing that role.

polchik, Tokyo Ghost and PhilBorder like this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

season one was good but really got by on atmosphere and acting - story was no great shakes and the finale was just ok (imo)
    season 2 kind of fell apart and I wanted to like it
    ill check out S3 but expectations have been lowered.....

11. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Season 3 begins this Sun. -- Jan. 13, on HBO. It involves a murder mystery set in the Ozarks -- popular locale these days it seems.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It cannot be any worse than S2. I’m looking forward to this.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Solid opener. Tense and tight. Hope this is a memorable season.

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Season 1 was new golden age of TV good. I didn't think Season 2 was a bad as it was made out to be. But I thought it was unfocused because they tried to tell too many stories.

chacha likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I thought tonight's S3 premiere was a great first couple of episodes. Heavy subject matter, and an almost identical framing device here as in the first season, now with Wayne "Purple" Hays recounting his story at different points in the narrative. I thought the way the first episode jumped around was a bit off putting, but I'm getting used to it, and they use it to trippy effect in the 2nd episode. Definitely keeping the audience guessing as to what happened and how it happened with the missing children.

Mahershala Ali, always watchable, is coming into his own so far here with some marvelous acting. I mentioned to my girlfriend that it looks like he's having his Denzel moment with this series (I'll get her assessment when she watches it). Very telling that Pizzolatto wrote Hays as saying his favorite characters to read were Batman & Silver Surfer, a detective and an alien, to mirror Hays' own outlook and situation.

Strong start to the season so far.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    ex_mixer likes this.
  18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

And I think in the first season we didn't know if Rust was telling the truth. Here too we don't know if Wayne's retelling is accurate.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The truth was somewhere in between the stories that Rust and Marty told.

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, they establish pretty early on here that Wayne is having memory problems, at least in the 2015 setting. Made me wonder if we're in for some Memento-type scenarios.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Enjoyed the first two eps. Very reminiscent of season 1 that's for sure. If this series was available to binge watch I'd probably be up tonight watching most of it.

Wondering if anyone caught this bit:
    In episode 1 when the two kids in the VW big pick up the other kid, as he get's into the car, the driver says "Hey watch the leather" Matthew McConaughey's character in Dazed and Confused says that when one of the other kids is getting into his car. Likely a coincidence but I did wonder if that was a little shout out. :)

trd and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, the similarity was pretty obvious and therefore disappointing. I'm not saying that it wasn't well done, just that it felt like a safe recycling of the hit S1, after a disastrous but different S2. It all felt very familiar.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Enjoying Stephen Dorff's work as well... looking forward to how they present him in the 90's and present day (2015, I believe) timelines... caught little glimpses in the preview after EP2.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

So far so good. The framing did seem a little too much like Season 1 but it also served to wipe the awful season two from my memory.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I didn't even recognise him at first. I had a look at the cast list and then realised it was him. I can't even remember the last time I saw him in anything but he's been working consistently according to IMDb. Enjoying his performance in the first two eps.

Chrome_Head likes this.