True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I saw his name in the opening credits... last time I saw him was some kind of smoking cessation commercial (pre-Liotta LOL)... when I saw his character smoking his brains out i was like "dammmnnnnnn..."

eddiel and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent first 2 shows.

i like the 3 different times and storylines.

story 1 - will they find out who did it?

story 2 - does he go after her..

story 3 - what is upsetting him.

lots to do........how many episodes are there?

ex_mixer and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I thought Season 2 started out okay, and had some compelling moments. By the end, it had fallen flat on its face and I lost interest a bit, but I did finish it. Farrell was pretty good.

S1: 9/10
    S2: 7/10

According to IMDB, looks to be 8 just like the other seasons.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so only 6 more weeks, it'll be done before spring :(

5. Chrome_Head

Right in time for Game Of Thrones last season premiere. I'm not a GoT guy myself, but HBO certainly planned it out this way.

6. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I think they rushed into the writing and overspent for four "top draw" actors. I love Rachel McAdams, but I never bought into her in that character at all. Not one bit. And Vince Vaughn proved he never belongs in anything even remotely serious.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i like rachel mcadams too, and i think that she really expanded her acting chops in the true detective series. she didn't have to be the pretty, nice girl, and she did it very well.

chacha and Chrome_Head like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Agreed--the season perhaps could've benefited from a narrower focus. Farrell and McAdams? Ok. Farrell and McAdams AND Vaughn? Ok, but pushing it. Farrell and McAdams and Vaughn and Kitsch? Too much.

Seemed to me like Pizzolatto was going for a Wire Season 2 vibe, by throwing a brand new setting and tons of new characters at us. Ended up working pretty well for The Wire, didn't work out as well for TDS2 though.

9. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Given the star power of the other two seasons, I was surprised not to recognize any of the actors on S3 (besides Steven Dorf whom I know next to nothing about). That being said, the lead actor Mahershala Ali, is very good. I like it so far

GodShifter likes this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm really liking Season 3 - so far much better than 2 - which was pretty rough to get through - though I liked the actors.

It is a freaky idea that the legal team can go after your memory many years later as a detective as a way to get their client cleared. Creepy!

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

The first two episodes have been great eye candy. Mahershala Ali is fantastic as expected, brilliant actor, wonderful voice. I like the three different time lines idea, which takes the concept from Season 1 even further. It is not as dark as I had expected, which is a good thing.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I noticed that Matthew McConeghy and
    Woody Harrelson are listed as executive producers on season three.

13. Chrome_Head

Pretty sure they were listed as the same on seasons 1 + 2 as well.

GodShifter and EddieMann like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That's because Pizzolatto isn't in the same league as David Simon. He's barely even in the same game. Season 1 was great, but it was a fluke. All the stars aligned on that one, and a lot of talented people covered up for the bad writing. Season two showed just what a pretentious hack Pizzolatto is. I'm enjoying season 3 so far, but that's strictly because of Ali's performance. The dialog is still pretty bad.

Deesky likes this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Yeah, there was Doriff's character's choice line "I'm a feminist--if a woman wants to sell me a piece of ***, that's their right" or some such nonsense.

I think Simon's great, but I couldn't get into The Deuce. His miniseries Show Me A Hero with the great Oscar Issak showed that The Wire was no fluke, however.

I'm still undecided about Pizzolatto. Started reading one of his books a few years back, a fiction crime thriller called Galveston-- it wasn't bad but I didn't get through it all. I think the talent is there, though the execution is at times wanting.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, it is. Not only is it badly stilted, but a lot of the time I found it hard to understand what was being said due to this low-register monotone, almost mumbling, approach to line delivery. Also agree that Ali is the best thing about the new season.

Mechanical Man and Leviethan like this.
  17. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I had to watch it a second time with captions before I could figure out what anyone was saying.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is season 3 better than S2?

19. glide

glide Forum Resident

Yes

zobalob and audiomixer like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...I'll check it out...loved S1!

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  21. glide

glide Forum Resident

I figured they would be going with the Star Wars formula after the season 2 debacle. It’s still good, but very familiar after 2 episodes.

There is a lot they can do with the 3 timelines and Hays’ mental state. We will see how adventurous they get.

22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

How can Nic Pizzolatto be dismissed after one unsatisfactory season?! I can imagine it is very challenging to be a show creator, runner. I couldn't have appreciated True D season 1 more, from the top notch acting, directing, cinematography, yes the writing. After all , he is the one who framed that storyline that many of us loved, became a phenomenon. Agree some of that Season 2 dialog was clunky, but the acting, the casting was a huge miss to me as well. Biggest problem was a too big, convoluted storyline, when you got to the heart of it wasn't one you felt invested in, not interesting. Season 3 so far is vastly improved, I like that he has used some of the strong points of the first season, they worked so why not, as long as it doesn't mirror it closely. As for The Wire , I have to agree with the post about Season 2 , I thought it was very bad. Of course moving away from the story of the often compelling first season was problematic but the dock and those characters were not at all appealing. If i recommended the series to anyone, i'd say skip that season, wouldn't affect anything.
    The show though as a whole is not an enjoyable or riveting watch imo, it's like work to get thru some parts of it. While I see Simon achieved something with it , i would never sit thru it again, I can't say the same for the letter perfect Breaking Bad or TD 1.

Gumboo likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I didn't really care for episode 3 - first two were great. Hopefully it gets better.

It gets really difficult in tracking the timeline when the only queue we have is the actors hair. I feel like printing out a guide. :)

Jimbo62 likes this.
  24. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes i thought last night's epi was rather dull, couple developments, nothing major. The communion pose seemed overdone to me , that's what kids do there.. are we going for another religious sect type theme, I think likely..

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

SPOILER ALERT:

Yeah - it (the investigation in the early era) became suddenly uninteresting when we found out the girl is still alive in the middle era.